Covid Your Mouth When You Sneeze (Corona Virus/Covid-19 # 2)

Mlle. Zabzie

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Gov Cuomo announces New Rochelle plan -- just a few minutes ago. I'm not entirely clear as to what this plan involves or means, though.

He also said that the National Guard would bring in food. 

Yeah, that seems like the theatrics of a total lockdown (complete with the National Guard!), while not actually doing anything.

38 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, that seems like the theatrics of a total lockdown (complete with the National Guard!), while not actually doing anything.

Well, they are shutting down all the schools for two weeks, and all the public spaces, and crowd gathering spaces, which includes churches and synagogues, I think, -- but ... what about yoga studios and gyms? and doing a deep disinfection clean.  Which is Something.  I guess.

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Well, they are shutting down all the schools for two weeks, and all the public spaces, and crowd gathering spaces, which includes churches and synagogues, I think, -- but ... what about yoga studios and gyms? and doing a deep disinfection clean.  Which is Something.  I guess.

I don't know how you shut down New Rochelle unless you shut down all of Westchester and all of Manhattan.  Also, maybe Greenwich and Stamford.

So I’m like 6 months pregnant.   I live and work in Manhattan, and am totally reliant on public transit.     Do I need to self quarantine?    I’ve tried researching effects and added dangers, but haven’t really found anything much better than this times piece from a few days ago.   It looks like there’s not a ton of information about the effects, and it appears most of the case studies are for a little later, in third trimester.  I’m planning to ask my doctors as well, but am trying to work through what level of anxiety I should be having about this (the probability of getting it and potentially dangerous effects for my condition if I do).  

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It was a lawyer who started all this, right?

Where in heaven's name did he pick it up?

Community spread.  I think we have no idea (he is a trust and estates lawyer though, so maybe a client?).  Basically, it is likely that there are many more people in the area who are or who have been infected.

Just now, butterbumps! said:

So I’m like 6 months pregnant.   I live and work in Manhattan, and am totally reliant on public transit.     Do I need to self quarantine?    I’ve tried researching effects and added dangers, but haven’t really found anything much better than this times piece from a few days ago.   It looks like there’s not a ton of information about the effects, and it appears most of the case studies are for a little later, in third trimester.  I’m planning to ask my doctors as well, but am trying to work through what level of anxiety I should be having about this (the probability of getting it and potentially dangerous effects for my condition if I do).  

Can you work from home?  Also, pm me if you need anything. We're pretty prepped because my husband went into overdrive two weeks ago.  xoxo.

8 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I don't know how you shut down New Rochelle unless you shut down all of Westchester and all of Manhattan.  Also, maybe Greenwich and Stamford.

And that’s the real problem. Not the virus, but the overreaction to it, and it will create a chain reaction. That’s the reason I’m bailing on San Fran as a birthday getaway.  

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It was a lawyer who started all this, right?

Where in heaven's name did he pick it up?

It’s always the blood sucking lawyer’s fault. Like MZ said, didn’t you watch Jurassic Park?   

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Like MZ said, didn’t you watch Jurassic Park?   

I thought that disaster went down because a millionaire boss didn’t properly compensate his workers. One of whom was driven to desperate measures in order to get money.

21 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

There's this FAQ from the CDC.  Some of those answers are fairly mealy-mouthed, because there's a lot they don't know, but these two seem pretty important. 

Q: Are pregnant women more susceptible to infection, or at increased risk for severe illness, morbidity, or mortality with COVID-19, compared with the general public?

A: We do not have information from published scientific reports about susceptibility of pregnant women to COVID-19. Pregnant women experience immunologic and physiologic changes which might make them more susceptible to viral respiratory infections, including COVID-19.

Q: Can pregnant women with COVID-19 pass the virus to their fetus or newborn (i.e. vertical transmission)?

A: The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly by close contact with an infected person through respiratory droplets. Whether a pregnant woman with COVID-19 can transmit the virus that causes COVID-19 to her fetus or neonate by other routes of vertical transmission (before, during, or after delivery) is still unknown. However, in limited recent case series of infants born to mothers with COVID-19 published in the peer-reviewed literature, none of the infants have tested positive for the virus that causes COVID-19. Additionally, virus was not detected in samples of amniotic fluid or breastmilk.

36 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

So I’m like 6 months pregnant.   I live and work in Manhattan, and am totally reliant on public transit.     Do I need to self quarantine?    I’ve tried researching effects and added dangers, but haven’t really found anything much better than this times piece from a few days ago. 

Here's some more information from the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, I know it's UK based but it's a good source :)

If our disastrous testing system continues this way, we might hit the point where there are more confirmed cases of people who traveled to the US than confirmed cases in the US itself. 

I misheard the Italy figures initially and thought it’d jumped by 631, but it’s jumped to 631. It’s still really scary though, for me the real fear is getting it right when the hospitals are full and needing oxygen or something. I can’t wait for this to be over, I seem to be mildly but perpetually stressed about it.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Ten years of fucking over the NHS has left it in a perilous state where it can't really handle the annual case inflation from the standard flu, let alone this.

Yup, the NHS routinely hires more doctors ( and I'm sure other staff), especially ones from abroad during the winter to deal with the 'winter pressures' in a normal flu season so we'll see how this goes.

A number of banks seem to be offering mortgage breaks for up to 3 months due to the crisis. I also saw a headline (didnt have time to read the details) that Barclays is offering to help out firms impacted by the outbreak. Im a bit of an economy dunce but i assume this is to try and prevent further damage to the economy.?

Hope all pharmacy networks will do this:

https://cvshealth.com/newsroom/press-releases/cvs-health-announces-additional-covid-19-resources-focused-patient-access

Beginning immediately, CVS Pharmacy will waive charges for home delivery of prescription medications. With the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention encouraging people at higher risk for COVID-19 complications to stay at home as much as possible, this is a convenient option to avoid coming to the pharmacy for refills or new prescriptions.

Building on a recent announcement that COVID-19 diagnostic testing and all telemedicine visits are available with no co-pay, Aetna, a CVS Health company, will now offer 90-day maintenance medication prescriptions for insured and Medicare members and is working with state governments to make the same option available to Medicaid members where allowable. Self-funded plan sponsors will also have the ability to offer this option. In addition, Aetna will waive early refill limits on 30-day prescription maintenance medications for all members with pharmacy benefits administered through CVS Caremark.

Caremark is working with all clients to waive early refill limits on 30-day prescription maintenance medications. Most Caremark clients already offer a 90-day benefit for maintenance medications and the option of home delivery from CVS Caremark Mail Service Pharmacy with no delivery cost.

As for me, all travel cancelled.  Errands run early in the AM.  Distance teaching only now in our program -- though so far the university hasn't sent students home or anything.  Having to stay home as much as possible, which really REALLY sux. Around here too, with everything being multi-residential, with central stairs connecting the floors, shared garbage bins, laundry facilities,  washing hands is a constant activity

Archived