Covid Your Mouth When You Sneeze (Corona Virus/Covid-19 # 2)

Mlle. Zabzie

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Shakespeare said it best, right?

I’m not sure which one of Bill’s works you’re referencing, but you should know, as a 90’s kid, most of my connections to his works comes from Disney movies.

57 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I thought that disaster went down because a millionaire boss didn’t properly compensate his workers. One of whom was driven to desperate measures in order to get money.

True. InGen started black mailing Nedry, so he back stabbed them. However, none of the events would have happened had the lawyer not tried to keep the investors interest in the failing park.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

Didn't have to wait long for my question from yesterday. News is out that, at the request of state and local health officials, Biden and Sanders have both cancelled the rallies they were supposed to have in Cleveland tonight.

Also, apparently Michigan has so many absentee ballots this time (which election officials aren't allowed to even open, much less count, until polls close) they've already announced that they don't expect to have final results until tomorrow.

Moving this here to avoid a derail.

How long until they start canceling concerts? To fans at ball games? I wrote last week that this could be coming, and once it does the economic ripple effect is going to be horrific for so many people.

which one of Bill’s works

2HVI--

JACK CADE. Valiant I am.

SMITH [aside]. A must needs; for beggary is valiant.

JACK CADE. I am able to endure much.

DICK [aside]. No question of that; for I have seen him whipp'd three market-days together.

JACK CADE. I fear neither sword nor fire.

SMITH [aside]. He need not fear the sword; for his coat is of proof.

DICK [aside]. But methinks he should stand in fear of fire, being burnt i' th' hand for stealing of sheep.

JACK CADE. Be brave, then; for your captain is brave, and vows reformation. There shall be in England seven half-penny loaves sold for a penny: the three-hoop'd pot shall have ten hoops; and I will make it felony to drink small beer: all the realm shall be in common; and in Cheapside shall my palfrey go to grass: and when I am king,– as king I will be,–

ALL. God save your majesty!

JACK CADE. I thank you, good people:– there shall be no money; all shall eat and drink on my score; and I will apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

DICK. The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Jack CADE. Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this a lamentable thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should be made parchment, that parchment, being scribbl'd o'er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings; but I say 't is the bee's wax, for I did but seal once to a thing, and I was never mine own man since.

emphasis added.  i appreciate comrade cade's learned proposals and will be signing up for his newsletter.

we should recall that shakespeare's king john omits any recitation regarding magna carta.  

Soooo... I'm pretty sure I'm a hypochondriac, but I'm concerned and confused!

The UK advice is to call 111, but if you haven't been to an affected place or in contact with a confirmed case, they don't seem to think you can have Covid 19.

I was called back yesterday from an online assessment as I have flu symptoms and cough, but no shortness of breath.  She didn't even mention Covid but wanted me to visit my walk-in centre, which I refused  to do.  I am not leaving the house (because even if it's flu, it's obviously not one covered by the vaccine).

Shouldn't they start extending the UK testing by now?  There is a case in our town and a GP practice has been closed.  In the last 2 weeks I have used buses, taxis, and planes.  I have been in hospitals and health centres and client's homes.  I have attended work meetings and my Slimming World meeting where I took people's money.  I have been in shops and restaurants here and on Lanzarote.  I will have been in contact with hundreds of people.

I guess I am self-isolating but my family is going on as normal, although I am taking precautions to protect them and they aren't ill.  I wasn't told to keep them in either.  I've looked at advice but it just said try to avoid being in the same room as them and keep things clean.

I mean, should I call 111 again and ask to be tested?  Will they even do it if the triage computer says no?  I'm sure I'll recover, although I feel like shit now, and my only underlying condition is fibromyalgia, (which probably isn't a risk factor) but could I have put others at risk, or could my family although asymptomatic?

Arrgh.  Damn Boris!  Sort it out!

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How long until they start canceling concerts? To fans at ball games? I wrote last week that this could be coming, and once it does the economic ripple effect is going to be horrific for so many people.

I was reading BBC and some concerts have already been cancelled, Pearl Jam, Madonna and Miley Cyrus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51814696

Also read that Omniplex cinemas IN nI are implementing some kind of empty seat policy:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51814586

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just heard on our public radio that CT cancelled all highschool winter sports championships, was tagged onto the end of a Cuomo going over the New Rochelle quarantine.

Dude whose house I'm working on is a maintenance guy at RPI in Troy, they have cancelled all large gatherings, though not classes yet.

My cousin is at Harvard and I guess they're not just cancelling classes, but asking people to leave dorms.

26 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I was reading BBC and some concerts have already been cancelled, Pearl Jam, Madonna and Miley Cyrus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51814696

Also read that Omniplex cinemas IN nI are implementing some kind of empty seat policy:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51814586

11 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Just heard on our public radio that CT cancelled all highschool winter sports championships, was tagged onto the end of a Cuomo going over the New Rochelle quarantine.

Dude whose house I'm working on is a maintenance guy at RPI in Troy, they have cancelled all large gatherings, though not classes yet.

My cousin is at Harvard and I guess they're not just cancelling classes, but asking people to leave dorms.

I hope this isn’t too U.S.-centric, but I think the tipping point could be March Madness. If they don’t allow crowds, or worst, cancel the games, most of the entertainment industry in the U.S. is going to shut down, and if that happens I could see most of Europe doing the same too if they haven’t already beat us to it.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I hope this isn’t too U.S.-centric, but I think the tipping point could be March Madness. If they don’t allow crowds, or worst, cancel the games, most of the entertainment industry in the U.S. is going to shut down, and if that happens I could see most of Europe doing the same too if they haven’t already beat us to it.

Tragedy of casualties aside, cancelling a major sporting event like that could be the best thing to happen, a la the end of the classic Cable Guy.  That's what first got Kyle Gass to pick up a book, even though he had to abandon playing Mortal Kombat with his friend in Vietnam.

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As I was writing even before last week, plenty of festivals of all kinds have been cancelled in the US and the UK, starting last week, with South by Southwest (which is killing Austen's economy from bakeries with 25,000 special SXSW memorial cookies to people who valet the parking) and Emerald Comic Con in Seattle, the London Book Fair, etc.  Lots of people who work these gigs had given up other work to be doing the retail and other jobs that happen around and at festivals, conferences, concerts and conventions.  Why would sports be left out?

Even before those kinds of cancellation by the festival etc. organizers, acts and celebrities and big publishers, Hollywood, editors, writers, music stars, etc. cancelled their appearances.  It take a lot for a musician to not go on, but increasingly they are deciding not to.

NYC's Broadway and drama, dance, etc. theaters are in the process of trying to figure out what they should do.

So far, de Blasio's refused to cancel the St. pat's parade here, which I think is a big mistake, since it always brings in thousands and thousand of kids from NJ and NY who have beer for breakfast and then proceed to terrorize NYC with vomit and piss through the evening.  This cannot be a good idea this year.

13 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Tragedy of casualties aside, cancelling a major sporting event like that could be the best thing to happen, a la the end of the classic Cable Guy.  That's what first got Kyle Gass to pick up a book, even though he had to abandon playing Mortal Kombat with his friend in Vietnam.

I that’s really unfair to sports fans, and as Zorral stated, a lot of people down the chain are going to get shafted hard.  

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As i understand it, several European countries have already announced that football matches will be taking place “behind closed doors” 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51805836

From a Lancet report / article:

"So far, evidence suggests that the colossal public health efforts of the Chinese Government have saved thousands of lives," The Lancet said, acknowledging this was largely possible due to "a strong administrative system that it can mobilise in times of threat, combined with the ready agreement of the Chinese people to obey stringent public health procedures".

If that's not a euphemism for oppressive authoritarian regime that has cowed its population into submissive obedience, I'm not sure what is.

I think the only thing that free countries can do to implement similar control measures is declare martial law. I doubt health laws have the necessary teeth to lock people in their houses / apartment buildings with basically a 24hr curfew in effect.

Note in contrast to the ordinary citizenry of China being compliant subjects, we have imprisoned criminals in Italy rioting over Coronavirus control measures.

I don't want to jinx anything by saying anything concrete about possible containment here, but I have my fingers crossed. It may not be long, however, before we're going to need to put travel restrictions in place for Australia, in addition to several other countries that have free entry but recommendations to self-isolate for 14 days.

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

As i understand it, several European countries have already announced that football matches will be taking place “behind closed doors” 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51805836

I’ve seen the same reports, but there is a slight difference between the situations. First, it’s already an accepted practice to play matches without fans. This is largely due to clubs punishing the fans for being racist, but the practice itself is not unusual. OTOH, I think basketball games without fans is going to be jarring to an American audience, and the mere sight of it could lead to an increase in panic. They may be better off pushing the games back or just cancelling them. It’s unfair to the athletes, but public health obviously comes before sporting events.

35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So far, de Blasio's refused to cancel the St. pat's parade here, which I think is a big mistake, since it always brings in thousands and thousand of kids from NJ and NY who have beer for breakfast and then proceed to terrorize NYC with vomit and piss through the evening.  This cannot be a good idea this year.

Ironically Ireland has cancelled it's St Pat's parades. I guess that confirms US Irish are more Irish* than the Irish.

*To clarify, I mean more Irish in the adherence to cultural and religious traditions and not in the pejorative sense of the Irish joke variety.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve seen the same reports, but there is a slight difference between the situations. First, it’s already an accepted practice to play matches without fans. This is largely due to clubs punishing the fans for being racist, but the practice itself is not unusual. OTOH, I think basketball games without fans is going to be jarring to an American audience, and the mere sight of it could lead to an increase in panic. They may be better off pushing the games back or just cancelling them. It’s unfair to the athletes, but public health obviously comes before sporting events.

The Ivy League already cancelled their basketball tournament; giving their automatic MM berth to Yale, who had the best conference record. I think we might see a lot more of that coming; or, at the very least, empty stadium games.

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I that’s really unfair to sports fans, and as Zorral stated, a lot of people down the chain are going to get shafted hard.  

Probably.  But with the delayed action in the US, I'd rather some kids miss out on high school playoffs that have some of their grandparents die.  My sister is a senior in highschool and a varsity athlete in CT, and she's bummed but not angry.  

Also shows some inherent weaknesses in US health policy especially for gig workers.  Sports fans will deal.

Archived