Covid Your Mouth When You Sneeze (Corona Virus/Covid-19 # 2)

Mlle. Zabzie

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

That would not surprise anyone, would it?

Whoops, the page turned. Response to ljkeane’s idea Israel is trying to block visitors from the US without pissing off Trump.

Per Axios, a senior official in Israel says this is exactly what happened, and that in fact it was Mike Pence who told Netanyahu that the US would be upset if Israel put out targetted quarantines on selected travellers (i.e. Americans, Italians, etc.) but that if they made it a global restriction that they wouldn't complain.

All about saving face.

17 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, I just looked at the news reports and they say more than a million test kits have been shipped. 

:dunno:

And now I see the Gates Foundation will soon be distributing home test kits that will have a two-day turnaround period, do that’s good news.

The Trump administration's focus on the number of test kits is somewhat misleading (what else is new) because even if they ship out 1 million test kits, that doesn't mean that we can quickly process all those tests.  Because COVID-19 is a dangerous pathogen that can potentially be transmitted through droplets and other means of contamination, the labs that process these test kits must be rated as a Biosafety Level 3 lab, which is relatively high, and the technicians in these labs need to be trained in proper procedures.  There is a limited number of labs and technicians that are qualified to perform these tests.

I've seen in the news claims that the US can process around 75,000 tests a day now, but I'm skeptical that this is an accurate number.  This estimate is probably based on the total number of BSL-3 labs, the number of instruments that the labs have, and an assumption that the instruments would all be run at full capacity around the clock.  Or they could be completely making the number up, which we've seen them do over and over again.  If we really can process 75,000 tests a day, we shouldn't have any backlog of testing, and our total test numbers shouldn't be under 2000.

Through interviews with dozens of public-health officials and a survey of local data from across the country, The Atlantic could only verify that 1,895 people have been tested for the coronavirus in the United States, about 10 percent of whom have tested positive. And while the American capacity to test for the coronavirus has ramped up significantly over the past few days, local officials can still test only several thousand people a day, not the tens or hundreds of thousands indicated by the White House’s promises.

My children go to different schools; however, both had scheduled Spring Break starting at the end of the day on this Friday, reopening on Monday 3/30.  

My son's school is closed effective now.  They say the plan is to reopen on 3/30, but no promises.  My daughters' school will close at the end of the day on Tuesday.  They have a similar message regarding reopening (though a MUCH better contingency plan).  Neither has a report of Covid-19 (or suspected Covid-19) in the community (including parents).  However, they are closing "out of an abundance of caution" given what else is happening in the greater New York area.

So, here we go.  Spring Break was fortuitously located, so they won't miss that much school, but I have no real expectation that they will go back at the end of March.  Maybe towards the middle of April based on the Asian model?  They have all kinds of distance learning stuff planned, but I'm already starting to think of things I should be doing to make sure that they don't get too behind.

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don't know how true or not this is but the Guardian in their live blog seem to think they're going this far because they've reached the conclusion that they have to restrict travel from the US but don't want to piss Trump off so they're restricting travel from everywhere.

(israeli here)

yeah that's exactly what happened, the health ministry wanted to restrict travel from the us a couple of days ago but it was blocked by bibi, so now travel is restricted from everywhere (which is a good thing imo, almost all of our confirmed cases are from returning travelers, and most of them were already quarantined so that's good) for two weeks

So is there any reason to think that all other countries aren’t on the same trajectory as Italy and heading for mass outbreaks? I’m clinging to the idea that they were taken more unaware of the whole situation and we’ve (UK) been at least washing our hands. I know it’s a small measure but hopefully it takes the sting out of the peak? 

2 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

So is there any reason to think that all other countries aren’t on the same trajectory as Italy and heading for mass outbreaks? I’m clinging to the idea that they were taken more unaware of the whole situation and we’ve (UK) been at least washing our hands. I know it’s a small measure but hopefully it takes the sting out of the peak? 

Cleaning our arses, too, judging by the dearth of bogroll. Not helped by my local supermarket putting it, pasta and soap in special offer.

Wine’s not on offer, though. Bastards.

42 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

It seems like perhaps South Korea has gotten things under control through their mass testing. It also seems like Singapore succeeded through having a competent government; their latest data is 160 cases, no deaths, and only 10 patients still in intensive care.

49 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Numbers across continental Europe are rising fast. Looks like everybody is just one week behind Italy. UK looks like it's another week behind, but no reason to think it's fundamentally different there.

More cases reported here, and I fear no amount of time purifying in Lake Minnetonka will fix this.

Also, I hate being right. More sporting events canceled or played without fans, and there’s wide spread speculation that March Madness and the NBA will follow suit soon. And like @Fez speculated, political rallies in the US will probably get cancelled soon too.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

The UK is better-placed to deal with this than some countries and we are helped by a few factors (like people not being able to drive at will between countries, apart from NI and the RoI), but the government's response has been slow. We really need to now be looking at more stringent moves to limit the spread of the virus, but Boris refuses to be proactive. I get the impression Hancock wants to take firmer action of the kind that Rory Stewart has advocated, but Boris is refusing to get ahead of the curve.

Ten years of fucking over the NHS has left it in a perilous state where it can't really handle the annual case inflation from the standard flu, let alone this. The only bright light is that it's arriving here relatively late as the normal flu season is starting to wind down.

I looked at the hospital situation in Canada and the US. And then a few more countries.

The US has about 900 000 hospital beds, of which 300,000 are normally available. That’s down from about 1..5 M in the 70s when the population was smaller. The astonishing number to me was the fact that so many are usually empty, but that’s a good thing in a pandemic. It’s a rate of 2.72 hospital beds per thousand people.

Canada has about 73,000 hospital beds, which surprised me. I usually expect to see that we have roughly 1/10th of what the US has. I know we have a chronic need for beds, but I still thought we had more. Our utilization rate is one of the highest in the world, at 92%. Part of the problem is we don’t have enough long term care facilities, and elderly people are in hospital who should be in a nursing home. In other words, we are not well positioned to handle hundreds or even thousands of very ill Covid-19 patients. (I actually thought it was much worse, because the first number I found dealt only with English Canada.)

Back in 1975 we had 6.75 beds per 1,000 people, today we have 2.52.

I just looked at the UK, and your utilization rate is 84%, so you have a greater ability to cope with a bump up in admissions. And you have 2.54 beds per 1,000 people, about 167,000 beds.

The US utilization rate is 65.9%. Wow.

The Japanese have an astonishing 13.05 beds per 1,000 people, South Korea 12.27,  Germany has 8, France 5.98, China 4.34.

Gov Cuomo announces New Rochelle plan -- just a few minutes ago. I'm not entirely clear as to what this plan involves or means, though.

The biggest outbreak in the state is centered in New Rochelle, where a lawyer who was the second confirmed case in the state spread the illness. There are now 108 confirmed cases in the area. At a press conference Tuesday afternoon, Governor Cuomo said that the state would establish a one-mile-radius “containment area” within the town, and that its schools would close for two weeks beginning on Thursday. While people will still be allowed to move in and out of the area freely, large gatherings will be canceled, and there will be a focus on decontaminating the area.

New Rochelle containment will not restrict movement in and out. Will focus on shutting down and cleaning schools inside one mile radius of zone and other large meeting points or gathering areas.

He also said that the National Guard would bring in food. 

Archived