U.S. Politics: By Gawd King, That's Joe Biden's Music!!!!

Jace, Extat

9 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

If people voted for Warren or Mayor Pete or...Klobuchar and one of those had dominated Super Tuesday and the reason cited by voters was health of Bernie--I could not and would not fundamentally argue with that.

Fair enough, so your answer to this would be yes, they should.  Ok then, I don't recall every post you've made in these threads man.  I don't know if having dementia or having whatever led to Bernie's heart attack is worse for the president.  Again, because I'm not a doctor. 

Seems pretty much a wash to me though -- as does Trump, considering all three's similarity in age and Trump's refusal to produce any credible records.  The notion any of these guys is gonna have a discernible advantage on age/health seems very dubious to me.  The reason I'm dismissive is because I think it's a ridiculous premise when we're talking about three guys in their mid to late-70s and all three exhibit signs of losing it - which makes sense because they're three guys in their mid to-late 70s.

27 minutes ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

Remember that time Obama pretended to drink Flint-water? Vote your conscious Michigan.

"Pretended"? It was Flint city water, run through a filter, a point he made to tell people that if they had a filter or installed one it would make the water safe. There was distrust among citizens of Flint about the efficacy of filters that were being provided by the government, so the President of the United States personally drinking the filtered water was aimed at easing those concerns. The filters were an interim solution to the underlying problem of corroded pipes shedding lead into the water supply.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/arts/television/snl-daniel-craig-elizabeth-warren-weeknd.html

Che picked up the thread:

I don’t know who’s going to win the nomination, but watching white people fight over these old dudes is hilarious. I don’t even care who wins, just as long as they beat Trump. I’m not even really a Democrat, I just vote not-Republican. Democrats are like condoms to me. I mean, I’ll use them because it’s safer, I guess. But it doesn’t feel good

Today they are offloading the Diamond Princess passengers in Oakland, without any plan whatsoever.  Carson admitted it to Stephanopoulis.  Nada.  They aren't doing ANYTHING.

T isn't a bungler.  He's the greatest saboteur the world has ever seen.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Sure. Give me full power over the media and education and I'll get it done. It's no biggie, but as I said, there are requirements to make it happen.

Nope, you're promoting a specific vision of human nature, human society, and the social contract, all under the guise of "pragmatism."

Edit:

It seems a whopping 84% of millennials gave to non-profits in 2018 in the US. Can't be bothered to look for more data, but even I am surprised to find that high a number.

Giving to non- profits is not the same thing as paying tax to the State.  You cannot accurately claim it is.  If it were we wouldn’t need laws to force people to pay taxes.

Non-profits are issues specific.  Nation-States are not.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

"Pretended"? It was Flint city water, run through a filter, a point he made to tell people that if they had a filter or installed one it would make the water safe. There was distrust among citizens of Flint about the efficacy of filters that were being provided by the government, so the President of the United States personally drinking the filtered water was aimed at easing those concerns. The filters were an interim solution to the underlying problem of corroded pipes shedding lead into the water supply.

You can agree or disagree but it was a betrayal of Flint and gutted the morale of dems in MI. It played an important role in Sanders winning the State in the primary and Trump winning the following fall.

21 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

You can agree or disagree but it was a betrayal of Flint

I don't understand how it was a betrayal of Flint to say, look, here are filters that you can use to get safe water to yourselves and your families while we fix it. He did this after declaring a state of emergency for Flint and releasing emergency funds to help the situation. FEMA couldn't  bend the law to declare it a major disaster, but Obama _did_ sign legislation with some $100+ million of funds earmarked for Flint.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I don't understand how it was a betrayal of Flint to say, look, here are filters that you can use to get safe water to yourselves and your families while we fix it. He did this after declaring a state of emergency for Flint and releasing emergency funds to help the situation. FEMA couldn't  bend the law to declare it a major disaster, but Obama _did_ sign legislation with some $100+ million of funds earmarked for Flint.

It was betrayed because the city is ruined probably never to recover. It was economically devastated before the water crisis but It is now there is  no hope of a future. Uncertain what has happened to its children and citizens.

It was destroyed by people with either willful negligence or sadistic intent. The perpetrators namely Snyder have never been punished save for a few low level bureaucrats. The people of Flint wanted justice not filters. 

I like Obama. He is the best President in my lifetime but in this case he covered for the republicans and turned his back on his Democratic constituency.

Would love to see this exit polling in all the states, but Super Tuesday's polling represented a large turnout, and specifically way more moderate dems. And a reduction in very liberal dems. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m confused.  Do you agree with me?

All meaningful changes start with public awareness that the status quo is unacceptable and that the terms of the discussion have to be changed. In other words, "pragmatism" is the original enemy of societal progress because it entails accepting, condoning, or defending the status quo ; one needs to recognize that public perceptions are part of the problem in order to be part of a serious discussion on the means to achieve change.

In this case, if you view Piketty's work as "utopian" there's nothing I can say to change that. To be clear, the purpose of his entire work (which is bloody impressive) is precisely to make credible proposals based on solid data and analyses for people to stop thinking that "nothing can be done."
If you view all that as utopian it means you're operating under a belief system that is incompatible with any kind of meaningful change to begin with.

Dow futures are down 1,000 points right now, oil prices are down 30%, and the 10-year treasury yield just dropped below 0.5% for the first time ever. 

The economy is looking like it's about to get fucked.

32 minutes ago, Fez said:

Dow futures are down 1,000 points right now, oil prices are down 30%, and the 10-year treasury yield just dropped below 0.5% for the first time ever. 

The economy is looking like it's about to get fucked.

Ha! Wait until Trump gets Covid-19!

Sadly, Pence is only 60.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ha! Wait until Trump gets Covid-19!

Sadly, Pence is only 60.

Ted Cruz is going into a self imposed quarantine after being exposed to Covid-19 at AIPAC. The one time a pandemic doesn't just kill everyone who gets it, there is no god.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

How about we use the term senile rather than dementia since the latter is an actual medical condition and I don't think anyone mentioning it here is a doctor?  Like, last year I worked for a retiring/emeritus professor and she definitely wasn't "all there," some days I was even convinced she had a medical condition.  But I certainly never her asked her and never would have mentioned such suspicions to any professional third party.  Cuz I'm not a doctor.

The other thing I'll say, as someone that has to lecture for five hours on Fridays this semester, there's a tendency to fuck up when you speak publicly that often, and I'm less than half Biden's age.  Honestly guys, you try it and see how many times you sound like an idiot.

You know, technically "dementia" is not a medical diagnostic term since July 2013 when DSM-5 was published. They dropped that word because the way the word "demented" is used in everyday English has nothing to do with the medical meaning "dementia" had. The proper medical diagnostic term is now "neurocognitive disorder", with the subcategories of "major" and "mild".

This of course doesn't mean that the general public or even most general practitioner physicians are going to stop using the word "dementia" soon. 

8 hours ago, DMC said:

How about we use the term senile rather than dementia since the latter is an actual medical condition and I don't think anyone mentioning it here is a doctor?  Like, last year I worked for a retiring/emeritus professor and she definitely wasn't "all there," some days I was even convinced she had a medical condition.  But I certainly never her asked her and never would have mentioned such suspicions to any professional third party.  Cuz I'm not a doctor.

The other thing I'll say, as someone that has to lecture for five hours on Fridays this semester, there's a tendency to fuck up when you speak publicly that often, and I'm less than half Biden's age.  Honestly guys, you try it and see how many times you sound like an idiot.

Whatever it is that's causing it, whether there's any kind of medical condition or not at play here, the "tendency to fuck up when you speak" is a problem, and Biden is running for President, and he's doing it a lot.  And if that makes me sound like an idiot, whatever, I say tons of stuff that makes me sound like an idiot.

The problem is that you sloppily missed Kalbears original apology, in that same thread. I've bolded it down there at the bottom.

What a waste of time, I'm done with this thread.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:51 PM, Simon Steele said:

Never did that. I told a personal story about how ACA helped my son, and also hurt us (why I want M4A), but I never mentioned your son, never brought him up, etc. That was you. I may have misread it, but you still laid that at my feet.

Kalbear   

Kalbear
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  On 1/25/2020 at 3:26 AM, polishgenius said:

I believe you've confused Simon Steele with Darryk there Kalbear.

Ah, that might be. Apologies.

Since 2000, 76% of young people say they are interested in politics and 74% say they care who gets elected. And here’s the kicker: Before elections, a full 81% of young people say they intend to vote.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-young-people-vote-super-tuesday-20200303-otex6bg2gnhobjxzyzw22mygjy-story.html

30 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

the "tendency to fuck up when you speak" is a problem, and Biden is running for President, and he's doing it a lot.  And if that makes me sound like an idiot, whatever, I say tons of stuff that makes me sound like an idiot.

I meant when anyone who speaks publicly for ~5 hours a day, they're gonna tend to increasingly sound like an idiot.  Not that anyone here sounded like an idiot.  Sorry, thought that was clear.

Archived