Football: What Football?

polishgenius

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Plus it's really disrespectful to say the rest of the league doesn't matter and that attitude speaks to the English arrogance or ignorance towards other leagues especially when Spanish clubs have been the most successful in both European competitions over the past 20+ years. 

Yup. Thought we were past that kinda attitude, but apparently not!

As an aside

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Since the start of the Premier league era, there have been six different winners (Liverpool will make it 7 this season) and two of those clubs only won because of massive financial doping. During the same period, La  Liga has had 5 different winners so not a huge difference there.

3, I think you might be forgetting how Blackburn bought the title. 

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

3, I think you might be forgetting how Blackburn bought the title. 

You're right. The sheer magnitude of the financial doping by Chelsea and City makes it easy to forget Walker's bankrolling of Blackburn. 

The PL should really release in advance rules about how titles, CL places, promotion etc will be decided if season is cancelled. So that nobody has grounds for complaints if/when it happens. 

Personally I think all issues should be decided on a points per game league table at the point it ends. 

As funny as cancelling the season now would be, the best option would be to resume where we’ve left off whenever it is safe to do. Then go straight into the next season with a one off format designed to finish in May, before holding the Euros in summer 2021.

BBC reporting that three Leicester City players are in isolation after showing symptoms. 

Gabbiadini (Sampdoria) has tested positive.

A second player from Hannover 96 has tested positive.

And UEFA has called a meeting of European football stakeholders.

Honestly, I don't think the Euros are going to happen and there's a decent chance they might just give up on the Champions League and the Europa League but I'm not sure you can just give up on league seasons because it has such a knock on effect with promotion/relegation and European qualification. They're going to have to come up with something to determine league position at least as far as relegation and the European spots are concerned.

The Netherlands have suspended the 1st and 2nd divisions for the rest of this month.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Honestly, I don't think the Euros are going to happen and there's a decent chance they might just give up on the Champions League and the Europa League but I'm not sure you can just give up on league seasons because it has such a knock on effect with promotion/relegation and European qualification. They're going to have to come up with something to determine league position at least as far as relegation and the European spots are concerned.

Yeah, I think the Euros, CL and EL should be cancelled and the leagues suspended until the situation improves. Then the leagues at least can be started up again and completed in May/June. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

A second player from Hannover 96 has tested positive.

Yep, and hangover requested to postpone their next matches. They basically had to, as in their players and staff are quarantined now. So no training, no matches.

Aue's chairman Leonhardt predicted a cancellation last week. His reasoning was: as soon as a team is infected, it probably won't stay at one team, and then the scheduling problems would pile up. Thus making it impossible to finish the season properly.

Sky has announced that they'd show their match day conference broadcasts (Saturdays Bundesliga, and Sundays Bundesliga 2) on their free chan (Sky Sport News). So I guess I can at least watch my team partly on Sunday at home. They did so, because the whole no fans in the stadiums had created another problem, as in the fans would probably have gone in numbers to watch the games in pubs (closed rooms) instead of the open air stadium event.

And yes, I think the Euros will be cancelled, or get moved to 2021. I don't see how the domestic leagues could be finished before the Euros.

I know it's completely pointless game in a competition that will likely have been cancelled by next week, and I know long-term (assuming he plays another game for us) and against better opposition there are gonna be questions about his consistency and workrate, but:

Odion Ighalo that is filth.

Reports that Mendy is in self isolation after a family member at his house had fallen ill with respiratory distress - both Mendy and his relative have been tested and results are pending. Mendy will not be available for City's game against Burnley. The FA and EFL need to stop faffing about and suspend the leagues already. 

Archived