Football: What Football?

polishgenius

7 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

What happens if the PL gets canned this season? Do Liverpool lose out on the title :(

They might.... or not. There is no provision in the rules for something like this so it's just a guessing game. 

While Liverpool not winning this season would be sort of funny on some level, it doesn't make any sense. 

They are runaway winners already, and denying them the title only makes sense in a "technically correct"-scenario.

I don't think there would be many complaints if Liverpool are awarded the title. The bigger problem is the European places and the biggest problem of all is the promotion/relegation situation since that affects the entire football pyramid. If the suspension lasts for an extended period then all cup competitions should be cancelled as it's much more important to get the leagues completed. 

On 3/12/2020 at 12:16 AM, Mark Antony said:

Oh well losing to Simeones Atleti isn’t gonna make me depressed or anything. They’re a tough out for anyone. 

Honestly, I don't mind Liverpool getting knocked out of CL. Haven't bought into the whole "it'll be a bad season if they ONLY win the League".

Still, it's the way Liverpool got knocked out that bugs the hell out of me. Having everything in your hands and just dropping it like that is very frustrating to the fans. I mean, Liverpool were clearly a better team until that meltdown.

That being said, congrats to Atletico. Everyone knew what their gameplan would be, they knew it was risky to play that way at Anfield and they managed to get the result.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:56 AM, BigFatCoward said:

The PL should really release in advance rules about how titles, CL places, promotion etc will be decided if season is cancelled. So that nobody has grounds for complaints if/when it happens. 

Personally I think all issues should be decided on a points per game league table at the point it ends. 

If any season had to be cancelled it's "good" that it's one with the first team in the table having such a big margin on the rest of the pack. Positions below that would be much more difficult to determine, though.

Points per game seems to be the least bad way of determining this, but it's not that great either. I mean, one team in relegation battle could've played twice against all top teams while another had 3-4 games against those opponents. Still, that argument would be like saying that team A played team B when team B's best players were injured (or in quarantine in this case) while team C had no such advantage when playing team B.

There's no way to have everyone happy with the outcome.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

They mention UEFA having a meeting about Euro's. I guess that cancelling Euro's would give everyone enough time to wrap up their national competitions before next season. Or they could postpone it for next year?

54 minutes ago, baxus said:

They mention UEFA having a meeting about Euro's. I guess that cancelling Euro's would give everyone enough time to wrap up their national competitions before next season. Or they could postpone it for next year?

Would be good for england as we might have a fit striker next year 

Yes, if the Euro's are cancelled and moved to summer of '21, then all domestic leagues currently suspended could possibly resume late spring, except maybe Italy, but hopefully them too.

I think the Euro's will be postponed, because at the end of March the playoff teams were supposed to start their double-leg games, and I don't think that's happening. Not to mention that the special format for this tournament involves a lot of people travelling to a bunch of cities in Europe. 

And I naively thought the Netherlands winning a World Cup would signal the end on days, not Liverpool winning the bloody EPL.

Seriously PG, as much I understand your displeasure at Liverpool winning the league. But I think you went a wee bit overboard with the corona thing.

I know some crazy conspiracy theorists out there suggested, that Corona was developed and released by Bill Gates, because reasons. But here, I present to you the real culprit. PG did it.

I’m glad the various football leagues are seeing sense.  Klopp’s message, as posted by Ancalagon above, is a really good one. 

As for Liverpool fans, either we do get awarded the title for an insurmountable lead, or else we have a grievance for the ages, the nursing of which will keep us warm on the cold, post-apocalyptic nights.  The Red Sox curse will have nothing on this.  

Either way, this season will always have an asterisk next to it, just hopefully one that looks mild with the benefit of hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Either way, this season will always have an asterisk next to it, just hopefully one that looks mild with the benefit of hindsight.

On the plus side Liverpool are so far ahead I don't think there would be any real objections to us being awarded the title if the Premier League isn't able to finish all the games. It'd still be a bit deflating but it is what it is. The real issues are with a lot of teams still being well in the fight for both survival and the European spots.

I see Karen Brady's already calling for this season to be declared void. I'm sure West Ham benefiting from that has nothing to do with her opinion.

Liverpool getting the title would be understandable. The CL dispute, and, specially, the relegation fight would be the problem. Perhaps the answer would be not relegating anyone, but promoting Leeds and West Brom since they're in the top two in the Championship, and well ahead, but not any of the others since they have to go a playoff anyway.

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Liverpool getting the title would be understandable. The CL dispute, and, specially, the relegation fight would be the problem. Perhaps the answer would be not relegating anyone, but promoting Leeds and West Brom since they're in the top two in the Championship, and well ahead, but not any of the others since they have to go a playoff anyway.

You cant promote and not relegate. 

Archived