Football: What Football?

polishgenius

5 hours ago, Rorshach said:

You might think so, but remember: football is also the sport where Luis Suarez can stop a certain goal by handballing on the goal line in the last minute of extra time in a knock-out competition - and it isn't given as a goal. 

Basically, that situation is more certain than Liverpool winning the title - there is simply no way that ball doesn't go in if he doesn't break the rules. And still Uruguay went through, and a handball like that is still only (in this case that's the correct word) a penalty. 

Couldn't resist.

I comfort myself believing that in alternate universes, Uruguay was eliminated in that game, and Suarez, not just because of that transgression, was banned for life from football.

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

David Ornstein in the Athletic is saying that UEFA is going to make the clubs pay them £275 million if they want the Euros moved to 2021.

The countries could just 'do a liverpool' and send any old shit along. 

In fact each country should just randomly select their team from the population, Derek the school lollypop man could be the hero by saving a last minute penalty from Claude the butcher.

If Liverpool weren’t awarded the title I think I’d take a significant step back interest wise. I feel like finding a way to finish the season whenever they can is the least worst option considering all the promotion/relegation and European spots up for grabs but idk obviously this is unprecedented. 

18 hours ago, Rorshach said:

You might think so, but remember: football is also the sport where Luis Suarez can stop a certain goal by handballing on the goal line in the last minute of extra time in a knock-out competition - and it isn't given as a goal. 

Basically, that situation is more certain than Liverpool winning the title - there is simply no way that ball doesn't go in if he doesn't break the rules. And still Uruguay went through, and a handball like that is still only (in this case that's the correct word) a penalty. 

Sure, that can happen but it would need to happen in 8 out of 9 remaining matches. Extremely unlikely, isn't it?

18 hours ago, Consigliere said:

No, it doesn't.

Then I guess that even if Liverpool clinched the title by now, you would still think awarding them the title would set a wrong precedent because of what about the relegation battle?

EDIT:

I would love to see the rest of Premier League matches played as soon as it is safe to do so and this whole controversy put to rest. It's just that this whole notion of Liverpool getting the title being so out of this world plain stupid. If there is one team in Europe that is certain that their position in the league will remain unchanged after all the matches are played out, it's Liverpool.

2 minutes ago, baxus said:

Sure, that can happen but it would need to happen in 8 out of 9 remaining matches. Extremely unlikely, isn't it?

Then I guess that even if Liverpool clinched the title by now, you would still think awarding them the title would set a wrong precedent because of what about the relegation battle?

Yep. And that makes it more likely than the actual scenario that happened irl, and which hasn't led to any change at all. 

1 minute ago, baxus said:

No I wouldn't because it would be stupid to deny a team a title when they have already won it. If any one of the three teams in the relegation zone could no longer mathematically get out of the relegation zone then they should be relegated - doing anything else in that scenario would be idiotic. Nice victim mentality though.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

No I wouldn't because it would be stupid to deny a team a title when they have already won it. If any one of the three teams in the relegation zone could no longer mathematically get out of the relegation zone then they should be relegated - doing anything else in that scenario would be idiotic. Nice victim mentality though.

Has nothing to do with the victim mentality.

I'd definitely prefer to have this season finished properly (as much as possible with all this going on) and see Liverpool win the title properly (again, as much as possible). Not at one point have I (or any of Liverpool fans on this board, as far as I can remember) said that it would be desirable to call the league off and count that everyone's current position is their final position for the season. It would be massively unfair to deny teams that can still qualify for Europe or avoid relegation the chance to do so.

It's just this notion that it would be unfair to award Liverpool the title if the season can't continue that I find laughable. There's no team that I remember having it this much in the bag at this point of the season. I don't think even 2017/2018 City was this comfortable at the top of the table after 29 matches.

Least surprising news ever. But still, about that...

Does anybody remember that stupid FIFA World Club Cup nobody wanted or needed, which FIFA pulled out of their arses to make more money for that bunch of frauds? I can't blame you, if you didn't remember it, I forgot about it, too. Anyway, that silly tournament is supposed to take place in... Summer 2021 (in China IIRC). I am kinda looking forward to that huge dick waving contest between FIFA and UEFA. Common sense should give the Euros priority over FIFA's latest invention, but common sense and FIFA rarely work together.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hardly surprising. Start of April was never gonna work.

Fixture congestion coming up then.

Cancel the FA Cup and champions/europa league, play Saturday & Wednesday all through May in closed stadiums.  Its doable, assuming the above date isn't pushed back again and again and again. 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Its doable, assuming the above date isn't pushed back again and again and again. 

Yes, it's doable. I didn't claim otherwise. It's just gonna be games in a 3 day rhythm and hope no team has to undergo another quarantine measure along the road. And closed stadiums is a given at this point anyway.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:48 AM, ljkeane said:

I think I might pull the plug on my Sky subscription. There doesn't seem to be much point in paying for it if there's no live sport on.

I paused my Hulu live subscription for 2 months.

I don't get why they wouldn't play in empty stadiums where possible.  Sure, some teams will need to go on breaks when someone catches it, but it would allow you to plow through a lot more games.  Then if restrictions are lifted, it would be easier to get through what is left.  Some teams would have a lot of catch-up where they had to quarantine for 14 days, but the overall league would be closer to completion and there would be more certainty about who has/hasn't got points to be in some positions.  

And it would give all those stuck at home something to watch and discuss.  

Archived