Football: What Football?

polishgenius

Yeah was listening to the Ornstein and Chapman podcast about this. Just hearing about much someone like Bournemouth are spending on wages compared to their income you have to be very worried the amount of clubs who are really on the knifes edge and not prepared for big shocks like this.

You would hope after all this something will happen to protect clubs and prevent them running themselves into the ground, something far better than FFP.

The EPL did have Short Term Cost Control which ensured that clubs could not just dump all/almost all of their broadcasting money into wages and limited how much a club could increase their wage bill per season using broadcasting money. Those measures were scrapped before the start of this season however. 

German Football updates.

First of Happy Birthday to the Kicker sports magazine. It turned a 100 this week.

Now then. BUndesliga is still aiming for a restart come May.

Karl Lauterbach (MP) is not impressed by that. His reasoning, it would take aroun 20k tests if play resumed just for the top flight (excluding Bundesliga 2 and the third tier and the entirety of the Womens' game). iven the scarcity of test kits, he doesn't think that's a good/apt use of tests, given that there are not enough around for hospitals atm.

Prof. Lauterbach is actually somebody who should have an idea what he is talking about there.

So that remains interesting, as in professional Football is lobbying hard.

One of the Australian football codes (rugby) is pushing for a late May start, and getting a lot of flack for it from the government and media.  

Newcastle takeover part 900024, apparently it is finally likely to go through, maybe because clubs are going to have to sell the family silver to survive they have decided now is a good time for a cash rich owner to take charge.  

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Newcastle takeover part 900024, apparently it is finally likely to go through, maybe because clubs are going to have to sell the family silver to survive they have decided now is a good time for a cash rich owner to take charge.  

Ashley can’t be doing very well during this crisis. Silver linings and all that.

56 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Go go go

Players from obscure countries or those who played for shitty little clubs their whole career are the key here. I need to ponder.  

Valderama and Francescoli are first 2 that came to my mind. 

Preben elkjaer also needs consideration. Thankfully I'm old enough that decent players didn't all go to the same 10-15 top clubs when I first started watching football. 

I just realised this is a fucking big old spreadsheet of cross referencing, I'm not doing it on my own time. The commissioner can pay me to do it tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Players from obscure countries or those who played for shitty little clubs their whole career are the key here. I need to ponder.  

Valderama and Francescoli are first 2 that came to my mind. 

I just realised this is a fucking big old spreadsheet of cross referencing, I'm not doing it on my own time. The commissioner can pay me to do it tomorrow. 

That wouldn't make for a very good team, though. Need to focus on greats who stayed relatively constant at club level, like Paolo Maldini.

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, it ain't quick.

Here's mine, spoilered in case anyone wants to go into their own list with no pointers (I believe it stacks):

Just now, polishgenius said:

Yeah, it ain't quick.

Here's mine, spoilered in case anyone wants to go into their own list with no pointers (I believe it stacks):

Reveal hidden contents

I was just sat thinking you were a smack head with your centre forward choice, but then remembered the clash with one of your centre halves. 

Fuck this is going to be hard. 

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

That wouldn't make for a very good team, though. Need to focus on greats who stayed relatively constant at club level, like Paolo Maldini.

I meant to fill out the gaps. Maldini is a stone cold cert for left back. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I was just sat thinking you were a smack head with your centre forward choice, but then remembered the clash with one of your centre halves. 

That is exactly what happened to me, I remembered that clash about five seconds before I went to post the finished team with the striker you were thinking of.

Spoiler

Southall

Mcgrain  Terry  Van Dijk  Maldini

Valderama  Matthaus  Zico 

Ronaldo  Mbappe  Messi

I have done a rudimentary cross check. I know I said i would wait but my train is delayed. I went for flair rather than guts. The German will have to do a lot of the donkey work. 

My right back is clearly the weak link. 

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:
  Hide contents

Southall

Mcgrain  Terry  Van Dijk  Maldini

Valderama  Matthaus  Zico 

Ronaldo  Mbappe  Messi

I have done a rudimentary cross check. I know I said i would wait but my train is delayed. I went for flair rather than guts. The German will have to do a lot of the donkey work. 

My right back is clearly the weak link. 

I think that stacks, which makes it remarkable work for so quickly stuck at the station, though I'm sure you could do better than McGrain with a bit more time and convenience to check stuff... And yeah, Matthaus is gonna be working a lot there.

Good work getting Ronaldo in, him taking out three of the top clubs made him a no-go for me.

Archived