Football: What Football?

polishgenius

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think that stacks, which makes it remarkable work for so quickly stuck at the station, though I'm sure you could do better than McGrain with a bit more time and convenience to check stuff... And yeah, Matthaus is gonna be working a lot there.

Good work getting Ronaldo in, him taking out three of the top clubs made him a no-go for me.

Ronaldo fucked up zidane at 2 clubs, and he may be my favourite ever player, but it pains me to say it, CR is just better. 

I've still got a spaniard to play with, but I want messi and ronaldo and most Spaniards worth consideration have been at either of the 2 big clubs. 

Also, when the sheikh signs my front 3 for Newcastle this summer I'll have to rethink to meet the rules. 

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Chilavert

Amoros - Godin - Van Dijk - Maldini

De Bruyne - Matthäus - Socrates

Messi - Shearer - Ronaldo

Ha! You fell into the trap that BFC mentioned and I avoided! (VVD and Shearer share Southampton).

Unfortunately someone pointed out to me that that avoidance was pointless since VVD and Keane share Celtic. Replace VVD with Hyypia and bring Shearer in after all, in mine.

Ok, I give it a go.

Chilavert (GK, Paraguay), Lahm (RB, Germany), Sergio Ramos (CB, Spain), Danny Blind(CB, Netherlands), Maldini (LB, Italy), Patrick Vieira (CM, France), de Bruyne (CM, Belgium), Giggs (W, Wales), Messi (Argentina), Mane (Winger Senegal), Yeboah (FW, Ghana)

For the record, it's annoying that so many good players played at Barca or Juve at some point.

oops, missed the in my life time restriction. Updated.

FFS, forgot de Bruyne was at Chelsea, so had to switch out Drogba, too.

9 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Damn it! I'll change it:

Kahn; , Ramos,, Godín,, Van Dijk, Maldini; Scholes, De Bruyne, Mbappe, Messi, Nedved; Bebeto

If you mean Sergio Ramos, then both him and Bebeto played for Sevilla.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Ha! You fell into the trap that BFC mentioned and I avoided! (VVD and Shearer share Southampton).

I set my dad the challenge and he did exactly the same as well. 

Will anyone not have Messi?  Best player ever and only played for one club, seems a banker.  I suppose older people may go Maradona, as he doesn't tie up too many other players at Sevilla or Napoli (and most players who played for his Argentinian teams would likely be from Argentia, and excluded anyway). 

50 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If you mean Sergio Ramos, then both him and Bebeto played for Sevilla.

I can see some proper falling out when people keep getting perverse pleasure in pointing out mistakes.  Ha, let the games begin.

Just really pissed off my dad by pointing out that Pele and Beckenbauer both played for New York Cosmos. He's fucking seething. 

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Unfortunately someone pointed out to me that that avoidance was pointless since VVD and Keane share Celtic. Replace VVD with Hyypia and bring Shearer in after all, in mine.

Bloody hell. I'll just replace Shearer with Kane. Sorted. 

Right:

Oblak, Maldini, Van Dijk, Subotic, Lahm, Erikson, Dunga, De Bruyne, C. Ronaldo, Henry, Messi.

Bloody hell that's surprisingly hard. You really have to have Messi, C. Ronaldo and Maldini for me. That rules out a shit ton of top players once you take Barcelona, Real Madrid, United, Juve, Milan, Argentina and Italy out of the equation. I was really scraping the barrel with Subotic as my centre back.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ok, I give it a go.

Chilavert (GK, Paraguay), Lahm (RB, Germany), Sergio Ramos (CB, Spain), Danny Blind(CB, Netherlands), Maldini (LB, Italy), Patrick Vieira (CM, France), de Bruyne (CM, Belgium), Giggs (W, Wales), Messi (Argentina), Mane (Winger Senegal), Yeboah (FW, Ghana)

Viera played for City.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Right:

Oblak, Maldini, Van Dijk, Subotic, Lahm, Erikson, Dunga, De Bruyne, C. Ronaldo, Henry, Messi.

Bloody hell that's surprisingly hard. You really have to have Messi, C. Ronaldo and Maldini for me. That rules out a shit ton of top players once you take Barcelona, Real Madrid, United, Juve, Milan, Argentina and Italy out of the equation. I was really scraping the barrel with Subotic as my centre back.

Henry and Messi played for Barca. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Henry and Messi played for Barca. 

Shit.

ETA: I'd have to replace him with Mbappe then. Kind of cheating though because I'd forgotten about him until I was reminded by seeing him on a few lists.

ETA2: I might go with Gilberto Silva over Dunga then. I don't really actually remember Dunga particularly well, I just felt like I had to go with a defensive midfielder and Dunga was a high profile one who fitted. What's the consensus on how good he actually was?

I'm probably going to get absolutely slated for this but - I get that Hillsborough was a tragedy, it should never have happened and it will be forever a part of the fabric of British sport and society in general.  But come on, it was 31 years ago.  I don't feel the need to cover facebook on the anniversary of the Jarrow walk every year.  

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:
  Hide contents

Southall

Mcgrain  Terry  Van Dijk  Maldini

Valderama  Matthaus  Zico 

Ronaldo  Mbappe  Messi

I have done a rudimentary cross check. I know I said i would wait but my train is delayed. I went for flair rather than guts. The German will have to do a lot of the donkey work. 

My right back is clearly the weak link. 

Any team with Neville in it is bound to be great. It is known.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Viera played for City.

Dayum. Will think of something else later on. But to return the favour...

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Lahm and Dunga both former Stuttgart players.

Yes, Lahm spent his first senior seasons as loanee at Stuttgart.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Lahm and Dunga both former Stuttgart players.

Yes, Lahm spent two his first senior seasons as loanee at Stuttgart.

Huh, Henry playing for Barca slipped my mind but I had no idea Lahm played for anyone other than Bayern. I was sure he was a one club man.

I guess that confirms it then Gilberto Silva for Dunga.

Archived