Football: What Football?

polishgenius

OK, I lost most of my interest in football quite a long time ago, so I may have missed something here, but here is my line-up:

Schmeichel

Bergomi             Moore              Beckenbauer                    McGrain

Socrates                  Kante                     De Bruyne

Boniek                    Blokhin                    Cruyff

This is tough. Slowly making my way by national team, and looking at their club history. I would very much like to not count where they played on loan, or where they went to play very late in their careers merely for a paycheck and to stay in shape. And of course, youth clubs.

7 hours ago, Hereward said:

OK, I lost most of my interest in football quite a long time ago, so I may have missed something here, but here is my line-up:

Schmeichel

Bergomi             Moore              Beckenbauer                    McGrain

Socrates                  Kante                     De Bruyne

Boniek                    Blokhin                    Cruyff

de Bruyne conflicts with two players.

Peter Schmeichel ended his playing career in Manchester, playing for City. Also, de Bruyne played (or rather didn't play) under Mourinho at Chelsea, where you have Kante.

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

This is tough. Slowly making my way by national team, and looking at their club history. I would very much like to not count where they played on loan, or where they went to play very late in their careers merely for a paycheck and to stay in shape. And of course, youth clubs.

I was gutted when I remembered Gazza spent time at Everton and he clashed with my keeper. I dont think loans/youth teams should count, but late career pay checks should. 

9 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Most of these teams rely on players from the past decade or so.  Messi is a must have, which knocks out all Barcelona alumni.  But I was born in 1977 so I can lay claim to players like Zico, Gerd Müller, George Best, Dalglish and Platini (can replace Zidane, they’re both Juve but Platini doesn’t remove Real Madrid).  Jimmy Greaves is even possible but he had a short stint at AC Milan.  Ian Rush’s year at Juve knocks him out. 

Here’s my attempt to mix several eras:

Jan Oblak 

John Terry    Alan Hansen   
Wim Suurbier                       Paulo Maldini 

KDB      Zico

Messi                                     George Best

Gerd Muller    Mbappe

Edit: I just realized that Terry and KDB were both at Chelsea

Best and Müller have three things in common.

1. They were generational offense players in their time.

2. They were both alcoholics

3. They both played for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers (ofc in Florida, where else would two drunks meet).

Haven't tried the popular one here yet (yes, yes, will do and embarass myself), but I did one for Everton when a twitter thread was going round. Criteria: no same nationalitites.

Ended up with         

Southall

Yobo                                                Watson                                        Materazzi

Kanchelskis                                  Arteta                                               Gravesen                           Richarlison

Pienaar       

Lukaku                            Sharp

No, we do not defend. Defending is for sissies!

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

de Bruyne conflicts with two players.

Peter Schmeichel ended his playing career in Manchester, playing for City. Also, de Bruyne played (or rather didn't play) under Mourinho at Chelsea, where you have Kante.

Thanks. Second attempt then:

Jennings

Bergomi

Moore 

Beckenbauer

Camacho

Socrates

Keane

De Bruyne

Kempes

Blokhin

Cruyff

Continuing my slightly attacking teams, in strange formations, here is my attempt:

Southall

Maldini  van Dijk   Godin

Gilberto

de Bruyne                    Scholes                 Zidane

Maradona

Drogba                        Mbappé

56 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Continuing my slightly attacking teams, in strange formations, here is my attempt:

Southall

Maldini  van Dijk   Godin

Gilberto

de Bruyne                    Scholes                 Zidane

Maradona

Drogba                        Mbappé

De Bruyne and Drogba both played for Chelsea. ;) 

Will try to think of my team later so you'll get your chance for "revenge".

1 hour ago, baxus said:

De Bruyne and Drogba both played for Chelsea. ;) 

Will try to think of my team later so you'll get your chance for "revenge".

Too true. Realized it, and I'm trying to think of a change - either striker or right sided midfielder...

Hmm... Not the best player, certainly, but Son could fit in, perhaps. May have to play Zidane sort-of-half-wide right, but that shold be okay ..ish.

So Southall, Maldini, van Dijk, Godin, Gilberto, Zidane, Scholes, Son, Maradona, Drogba, Mbappé

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

Too true. Realized it, and I'm trying to think of a change - either striker or right sided midfielder...

Hmm... Not the best player, certainly, but Son could fit in, perhaps. May have to play Zidane sort-of-half-wide right, but that shold be okay ..ish.

So Southall, Maldini, van Dijk, Godin, Gilberto, Zidane, Scholes, Son, Maradona, Drogba, Mbappé

Mbappe and Zidane?

Man, what an annoying game. I’m sure it’s been said before been said before but fuck the Germans if they all want to play for Munich. Right, have it -

Casillas

Carlos Alberto Torres, Lizarazu, Baresi, Kompany

Gazza, Maradona, Best, Reus

Dalglish, Bergkamp

Not bad representation of my personal preferences, got one from one of the best defences ever (90s Milan), the best CB of the last ten years, some legendary players, a Scot, a Rangers star and one from the best team in my football viewing history (late 90s Arsenal)

Don't really give a fuck about Marco Reus. I’d’ve loved to have Matthäus in there but that messed up too much.

14 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

OK, let me try this again:

Chilavert, Lahm, Mihailovic, Van Dijk, Maldini;  Kante,, Modric, Messi, Francescoli, David Silva, Bebeto, 

Dammit, I was looking at using Bebeto, too, and possibly David Silva.

Archived