Football: What Football?

polishgenius

think this just does it.  Needed to be players I saw and remembered.  A bit light here and there:

Júlio César  
Lahm Terry Kompany Robertson
Bergkamp Eriksen Zidane Giggs
  Franceso Totti Messi  

57 minutes ago, ants said:

think this just does it.  Needed to be players I saw and remembered.  A bit light here and there:

Júlio César  
Lahm Terry Kompany Robertson
Bergkamp Eriksen Zidane Giggs
  Franceso Totti Messi  

Bergkamp and César both played for Inter. :)

So, looking at various peoples suggestions I think that the best team defo has Maldini and Messi. Other than that, everyone else I can see either a reasonable argument that someone else is better, or they tie up too many other clubs. 

I just don't see it with Messi. I get that his stats are amazing. But as a casual watcher these days, in the big games, he doesn't do much. Maradona dragged Argentina to success in a far poorer team than Messi plays in. And Cruyff invented the Barcelona way. I can't pick Maradona 'cause he's a cheating bastard, hence Kempes for Argentina, though I wish I'd picked Ardiles. And Cruyff for Barcelona every time.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Here’s my attempt to mix several eras:

Jan Oblak 

John Terry    Alan Hansen   
Wim Suurbier                       Paulo Maldini 

KDB      Zico

Messi                                     George Best

Gerd Muller    Mbappe

Edit: I just realized that Terry and KDB were both at Chelsea

I can fix my errors with

Oblak, Suurbier, Bobby Moore, Hansen, Maldini, Messi, KDB, Zico, Best, Lewandowski, Mbappe

or 

Oblak, Suurbier, Moore, Hansen, Maldini, Messi, KDB, Zico, Giggs, Gerd Muller, Mbappe.

It’s a fun challenge, and frustrating to have so many great individual players clashing at Barca, Ajax, Real Madrid and Juventus.  Surprising that Brazil didn’t have many individuals that I really wanted — Cafu or the original Ronaldo would have been my next choice after Zico (or perhaps Socrates).  But overall we’re spoiled for choice, and it’s possible to find room for players like VVD, Keane, Shearer, Bergkamp, Zidane, Platini, Matthaus, Beckenbauer, Weah, Ashley Cole, Totti, Del Piero, Makelele, John Giles, etc with acceptable tweaks. 

35 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I just don't see it with Messi. I get that his stats are amazing. But as a casual watcher these days, in the big games, he doesn't do much. Maradona dragged Argentina to success in a far poorer team than Messi plays in. And Cruyff invented the Barcelona way. I can't pick Maradona 'cause he's a cheating bastard, hence Kempes for Argentina, though I wish I'd picked Ardiles. And Cruyff for Barcelona every time.

I think that’s recency bias as he has shifted to conserve energy and Barcelona have doubled down on just waiting for him to conjure something.  Maradonna was an electric player, but Messi’s sustained ability to dictate play, elude/beat defenders, create chances and score goals is a definite step above.  Cruyff is hugely influential to football but far less productive as an individual player.

4 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Best and Moore = Fulham. 

In that case replace Best with Barnes and swap out Hansen, which I think is better than replacing Moore with (say) Jack Charlton.

I think it gets overlooked how incredible John Barnes was until that injury playing for England.

15 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Don’t you then have Moore and Barnes?

PS Even considering swapping Moore for J. Charlton is like swapping Salma Hayek for Nora Batty.

Barnes complicates too much.

My second team above, with Giggs instead of Best, holds up.

Oblak; Roberto Carlos, Maldini, VVD, Lahm; Aranguiz, Cazorla, De Bruyne; Messi, Mbappe, Kane

I think that works.

57 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Paul Merson suggesting Newcastle will struggle to attract the best players no matter how much money we spend. If people will follow the money to moss side they will follow it to newcastle you drunken fuck. 

Quite something from the guy who went from Arsenal to Boro for the money then commuted up from London every day.

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I can't believe you'd drop Hansen, Isk!

Hansen is still my absolute favourite Liverpool player. VVD needs to keep his level up for a good deal longer before he can be viewed as equal.

Jockey was a great player, but so was Barnes, not to mention Dalglish.

Archived