Illustration Errors

So Viserys I wore the seven-jeweled crown of his grandfather Jaehaerys and Aegon V wore the gold band of Aegon I and Viserys II. How come they're both depicted as wearing the Valyrian Steel circlet with square rubies of Aegon the Conqueror? A mistake by the illustrator?

While we have been told that Viserys I wore his father's crown, I guess that in some ocasions he could have used the Conqueror's Valyrian steel crown with square rubies. He surely had access to this crown, as his son Aegon II would eventually use it.

But having Aegon V with it, in all likelihood, a mistake. The crown seems to have disappeared a century ago with Daeron I in Dorne, and warrior-like kings such as Maekar would have worn it if it was available.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe there is one in Fire and Blood (though I don't know if the illustrations are meant to be faithful to the letter or not).

The Velaryon brothers are described as having silver-white hair but in the illustration of Alyn bringing Viserys to Aegon III he has brown hair.

• 3 months later...

AS TWW says, they're not fan art, they're professional, commissioned work. Details like that are largely up to the artist and art director to get right, and sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.

• 4 weeks later...

The only picture of Aegon V that I can find in The World of Ice and Fire is the one with his sons. He's wearing some sort of circlet there, but it's very hard to make out what it's actually supposed to look like. It does seem to have the square rubies, but the metal looks more gold than Valyrian steel to me.

30 minutes ago, Alyx Rivers said:

The only picture of Aegon V that I can find in The World of Ice and Fire is the one with his sons. He's wearing some sort of circlet there, but it's very hard to make out what it's actually supposed to look like. It does seem to have the square rubies, but the metal looks more gold than Valyrian steel to me.

Aegon V wore the crown of Aegon III which was made to symbolize the unity of the people after the Dance, It was a simple crown like Aegon I but was not made with Valyrian steel (which was felt too symbolic of  a war legacy). It was probably made of gold. 

4 minutes ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

Aegon V wore the crown of Aegon III which was made to symbolize the unity of the people after the Dance, It was a simple crown like Aegon I but was not made with Valyrian steel (which was felt too symbolic of  a war legacy). It was probably made of gold. 

I wasn't claiming that it was made of Valyrian steel or that it should have been. What I was refering to, was this:

On 3/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, Angel Eyes said:

So Viserys I wore the seven-jeweled crown of his grandfather Jaehaerys and Aegon V wore the gold band of Aegon I and Viserys II. How come they're both depicted as wearing the Valyrian Steel circlet with square rubies of Aegon the Conqueror? A mistake by the illustrator?

And I think that in the illustration in The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon V's crown looks golden to me.. :D

1 minute ago, Alyx Rivers said:

I wasn't claiming that it was made of Valyrian steel or that it should have been. What I was refering to, was this:

And I think that in the illustration in The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon V's crown looks golden to me.. :D

Actually I was just trying to support your post. I did not perceive your post to be a claim that it was Valyrian steel. 

Archived