US Politics: Vaguely above average Tuesday

Kalbear

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wonder if they will can the debate.

Already no crowd or press.  They could easily just have the debates with everybody from remote locations if they wanted.

18 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I have a friend of a friend who is going through a bit of a rough time.  I assured him that with enough Jager* in one's system the virus cannot survive there.  

Well if alcohol staves off the virus then I'll definitely survive to the post-apocalyptic phase of this.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Needs to be Jager.  If a nice pinot noir is your drink of choice the virus will thrive.  

What about whiskey or gin?  If it has to be Jager...I'll take my chances.

9 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Is this real?  From Thomas E of NYT:

There are a number of factors that explain Biden's disproportionate success vis-a-vis Hillary's when competing with Sanders.  Part of it is sexism, of course, but there's a lot of other things to consider:  

(1) A lot of the suburban voters Biden has recouped shared long-held dislike for Hillary that is not reflected with Biden.  Basically my entire immediate family is close to this category, albeit none of us were silly enough to vote for Sanders as the alternative.  (2) Biden has always done particularly well with white working-class voters, or the former base of the Democratic party before Reagan.  This isn't a new thing, he's always been strong with this demo, which is why Obama picked him to be VP in the first place over Evan Bayh and Tim Kaine, per David Plouffe.  (3) The Democratic electorate is not nearly as complacent as it was in 2016, and therefore far less willing to lodge a protest vote in the primary.  They want to win, and unfortunately they think Biden is the best candidate to do so.  I personally think he was/is the worst legit candidate to do so after Bloomberg and Sanders, but whatever, that's democracy.  (4) Biden is running up margins against Sanders with the black vote that supersede even Hillary's.  I don't know if this is more of a failure on Bernie's part or the older black vote not wanting to fuck around this time (I suspect the latter), but it's an observable and significant difference.

All of the above is why when @Kalbear tries to claim a woman can't, or almost certainly won't, win the presidency anytime soon because of Hillary losing in 2016 and its downstream effects, it pisses me off.

I have just re-watched Trump’s speech, and I have to say he looks really, really unhappy. I bet he had to be dragged to his desk kicking and screaming. His eyes are almost shut, his style is more wooden than I’ve ever seen before. It’s like his mind is full of ‘fuck this shit’.

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

On this point in particular, knowing you're not a Bernie guy, what's the unfortunately?  

Cuz of all the candidates that probably would've been better candidates nominees if the Democratic electorate wasn't so terrified of anything they weren't comfortable with.  Warren, Harris, Booker definitely.  Buttigieg and Klobuchar too although I never totally bought into them even though they lasted longer than most others.  Even Castro, Gillibrand, and Beto, although they'd probably be longshots.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

I have a friend of a friend who is going through a bit of a rough time.  I assured him that with enough Jager* in one's system the virus cannot survive there.  

*Yes, that's actually the drink of choice

Go Zwack or go home.  This is not the time for half measures either way.  Jager is half assed in my lived experience,

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Dr. Vivek Murthy who was Surgeon General under Obama is on CNN right now, and I am blown away by how striking his resemblance is to Ezra Klein of Vox.  

Think I jest?

Klein

Murthy

Doesnt look at all like Murtry.

13 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

It's not my job. Let the oh so pragmatic moderates do it. Joe's getting my vote, he's not getting my support. You act like everyone needs to do this for this Democratic establishment after they were shit on...no, I don't think so. The moderate Dems did this, they can fix it. As I said, good luck to them. I'm not thinking about the election until November, and I'm shedding this stress. I won't be surprised in November, though, when the moderates blame disenfranchised lefties that were ignored until the last minute.

Than you dont have any morals. If you wanna vote for bernie to better society, but are willing to make trump a second term president because you didnt get your way, than you a morally bancrupt.

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Different picture maybe?  They are clones but for the ethnicity. 

ETA:  I do apologize for so many posts, but here's something that jumps off of those election analyses upthread.  

Was there a serious white male Dem shift from Sanders over Hillary in 2016 to Biden over Sanders in 2020?  

I wonder now how pronounced this is across other states.  I would never have predicted this, and Longman in that article upthread seemed to be ribbing Chait a bit about his recent revelation.  

Obviously white males make up only so much of the Dem electorate, but within these primaries these are crazy shifts.   ETA:  May have overstated to what extent it was white males versus whites period.  Dang, do people hate Hillary Clinton. 

It appears there was a white male shift. But, it also appears there was a white female shift as well.

The Senate has some problems with Congress’ coronavirus aid bill.

One of them is the fact that there is no Hyde amendment language with regard to biotech companies getting funding for creating a vaccine. ie no money to be used for providing abortions.

Really.

15 hours ago, DMC said:

Dwight Eisenhower was responsible for the Truman Doctrine?  That's...anachronistic.  George Kennan's Long Telegram (and corresponding essay in Foreign Affairs) is largely responsible for the Truman Doctrine, and Kennan lived for another half century to regret it.  And the Korean War ended (well, reached an armistice, it still hasn't technically ended) seven months after Eisenhower took office.  I think you have him confused for Truman.

You should read Truman's biography by David McCullough.

Archived