MCUniverse Thread: Visualizing WandaVision

A True Kaniggit

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Pfft. He's like a 7 on a good day and I've been told she's a 10.

I'm not one to judge the attractiveness of males, but his wife is pretty hot.  And checking they've been married for twenty years.  Quite the feat for a Hollywood couple.  And yes, she's a 10.  Anyway, awesome casting.  Happy for Maslany and Marvel.

I dunno what the budget for this show is but it better be good because there is a lot of potential for a CGI character to look totally stupid if done badly and completely ruin the show.

Honestly I can’t imagine them using CGI. It seems pointless and the potential to go wrong is high.

A GotG approach to characters would work just as well. A ‘body suit’ can still fake the look of skin, especially when painted green. I don’t see the problem

Let's be real, if they CGI her, we're only going to see She Hulk for maybe 10% of each episode and Jen the rest of the time, which would kind of suck. I honestly doubt Disney is going to give this show the same budget that GotG had for Rocket and Groot or End Game had for the Hulk and even those movies were only about 2 or 3 hours long.

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I dunno what the budget for this show is but it better be good because there is a lot of potential for a CGI character to look totally stupid if done badly and completely ruin the show.

5 hours ago, sifth said:

Let's be real, if they CGI her, we're only going to see She Hulk for maybe 10% of each episode and Jen the rest of the time, which would kind of suck. I honestly doubt Disney is going to give this show the same budget that GotG had for Rocket and Groot or End Game had for the Hulk and even those movies were only about 2 or 3 hours long.

I dunno the budget for Falcon and The Winter Soldier was pretty insane, with some episodes reportedly costing $25 million. That's like 5-10 million more than the most expensive episode of Game of Thrones. They seem to be willing to spend the money. I don't think they'll do anything that might hurt the MCU brand to save some cash. 

The same budget wheelhouse as The Mandalorian as well, which has entirely CG creations and entirely CG environments (most of them, in fact). Budget is not going to be a problem for She-Hulk in any way. And they'll be doing it with CGI, likely the same system they use with Ruffalo (so getting Maslany to act out She-Hulk with motion capture and then CGI over the top).

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

The same budget wheelhouse as The Mandalorian as well, which has entirely CG creations and entirely CG environments (most of them, in fact). Budget is not going to be a problem for She-Hulk in any way. And they'll be doing it with CGI, likely the same system they use with Ruffalo (so getting Maslany to act out She-Hulk with motion capture and then CGI over the top).

Aside from IG-11, did Mando have any other CGI characters? Even he only appeared in 3 episodes, 2 of which he was given very limited screen time. 

13 minutes ago, sifth said:

Aside from IG-11, did Mando have any other CGI characters? Even he only appeared in 3 episodes, 2 of which he was given very limited screen time. 

He’s also a robot.. one of the easiest things to do with CGI whilst making it convincing. Not the same as an actual human, even a giant green one.

8 hours ago, sifth said:

Those movies had way, way more going on that needed CGI than just the characters you mention though and so does Mandalorian. That probably won't be true to anywhere near the same extent in She-Hulk, especially if they prioritise the lawyer side of her story like I assume they're gonna - she'll be the only significant CG element in probably the vast majority of her scenes.

Also from my limited understanding of how this works, a fair proportion of the cost of creating a CG character goes into the initial tracking and creating of the virtual character, but they only have to do that once so you get more value for money out of a TV show than a movie.

Making her convincingly not CGI would also be an enormous investment of money, not directly in the costume and makeup but in a stuuuuuuuuuuupid amount of forced perspective tricks and unstunt-doubles and suchlike (LotR-Hobbit-creation-style) and humungous resulting limitations on where you can put the camera. Tatiana Maslany is over a foot shorter than She-Hulk is meant to be, a bodysuit is just not going to cut it. Even moreso if there is action since you can't really make a bodysuit move like real musculature etc and that would highlight that a great deal.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Most of the characters had CG versions made of them which were used in many shots, including the Jawas, the Mandalorians, the various creatures, Kuiil's steed, Kuiil himself in many shots that weren't closeups (note: Nick Nolte isn't that short).

You are aware that the environments for The Mandalorian were completely CG and almost the entire thing was shot on a virtual soundstage? They didn't even use greenscreens very much, they mostly used real-time video screens like a modern form of back-projection. It's the same technology they used on The Lion King, but The Mandalorian's version is hugely upgraded over that (and apparently the same tech is being used for several other Disney+ shows, including the Marvel ones, but upgraded again).

Also, they have the technology they used to make the Hulk in all of the MCU films, which they're just going to reuse for this project, probably improved over what they did in the films.

I'm going to hazard a guess the scepticism is because of the incredibly effects-averse previous MCU TV shows like Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows, but She-Hulk, if the first batch of Marvel/Disney+ TV shows is any indication, will comfortably have 4-5 times the budget of any of those shows. They can afford to do the She-Hulk justice.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:41 PM, DMC said:

I'm not one to judge the attractiveness of males, but his wife is pretty hot.  And checking they've been married for twenty years.  Quite the feat for a Hollywood couple.  And yes, she's a 10.  Anyway, awesome casting.  Happy for Maslany and Marvel.

It was an Orphan Black reference :P no disputes with what you’ve said

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Most of the characters had CG versions made of them which were used in many shots, including the Jawas, the Mandalorians, the various creatures, Kuiil's steed, Kuiil himself in many shots that weren't closeups (note: Nick Nolte isn't that short).

You are aware that the environments for The Mandalorian were completely CG and almost the entire thing was shot on a virtual soundstage? They didn't even use greenscreens very much, they mostly used real-time video screens like a modern form of back-projection. It's the same technology they used on The Lion King, but The Mandalorian's version is hugely upgraded over that (and apparently the same tech is being used for several other Disney+ shows, including the Marvel ones, but upgraded again).

Also, they have the technology they used to make the Hulk in all of the MCU films, which they're just going to reuse for this project, probably improved over what they did in the films.

I'm going to hazard a guess the scepticism is because of the incredibly effects-averse previous MCU TV shows like Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows, but She-Hulk, if the first batch of Marvel/Disney+ TV shows is any indication, will comfortably have 4-5 times the budget of any of those shows. They can afford to do the She-Hulk justice.

Most CGI characters I’ve seen on tv shows have looked like crap over the years. Heck I wasn’t very impressed by the Hulk in End Game; he looked very fake to me, almost like a walking cartoon. I honestly feel CGI works best when blended with practical effects like the T Rex in Jurassic Park and the T-1000. 

On 9/19/2020 at 7:08 AM, Kalibear said:

These guys just aren't actually attracted to women are they? 

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It was an Orphan Black reference :P no disputes with what you’ve said

Is she necessary? She is so rude.

12 hours ago, DMC said:

Ah, my bad.  Never got around to watching it.

I would strongly recommend it. The first season is exceptional. The other four are pretty good and there's a bit of a dip in the middle of Season 3 but otherwise it's a great show, hugely underrated.

Yeah I rewatched it recently and it held up on the second run through. I was looking up her height before replying to this earlier and saw the actress for Shay as another search result and caught myself thinking "that's a bit weird since Tatiana didn't share any screen time with her, she was only around Cosima". She made those clones so distinct I genuinely feel like they have different actresses on set.

I've had a delightful few nights getting my sci-fi-skeptical parents over to my home theater set-up to watch The Mandalorian. I hooked Dad through promises of a western feel. He was completely disbelieving when I explained just how much on-screen is not a real set. Rendering a human form to be a main visual focus in the foreground in She-Hulk will be difficult, but I absolutely assume that'll be the case. I imagine filming it would make for some entertaining candids of Maslany standing on an milk crate to keep fellow actors' eyes in the right place.

A body suit simply won't do, unless they want the Hulked version of her to be much closer to Maslany's actual height.

(Off topic, we have eps 7 and 8 coming tonight. Mom adores Amy Sedaris, and I've generally led her to believe the actor won't be returning, so I'm excited for her claps of delight. Alas, Dad's least favorite part so far was Nick Nolte's alien, who they also believe is likely a one-off role.)

13 hours ago, karaddin said:

These guys just aren't actually attracted to women are they? 

Is she necessary? She is so rude.

There is a Krystal quote for all occasions:

"First of all my tits are way bigger than hers."

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

Yeah I rewatched it recently and it held up on the second run through. I was looking up her height before replying to this earlier and saw the actress for Shay as another search result and caught myself thinking "that's a bit weird since Tatiana didn't share any screen time with her, she was only around Cosima". She made those clones so distinct I genuinely feel like they have different actresses on set.

Agreed, it's so impressive how she brought each clone to life and gave them all distinct personalities even when they only had short screen time. I also think the scenes where she was one clone impersonating another clone are so impressive and nuanced. Such a great actress, the kind where I'll watch something just because she is in it. 

Definitely holds up well on a rewatch. Season 3 is certainly the weakest although I thought it was better watching it the second time in the context of the full story. I think all of the cast and the writers did a great job.

Anyway I don't know anything about She-Hulk but excited to see what she brings to the role regardless

The absolute best parts are when she's doing one clone pretending to be another clone and you're just completely with it and have to actually think hard "no, this is the exact same person".

Its just magical. 

Archived