MCUniverse Thread: Visualizing WandaVision

A True Kaniggit

8 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

She cancelled her twitter account.

What is it with these MCU types and social media? James Gunn's old tweets were pure cringe. Like, stuff that I'd be embarrassed to say in a private social situation a grown man broadcasts to the world. The Chris Evans raging boner, the public shaming of Chris Pratt and Elizabeth Olson, now this.

Personally, I couldn't care less. I'm not a fan of "cancel culture" per se, but if you have an outsized public profile due to your celebrity, you have a responsibility to use it carefully when you weigh in on shit that's out of your wheelhouse.

To be fair in Gunn's case, they were from over a decade ago, long before he started making films in the MCU. He's out right stated many times, that's he changed and matured as a person since then.

In James Gunn's particular case, while the tweets themselves aren't really defensible, they were (1) obviously jokes and (2) long before he really got famous and he'd clearly changed before he had to apologise. That's why he both immediately got a job at WB and why he eventually got his Marvel job back.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Imagine being a celebrity and having an opinion about anything! Career suicide. That's why so many play it safe.

There have been occasions where I've had a lot of sympathy for public figures who were treated unfairly by the mob. But, f those celebrities want to truck in conspiratorial nonsense, or think that doing a few hours of research on the internet makes them an expert in something, they deserve what they get. They can defend their views or fuck off.

There will be 300,000 grieving families in the US before the year is out and an orange skinned buffoon trying to tear down the last shred of political civility on his way out the door. My outrage is all used up right now.

55 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Marvel Actors can’t be part of the marvel thread?

akso, what did Olsen do, I missed that one.

It's what she didn't do. She didn't immediately take to social media and publicly grieve over the death of Chadwick Boseman like the rest of the planet. Some fans took her to task for it.

People's grief is their own business.

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

'Spider-Man 3': Alfred Molina Returning as Doctor Octopus

There are also rumors that pretty much everyone else is returning. Garfield, Maguire, Dunst, Stone.

On paper this sounds amazing. But take a step back and maybe I hate the idea. How do they even do this without it being some cringe worthy wink at the audience, fan service sort of crap?

Into the Spiderverse was great and it did the whole meta thing very cleverly.

But Tom Holland’s Spidey is self contained, I don’t really feel like I want it to break the fourth wall , even in a multiverse kind of way

My new crazy tinfoil theory on all these Spider-Man casting announcements is that a few of these cameos (it's gotta be mainly cameos, right?), is that we might get some if then, in actuality, in the Doctor Strange movie and possibly even a reference or two in the upcoming Wanda/Vision...

The multiverse is clearly going to be the big thing for Marvel in Phase 4, so the fact that Sony happened to make a movie setting up the idea and basically trialling it for Marvel seems to have been a happy accident (or maybe it made Marvel lean more heavily into the idea).

Stuffing too much into a film can hurt it: Endgame only got away with it by having 20+ other movies setting it up beforehand, and Spider-Verse kind of cheated a little by having six Spider-Persons but only really doing anything with three of them. At this point I think the MCU has earned the benefit of the doubt though.

Marvel seem to have learned a few lessons from past casting controversies and gotten a deaf Native American to play a deaf Native American so hooray for that.

Yeah, about that...

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The account also cited Matt Lintz rumored to play Bruno Carelli being a Trump supporter. 

I loathe trump but come on. It's one thing if the person is going to white power rallies, but 70 million people voted for the asshole are we just going to write them all off? 

44 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

On paper this sounds amazing. But take a step back and maybe I hate the idea. How do they even do this without it being some cringe worthy wink at the audience, fan service sort of crap?

Into the Spiderverse was great and it did the whole meta thing very cleverly.

But Tom Holland’s Spidey is self contained, I don’t really feel like I want it to break the fourth wall , even in a multiverse kind of way

Already did though didn't they?  J Jonah Jameson was played by JK Simmons in both.

Molina was great as Doc Ock.  I'll give Marvel the benefit of the doubt on this one.

24 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I loathe trump but come on. It's one thing if the person is going to white power rallies, but 70 million people voted for the asshole are we just going to write them all off? 

I think it was more the guy who appears to be an actual sex offender being the really big question mark.

The Trump supporter thing felt a bit weird. The Indian actors playing Pakistani roles or vice versa is also a very touchy subject to some audiences.

27 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Finally, the hiring of Yasmeen Fletcher and Zenobia Shroff being hired to play Muslim characters when they're not in real life.

And wait... since when does an actor have to share the same religion?  This isn't dressing someone up in blackface to play a different race.  Could no one but a Jewish person play Tevya in Fiddler on the Roof?  Are we upset that non-gay actors play parts like Harvey Milk or Freddie Mercury?

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think it was more the guy who appears to be an actual sex offender being the really big question mark.

Yeah, I'm not questioning that part of it.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And wait... since when does an actor have to share the same religion?  This isn't dressing someone up in blackface to play a different race.  Could no one but a Jewish person play Tevya in Fiddler on the Roof?  Are we upset that non-gay actors play parts like Harvey Milk or Freddie Mercury?

I don't see the problem with someone playing a character with a different religion either. I had no idea that the issues between India and Pakistan extended to people getting upset if someone from one country played a character from the other. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

'Spider-Man 3': Alfred Molina Returning as Doctor Octopus

There are also rumors that pretty much everyone else is returning. Garfield, Maguire, Dunst, Stone.

Just read the full article... I had forgotten that Jaime Foxx is coming back as Electro.

They really are going full Spiderverse aren’t they?!!?

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just read the full article... I had forgotten that Jaime Foxx is coming back as Electro.

Seems that way, especially with Dr. Strange in there. Though it's possible that these are just cameos for one brief sequence involving Strange and the multiverse and the rest of the movie is about something else. 

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

They really are going full nostalgia aren’t they?!!?

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

The multiverse is clearly going to be the big thing for Marvel in Phase 4, so the fact that Sony happened to make a movie setting up the idea and basically trialling it for Marvel seems to have been a happy accident (or maybe it made Marvel lean more heavily into the idea).

Stuffing too much into a film can hurt it: Endgame only got away with it by having 20+ other movies setting it up beforehand, and Spider-Verse kind of cheated a little by having six Spider-Persons but only really doing anything with three of them. At this point I think the MCU has earned the benefit of the doubt though.

I think there's plenty of reason to doubt it going forward, but I've been wrong before.

Archived