MCUniverse Thread: Visualizing WandaVision

A True Kaniggit

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Seems unlikely. It's in the present surely.

Both Marvel and DC have been doing a fair bit of this the last few years tbf. Even the Russos- they weren't as unknown, but they'd done nothing remotely like a Marvel movie before they got Winter Soldier.

The paintball episode of 'Community' which the Russos directed is the greatest sitcom episode of this century so that's something. Certainly the very best thing involving Ken Jeong to date. [dove flies by in slow motion]

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure them hiding out in Edinburgh hotels for snatched moments of time together would fit with them living a life together in an alt-universe, but also the vibe is one of 'something's gone terribly wrong' and the smoking gun for me is that line in the first trailer for it where the neighbour lady says to Vision 'am I dead because you are'. I'd be shocked if it wasn't Wanda warping reality to try to bring him back.

I got the impression that this might be occurring at the moment that Wanda was trying to destroy the Mind Gem, right before Thanos wins at the end if Infinity War...the inclusion of the gem big and bold and unset at one point was the clue that led me down that path...I'm guessing between her powers and the gem at that moment is running all sorts of scenarios, thus the different eras that seem to be represented in the show...the idea that such things are possible is what will lead her to Strange and the Multiverse of Madness as Wanda wants to recreate what she had during that single moment before Vision's death...

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Seems unlikely. It's in the present surely.

Both Marvel and DC have been doing a fair bit of this the last few years tbf. Even the Russos- they weren't as unknown, but they'd done nothing remotely like a Marvel movie before they got Winter Soldier. Same is true of Peyton Reid and Taika Watiti is obviously a very, very indie comedy director as his day job. Alan Taylor had directed a lot of tv episodes but nothing very noteworth in film before he got Dark World.

Peyton Reid isn't exactly someone I'd put on a high pedestal as a director. The guy sort of has a reputation for being a Yes Man, who hardly ever takes risks. Though part of me is still annoyed that we never got to see Edgar Wright direct Ant Man, because that man is a genius. With the exception of James Gunn, he might be my favorite writer/director.

Pretty sure Taika Watiti directed What We Do in the Shadows, before the third Thor movie, which is an amazing film. Possibly one of the greatest horror comedies every made, IMO. I'm honestly not shocked he got a Marvel gig.

17 minutes ago, sifth said:

Peyton Reid isn't exactly someone I'd put on a high pedestal as a director. The guy sort of has a reputation for being a Yes Man, who hardly ever takes risks. Though part of my is still annoyed that we never got to see Edgar Wright direct Ant Man, because that man is a genius. With the exception of James Gunn, he might be my favorite writer/director.

Pretty sure Taika Watiti directed What We Do in the Shadows, before the third Thor movie, which is an amazing film. Possibly one of the greatest horror comedies every made, IMO. I'm honestly not shocked he got a Marvel gig.

Massively annoyed we didn't get an Edgar Wright Ant-Man.

Marvel has a history of (not exclusively) recruiting directors from television. The Russo's mostly have TV credits to their names before the MCU. Same for Joss Whedon. He has one feature film directorial credit to his name before Avengers (Serenity).

7 hours ago, sifth said:

I want Wanda Vision to go full on David Lynch, but given the MCU's track record my fear is they will some how find a way to play it safe, like they did for most of their movies. Part of me would love if the whole show was just full on Jacob's Ladder and basically completely set in Wanda's head.

It does look like it could be the weirdest superhero show since Legion, although I suspect probably not as weird as the stranger episodes of that show.

I thought the trailers all looked promising. I guess this means I'll be signing up to yet another streaming service.

10 hours ago, sifth said:

Peyton Reid isn't exactly someone I'd put on a high pedestal as a director.

Sure and I feel like that's probably also true of Jon Watts, at least if his Spidey films are anything to judge by. But the point is that neither of them had done anything super well known before Marvel.

11 hours ago, sifth said:

He'd done both WWDITS and Wilderpeople before Thor. He was definitely the best known of the bunch but he was still a guy who'd directed like ten million's worth of movie max for box office of maybe fifteen in total before Marvel got him. Still a big jump and risk for them.

2020 has been such a lackluster year with absolutely no movement anywhere, that the scope of this is literally outside of my ability to comprehend. There was so much bombshell news and so many trailers, that I feel like some things are just going to randomly occur to me over the course of the next two months..."wait, there's a Fantastic Four movie in the works?"

Hailee Steinfeld was confirmed as Kate Bishop. I've been drooling over all the set photos this week. She's going to be perfect.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I didn't watch the whole event. Did they even mention Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals at all?

Yep, they just didn’t have any new footage so not much to say about them.

Oh, and they did mention GotG 3, saying they would film the holiday special alongside it, which would come out the Christmas before GotG 3 in ... I forget which year. 22? 23?

On 12/12/2020 at 6:31 AM, sifth said:

Peyton Reid isn't exactly someone I'd put on a high pedestal as a director.

If the universe were fair, and we had a 60s style Fantastic Four movie, Peyton is the person I'd want in charge of just such a movie. His work directing Down With Love is, if nothing else, a loving tribute to 60s aesthetic that would properly reflect the Kirby art of the era. But, things being what they are, I suspect Marvel's first family will have a contemporary aesthetic. Hopefully, it can at least get Don Diers on as set decorator.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

If the universe were fair, and we had a 60s style Fantastic Four movie, Peyton is the person I'd want in charge of just such a movie. His work directing Down With Love is, if nothing else, a loving tribute to 60s aesthetic that would properly reflect the Kirby art of the era. But, things being what they are, I suspect Marvel's first family will have a contemporary aesthetic. Hopefully, it can at least get Don Diers on as set decorator.

I have wondered how Fantastic 4 would work... but I like your idea of setting it in the 60s!  We already know Hank Pym was around doing his thing back then.  Lean into it!

On 12/12/2020 at 6:57 AM, DaveSumm said:

Yep, they just didn’t have any new footage so not much to say about them.

Oh, and they did mention GotG 3, saying they would film the holiday special alongside it, which would come out the Christmas before GotG 3 in ... I forget which year. 22? 23?

I don't know why, but I'm not very enthused or optimistic about the holiday special.  GotG always seemed to me to be pushing the envelope on what was appropriate for a PG-13 film. I remember seeing the killing-the-mutineers scene in GotG2 and thinking, "how the hell is this not rated R?" Like I was looking around the theater to gauge the reactions from audience members and was surprised that there wasn't much. 

It just doesn't strike me as a "Holiday Special" IP.

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Cool idea. Might be difficult to incorporate into the existing MCU without a major retcon. Although, I think there are probably fans that wouldn't really care at this point.

12 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It just doesn't strike me as a "Holiday Special" IP.

I'm 95% certain that this is the point, that they're not planning on watering it down for a family audience at all, and that it's being made purely to riff on the legendary badness of the SW Holiday special since the're both space opera.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm 95% certain that this is the point, that they're not planning on watering it down for a family audience at all, and that it's being made purely to riff on the legendary badness of the SW Holiday special since the're both space opera.

James Gunn ironically has said that growing up he loved the Star Wars Holiday special and jokingly stated that he plans to make the GotG Christmas Special just as horrible, lol

Not gona lie, I'll be a little disappointed if they don't decorate Groot like a Christmas tree.

I recently saw the Star Wars Holiday Special, about a week ago with my friends and we all agree it was one of the worst things we've seen this year..............and we saw Cats back in September................and several Niel Breen movies before that.

For all Letitia Wright is an idiot for amplifying anti-vax (and other conspiracy nonsense) views, offence intended for anyone here who thinks similarly I guess, I don't know if she should be punished by being axed from the MCU. Perhaps some people can try to help educate her about science 'n' stuff, but maybe also about PR a little bit too.

Career ending moves should be for things like actual crimes and the big -isms and people-phobias. Being a gullible idiot, even on things as important as vaccination maybe should be seen and used as a teachable moment.

13 hours ago, sifth said:

James Gunn ironically has said that growing up he loved the Star Wars Holiday special and jokingly stated that he plans to make the GotG Christmas Special just as horrible, lol

That's because James Gunn is a total creep weirdo.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

For all Letitia Wright is an idiot for amplifying anti-vax (and other conspiracy nonsense) views, offence intended for anyone here who thinks similarly I guess, I don't know if she should be punished by being axed from the MCU.

I'm sure she signed an iron-clad, unbreakable contract with The Mouse(TM) that says they can do exactly that. Unfortunately (or fortunately for her maybe), it comes at a time when the franchise is in disarray because of the death of Chadwick Boseman.

More than likely she will take a bit of a break from social media, some time will pass, and people will just not care anymore. I mean, outside of CBM news sites or discussion threads, how much traction did this story actually get?

The fandom and the entertainment press can forgive quite a bit. Just look at the situation with Joss Whedon right now.

If Hollywood didn't let people work solely for believing unbelievably stupid things it'd be a pretty barren place.  I mean, just the scientologists alone.  We wouldn't even have Bart Simpson.

I doubt anyone really cares, and I doubt there will be any sort of grand social media campaign to get her to step down, which is really what companies are worried about. I think she just said the article was interesting, so she didn't completely damn herself by sharing it.

I'd be happy for them to recast her, mainly because I found her character insufferably smug and unlikable in the movie, rather than anything the actress has said.

Archived