Love in the Time of Coronavirus (#3)

Mlle. Zabzie

51 minutes ago, Castellan said:

on tv right now they are debating whether to close various mass events.

well here in Australia they have decided the Grand Prix will go ahead as will football games with the Prime Minister and  State Premier saying they will be going to football games. It was a very long meeting about whether to cancel the Grand Prix. 

well, after mass events help spread the virus I expect they will decide to cancel mass events.

1 minute ago, Castellan said:

well here in Australia they have decided the Grand Prix will go ahead as will football games with the Prime Minister and  State Premier saying they will be going to football games. It was a very long meeting about whether to cancel the Grand Prix. 

News this morning is the F1 will likely be cancelled after heavy public pushback from the teams and McLaren pulling out.

The British government announced its next phase of Corona-countermeasures today. We're not going for school closures apparently, because of fears children would just spend more time with their grandparents. A ban on large gatherings is only going to apply in Scotland, the UK government is claiming it is the least effective way to combat the virus.

We look pretty resigned to the fact we can't contain this like China or Japan or other Asian nations. That means I would have thought sooner or later the virus will circumvent the Wuhan quarantine and get back into China in a big way through a western or middle eastern country.

Guardian

25 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It could be that the vet is willing to do a telephone consultation where you just describe the symptoms. But they might want to bring your dog in to maybe do some blood work anyway. I wouldn't "suggest" this diagnosis to the vet. Some vets don't like it when clients suggest diagnoses, even if it's come from some other vet on the internet.

Ah no, of course not, I don’t mean to know things better than the vet. I usually just list my concerns (could it be this, could it be that) and he usually tells us the problem is none of those things, but... I expect the same to happen. 

5 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

We look pretty resigned to the fact we can't contain this like China or Japan or other Asian nations. That means I would have thought sooner or later the virus will circumvent the Wuhan quarantine and get back into China in a big way through a western or middle eastern country.

Guardian

I know that in the past couple of days I have seen stories about the Chinese government taking stringent steps to make sure it is not imported back into the country.

28 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

News this morning is the F1 will likely be cancelled after heavy public pushback from the teams and McLaren pulling out.

my understanding is all morning they have been saying it is set to be cancelled but about 1/2 hour ago news channels reported on it is going ahead after all. 

Just spoke with both my parents (they're separated). My mom's doing fine. She's being better about washing her hands and not going out socially right now, but she's not very stocked up on her food or Rx medicines. I think I convinced her to get some more supplies; though not until this weekend.

As for my dad, he's sick and is convinced he has COVID-19. It's definitely a possibility, he's a lawyer about a 100 miles north of New Rochelle, so he's not that disconnected from the super spreader lawyer; and there's known community spread about 40 miles north of him as well. On the other hand, he has no fever and no shortness of breath; the big thing seems to be a real bad cough that Nyquil isn't helping (plus fatigue, aches, and chills). There's no way for him to get tested though right now. Odds are he has something else, but who knows? He's staying home at least through Monday for now, and is checking himself for fever pretty regularly. It sounds like he has plenty of food too at least.

25 minutes ago, Castellan said:

my understanding is all morning they have been saying it is set to be cancelled but about 1/2 hour ago news channels reported on it is going ahead after all. 

Andrews just announced if it goes ahead it'll be behind closed doors.

Portugal is up to 78 cases. Schools to be closed on monday. Other places had already been closed, some places are in isolation, and supermarkets are starting to get swamped.........but hundreds of people went to the beach yesterday :bang:

17 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, pretty much every film in the next 2 months has been postponed.

Called it. Everything will be shut down for two months because nobody what's to be the entity that stayed open and got people sick. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah no, of course not, I don’t mean to know things better than the vet. I usually just list my concerns (could it be this, could it be that) and he usually tells us the problem is none of those things, but... I expect the same to happen. 

Also I'm a lapsed vet, I work in govt on trade negotiations, still ostensibly using my veterinary "expertise" (I maintain my registration for that purpose), but I haven't been near a vet clinic for over 20 years. So "rusty" is a bit of an understatement. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Called it. Everything will be shut down for two months because nobody what's to be the entity that stayed open and got people sick. 

The way to keep things open would be to pass a 9-11 style law limiting liability for corona-related actions or inactions.  That is not going to happen.  And that’s probably a good thing?  So yes, I think we are going to see cascading closures that will last at a MINIMUM until mid-April and possible until post-Memorial Day.  

1 hour ago, Chaircat Meow said:

The British government announced its next phase of Corona-countermeasures today. We're not going for school closures apparently, because of fears children would just spend more time with their grandparents. A ban on large gatherings is only going to apply in Scotland, the UK government is claiming it is the least effective way to combat the virus.

Guardian

Our Belgian governments 'solved' this - after three hours of talking - by suspending the classes, but the schools should ensure that there is still day care for the children of the health care professionals (who cannot stay at home), police men, ... and the children of those who can only rely only for the grandparents. 

And they also closed the cafes, restaurants, ... :crying: And all sport, cultural events, ... are also annulled. And the shops are closed in the weekend.

1 minute ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

The way to keep things open would be to pass a 9-11 style law limiting liability for corona-related actions or inactions.  That is not going to happen.  And that’s probably a good thing?  So yes, I think we are going to see cascading closures that will last at a MINIMUM until mid-April and possible until post-Memorial Day.  

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been wondering how much liability places have for staying open. Does it require defying a governmental order, like if the Warriors played tonight with a full arena despite bans on gatherings with more than a thousand people in San Fran, or is the mere fact of staying open enough when it's know that there's a crisis in general? Or on the flip side, would governments be liable if they took no action and allowed the virus to spread? Either way, I'd bet there would be a lot of ambulance chasers who would want those cases. 

This is a bit of an interesting piece from an article in a NZ paper:

New Zealand could become a "lifeboat to save humanity from extinction" if there was a catastrophic pandemic, according to a report pre-dating the coronavirus outbreak that was published by Otago University in October.

The risk of human extinction had "never been higher" and New Zealand, Australia and Iceland would be three best places from which to rebuild society, according to the study, which ranked 20 island nations that could serve as refuges.

Co-author, Nick Wilson, a professor at the university's public health department in Wellington, was envisaging some kind of genetically-engineered pandemic that threatened the survival of the human species when he helped produce the report.

The coronavirus is certainly not such an apocalyptic disease.

But it appears bad enough to consider the question of whether it might be less disruptive to the country to bar all non-essential personal air travel to New Zealand, rather than to risk an Italian or Chinese-style lockdown in the aftermath of an uncontrollable community outbreak.

Many Kiwis and foreign travellers are already cancelling their international travel plans in the wake of partial travel restrictions, health concerns and insurance pitfalls.

No wonder a bunch of Billionaires have bought land here. It's warmer than Iceland and doesn't have wild animals that can kill you, unlike Australia. And in the case of Coronavirus there is already community spread in Australia and if not already in Iceland seems like it might be on the virge of happening

So far there does not seem to be any evidence that the disease has gone beyond the 5 cases that have officially been reported. So there is somewhat of a chance that we may dodge this bullet. Though while we may dodge the disease we aren't going to be immune to the economic impact. At least we should not run out of toilet paper, since we produce a shit ton (pardon the pun) of wood pulp and we have a few factories who's raison-d'etre is to pump out toilet paper by the boatload (or should I say buttload). We also produce food to feed 30 million, so we might not be able to import Ben and Jerries or poptarts but we should cope nonetheless. Pharmaceuticals is our weakness in global health crisis.

Private medical practices have stopped accepting patients who have 'flu-like symptoms. I do worry if medical facilities close their door to 'flu-like patients that these people won't get tested and thus control of the virus will be lost. So if you are going to keep people out of traditional faciltities to spare the other people who are vulnerable (and the workforce) then alternatives need to be made available so non-severe cases can get tested. You can tell people to self-isolate regardless of being tested, but IMO too many people won't do that unless they have a positive test.

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been wondering how much liability places have for staying open. Does it require defying a governmental order, like if the Warriors played tonight with a full arena despite bans on gatherings with more than a thousand people in San Fran, or is the mere fact of staying open enough when it's know that there's a crisis in general? Or on the flip side, would governments be liable if they took no action and allowed the virus to spread? Either way, I'd bet there would be a lot of ambulance chasers who would want those cases. 

Brave new world on this front.  Maybe better for the gallow-humor thread, but my husband, who is a litigator who does a lot of securities cases/stock drop cases on the defense side thinks he’s going to be REALLY busy (he’s already busy).  

Archived