Love in the Time of Coronavirus (#3)

Mlle. Zabzie

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

But after reading that report on the true nature of how Covid-19 spreads 

Nobody knows how covid spreads. The article was one person’s approach and mathematic method. We don’t know if that is how it spreads. It’s just a theory that may or may not be proved right in the upcoming months. 

well another office building was evacuated some time since yesterday. My colleagues will work in another completely empty building today as our client’s workers were sent home yesterday as well. I’m not sure why they didn’t cancel today with us. 

two bank branches were also closed down and are being disinfected. One in the mall were we go shopping. So I think we’ll travel to the country and stay there for a while. Will also try to convince my father to close his office and have people work from home - and tell us where the hell he is living.  

we don’t have fresh numbers because again, the official website takes ages to update. 

8 hours ago, Castellan said:

I think the British approach is probably more science based than others. They are not trying to shut up experts. I think its quite true with a large proportion of women in the workforce sending children home will end up with grandparents roped in to care for them and exposed to anything the children catch. At least the UK chief science officer and chief medical officer gave frank information e.g. that with 590 diagnosed cases they estimate the number of real cases is 5,000-10,000 and that if its assumed 80% of the population gets it with a 1% death rate that would be 500,000 deaths. Hope I have quoted correctly from memory! 

It’s weird, I’m no Tory or Boris fan but I find myself a little reassured by the approach. Whether that’s cause it’s genuinely reassuring or I’m just clinging to whatever positives I can right now, I’m not sure. But flanking yourself with experts is good for optics if nothing else.

The emphasis on isolating people with any symptoms at all seems solid. You’ll never test people in time so hopefully that eases things slightly. And I keep telling myself: maybe they really do know what they’re doing, maybe banning big events and closing schools seems like the politically ballsy thing to do, but isn’t actually backed up by the stats. I can definitely see their reasoning on flights, if it really isn’t that big a source of infections then why not focus on the things that are? And Nicola Sturgeon has a good point on schools; you can’t ground every kid for 2-3 months. If they don’t go to school, they’ll go somewhere else, somewhere they won’t be washing their hands all day (as I understand schools are enforcing now).

Australias Home Affairs minister Peter Dutton has just been diagnosed with it as well, meaning he's probably exposed a bunch of our cabinet. Looking at the timing it seems a decent chance he would have picked it up at a Five Eyes conference last week which puts him in close contact with Ivanka and Barr.

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I do have sanitizer with me at all times and I don’t think there’s more chance of contracting the virus on a train than on public transport.

A train is public transport. Unless you are a train driver.

7 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I don't get why this is presented as a new measure. Wasn't it enforced from the start?

No, up until now the advice was to call 111 or ring your GP. And to be fair, even now the probability that a cough or temperature are Covid19 are still fairly low,  there’s a bunch of other things doing the rounds.

In Sydney there's been a fair bit of panic buying (mostly toilet paper, other staples) so some things are hard to come by, but I've been a pseudo-prepper so am fine with heaps of the stuff. I ring my parents (Chinese in their late 60s) to see if they need anything from my supplies.

My father laughs. "Your mother and I grew up in third-world Indonesia and Malaysia in the 50s and 60s when you could never get your hands on anything and shortages were a fact of life." He then proceeds to tell me that he's got 2 hessian sacks of rice that are 20kg each. a veritable warehouse of canned food, multiple gas bottles to run the barbecue in case the power's cut, a portable generator to run the fridge, and two 20L jerry cans of fuel (which I suspect he only filled because it was cheap).

Surprising but kind of cool to find out that your daggy, aged parents are serious old-school preppers. I half expect them to star in the next Red film.

I just read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/mar/12/coronavirus-most-infections-spread-by-people-yet-to-show-symptoms-scientists?

But even the lowest estimates show there was substantial transmission of coronavirus from people who had yet to fall ill. In the Singapore cluster, between 45% and 84% of infections appeared to come from people incubating the virus. In China, the figures ranged from 65% to as much as 87%.

Tapiwa Ganyani, a researcher on the team, said the numbers suggest that isolating sick people would not be enough to quell the outbreak.

We have 19 infected patients now, or 18, I’m not sure because one of the first students to have covid was released yesterday after recovery. 

The trouble is, if these patients were found in office buildings, we should be testing those entire office buildings, but we have only conducted +125 tests compared to yesterday - because there’s obviously no capacity. This will likely be a turning point because the virus is now out on the streets, we aren’t just taking it home from abroad. The airport is still open as well, so I’m expecting our numbers to soar in the upcoming days. 

18 minutes ago, Jeor said:

In Sydney there's been a fair bit of panic buying (mostly toilet paper, other staples) so some things are hard to come by, but I've been a pseudo-prepper so am fine with heaps of the stuff. I ring my parents (Chinese in their late 60s) to see if they need anything from my supplies.

My father laughs. "Your mother and I grew up in third-world Indonesia and Malaysia in the 50s and 60s when you could never get your hands on anything and shortages were a fact of life." He then proceeds to tell me that he's got 2 hessian sacks of rice that are 20kg each. a veritable warehouse of canned food, multiple gas bottles to run the barbecue in case the power's cut, a portable generator to run the fridge, and two 20L jerry cans of fuel (which I suspect he only filled because it was cheap).

Surprising but kind of cool to find out that your daggy, aged parents are serious old-school preppers. I half expect them to star in the next Red film.

I had actually wondered whether people who had been migrants or refugees were more on the ball with this stuff also possibly suffering more anxiety. I'm glad they don't have the anxiety!

I have been picturing a huge sack of rice and a huge can of oil but I only have 3 little sacks and a smallish can of oil. I might have to lift my act.

When I went to the supermarket yesterday evening, it was surprisingly non-apocalyptical, there wasn't even particularly long queues, though there was no meat, no pasta and no toilet paper whatsoever. Plus shortages of rice and groats.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

People really are digging in for the apocalypse. There has been no toilet paper or hand sanitizer for a week , and now there is no rice, pasta, tuna.. basically anything that will last for a long time. It’s quite insane.

what country?

1 hour ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

It isn't known at the moment as there isn't enough data. With flu, this is the case (being infectious to others prior to onset of symptoms). With SARS it was not.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I have a friend who won't stop tweetings about how this is all just panic over nothing and we're just helping spread it...mainly cause's hes having a hissy about sports being canned. Just. I kind of want to slap him a bunch.

Awful to have friends who are that stupid. OTOH, are they a lost cause or can they be educated?

Archived