Love in the Time of Coronavirus (#3)

Mlle. Zabzie

7 hours ago, Jeor said:

As a high school teacher myself, a few of my older colleagues have been joking that online learning better not go too well! Schools in Sydney have not shut down but obviously preparations are being made in case that happens, so a lot of intensive work is going into beefing up our online offerings. Some of the older staff here are worried that this is going to be a Trojan horse for pushing all manner of technological pedagogy, some of which have very thin evidence.

Having done horrible e-learning modules in my last days at work (you can just arbitrarily push buttons until you end up with the correct buttons to say you understand the ethics of your agency) and tried a few coursera courses (a couple were quite good but I have had a proper education in the past and was just doing them for fun) I feel very sorry for students stuck with online learning. Especlally if you were planning to head off to college and instead you will be sitting at a screen. What a drag.

Its true as soon as you can do something cheaply that you can then say ticks all the boxes on some other rubbishly list of objectives it will become entrenched.

Universities in the UK have been posting their content online for years, including online lecture captures. It hasn't brought about the end times yet. Discussion of the content in class was helpful and all but really in this day and age that's easy to do online, either by conference call or online chat room. 

I guess my attitude to this is different to others because of my own uni experiences. But I find the article Zorral posted ridiculous. Do a bad job posting your online learning because people have bigger things to worry about? Not really understanding the logic there

All international arrivals except from most Pacific Islands have to self-isolate from Sunday. My friend's elderly mother went back to Australia on Friday to sort some step-family crap out and then will move here permanently. She is planning to come back in May, I wonder if this self isolation requirement will still be in place then. If we still don;t have the virus freely circulating by then I imagine we'll keep this restriction on until the rest of the world is fully in recovery mode.

Travel bans still in place for China, Korea, Iran and italy. But that is kind of ridiculous now since the whole world has it. We banned China arrivals, but we got the virus first from Iran, and then we banned Iran arrivals, then we got more of the virus from Italy, then we banned Italy arrivals. I guess they might as well keep those bans in place for show, but there's no point in banning the whole world. We're probably at a high chance of an arrival from Australia being the next person to come in with the virus.

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I do a lot of work in funds and I'm kind of surprised we haven't had investors pulling out. In fact for the upcoming close at the end of April it looks like we might have the most investors yet

I think the extremely low interest rates all around the world have investors searching for anything that might give them returns, which has probably kept more than a few operations afloat that ordinarily would have had trouble getting funds.

In my opinion there's still a shoe (or two) to drop on the financial markets situation, and I think stocks worldwide still have a bit to fall yet. If the credit markets really start seizing up then all it will take is another Lehman Brothers and we're in a whole new world of pain.

21 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Having done horrible e-learning modules in my last days at work [ ...] I feel very sorry for students stuck with online learning. Especlally if you were planning to head off to college and instead you will be sitting at a screen. What a drag.

15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Universities in the UK have been posting their content online for years, including online lecture captures. It hasn't brought about the end times yet.

[...] I guess my attitude to this is different to others because of my own uni experiences.

Some people like it, some people hate it. That's not the point though. The point is that many schools would love to be able to cut costs thanks to e-learning, regardless of whether this is good for students. Some classes do not require physical presence, but others do.

It's funny, I agreed to spearhead the development of e-learning in my university last thursday and now everyone has to get on board. But I'm asking for $$ in exchange for my work. Never do this shit for free and be careful not to make yourself redundant.

Going off my earlier post I can think of a few economic issues that COVID-19 is going to pose, some short-term and some long-term...

Credit crisis: I think this is still possible. A wave of small business bankruptcies, the US oil industry going under - all it takes is something like that to touch a bank, start a run and then this whole thing morphs into a much bigger financial problem.

Workplace evolution: Anyone in commercial real estate has got to be sweating now. When things go back to normal, a whole lot of businesses are going to realise that online work and flexible arrangements are do-able and they don't need to spend so much on office space. I think the commercial real estate market is set for a long downturn, and the evolution of the workplace in general is going to be highly accelerated.

Some industries like travel (airlines, hotels, countries relying on it) are going to be hit hard, but I think they'll bounce back swiftly. Travel is a pent-up demand sort of thing...once it's all clear, people will be super keen to get out and go on that holiday that they postponed. The cruise industry might not have so much luck, though.

I do wonder whether this is going to end up being big enough to affect the trajectory of the American healthcare system. That would be seismic.

I think it will be interesting whether this will permanently change the way we work.

My old company has just said everyone has to work remotely for a month. They were previously ok with occasional remote work but any more than 1 day a week was frowned upon.

if after a month they realise they can function perfectly well this way then maybe there will be far more of a push to keep people working from home. 

That in of itself could affect the office space business 

A lot of smaller companies have wanted to go fully remote for years, to save on business rates, property utility bills, enormous rents, office managers etc (and to keep miserable commuter workers happy), but have been reluctant to press the button on it. This will encourage many of them to do it permanently, I think.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Teachers should indeed be very careful about what they choose to do. Also check what their school's policy on intellectual property is btw...

School's policy? In the USA any school or university whose policy is not governed by the copyright laws would be silly. Most campuses will have someone (usually a librarian) who's an expert on copyright issues.

37 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think it will be interesting whether this will permanently change the way we work.

My old company has just said everyone has to work remotely for a month. They were previously ok with occasional remote work but any more than 1 day a week was frowned upon.

if after a month they realise they can function perfectly well this way then maybe there will be far more of a push to keep people working from home. 

That in of itself could affect the office space business 

Yeah our firm is in a similar position. London have always had people working remotely occasionally, though our office hasn't really embraced that. Following the success of our remote working test the last two days though we've had emails from the managing partner which, on my reading of them, seem to indicate he hopes to roll this out on a more permanent basis after this is over

I’ve worked in entirely remote environments before and it is perfectly fine if you are all set up to work that way. 

Where it tends to fall down is when most people are in the office and one or two people work remotely. Calls become about the people in the room and those on the phone rarely get a look in. 

I hope to have to do a lot less commuting after this 

Archived