Love in the Time of Coronavirus (#3)

Mlle. Zabzie

One of the guys I play rugby with has been advised to self isolate so everyone who's been to training this week has been told not to play this weekend. Bah.

If I end up having to quarantine myself the complete lack of sport to watch and sport related article and podcasts to consume as a way to fill my time is going to be annoying.

8 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Going to see a lot of small businesses die.

Indeed. My mom runs and co-owns a small to medium sized business (75-100 workers), and this could be a disaster even though her industry always has demand (dentistry).

Not really a gallows joke, but my mom is actually loving this. She’s on a three week Caribbean trip jumping islands, and every resort she’s been to has been empty because normally people come from cruises. She’s currently on a small island in Turks and Caicos and says her and my step-dad might be the only tourists on the island.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

If I end up having to quarantine myself the complete lack of sport to watch and sport related article and podcasts to consume as a way to fill my time is going to be annoying.

I’ve got about a dozen books I want to read sitting in my home office. So yay?!?!?

Also, let’s take bets. Who holds out longer, MMA or WrestleMania? They’re the last two refusing to shut down. Hilarious how the EPL said matches would go on and then did an immediate about face.

Well, Dana White spoke to both Trump and Pence and he says he was told UFC events would be aight. <_<

The categories for the Darwin Awards this year are going to be packed with talent.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve got about a dozen books I want to read sitting in my home office. So yay?!?!?

Also, let’s take bets. Who holds out longer, MMA or WrestleMania? They’re the last two refusing to shut down. Hilarious how the EPL said matches would go on and then did an immediate about face.

maybe they could include dirty tissues and discarded face masks during a hardcore match.  

13 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

System gets overwhelmed. Patients cannot get required treatment. Death ensues.

This, basically. Around 5-15% of those infected will enter "critical condition" (exact percentage depending on age and health conditions, also depending on what you define as "critical"). If proper medical care is available, large majority of them will be saved, and "only" 0.5%-1% will die (mostly people who were already near death for other reasons).

If proper medical care is not available, either due to lack of beds, or specialized equipment, or skilled medical personnel, or simply because of late reaction, then most of the critical cases will die.

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, that was just a side bar to the question of Italian fatality rate.

The Italian death rate is basically where it could have ended up in Hubei if Hubei had a population as old as Italy. China's population is people 65 or older is just short of 12%; in Italy, it's 22%. Part of the reason Hubei had massive problems compared to the rest of China was that it didn't have as high quality health care facilities, perhaps, but mostly it's that it went around for weeks unchecked. Italy basically failed wildly at containing and then mitigating, whereas in Wuhan and the wider Hubei they too initially failed containment and mitigation... and then shut down an entire province and locked it up tight to contain it.

That's my take, anyways.

That sounds like a pretty good analysis.  I knew Italy's population skewed older than most, I didn't realize that much older.  I also had read that their mortality rate for the flu was higher than most countries as well for the same reason.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fake sports.

13 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Well, Dana White spoke to both Trump and Pence and he says he was told UFC events would be aight. <_<

The categories for the Darwin Awards this year are going to be packed with talent.

Unfortunately, the people attending those events probably skew fairly young, so they won't be the ones dying from the disease, they'll just be the ones passing it along to older more susceptible people.  So Darwin probably fails in this scenario.

Just now, Frey family reunion said:

Unfortunately, the people attending those events probably skew fairly young, so they won't be the ones dying from the disease, they'll just be the ones passing it along to older more susceptible people.  So Darwin probably fails in this scenario.

I was referring to White, Trump and Pence. 

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Indeed. My mom runs and co-owns a small to medium sized business (75-100 workers), and this could be a disaster even though her industry always has demand (dentistry).

Not really a gallows joke, but my mom is actually loving this. She’s on a three week Caribbean trip jumping islands, and every resort she’s been to has been empty because normally people come from cruises. She’s currently on a small island in Turks and Caicos and says her and my step-dad might be the only tourists on the island.

I run my own gym and if we have to close for any significant length of time I'll be fucked.

The Miami mayor tested positive (after meeting with a Brazilian official, not sure if same that met with Trump). Meanwhile, there are multiple sources reporting  Trump will declare a nation emergency at 3 pm. In the meanmeanwhile, White House staff held an emergency meeting to discuss the Brazilian official testing positive.

Who thought it was a good idea to go on a trip now, and who thinks Trump secretly has tested himself out?

Archived