Moral Standpoint Analysis (pt.1): House Bolton vs House Manderly

Eternally_Theirs

3 hours ago, Lion of the West said:

There are always degrees.

Many fans wants to drown the realm in blood and keep the war going until every percieved, imagined and real slight, injustice or immorality has been settled in an ocean for blood, for each one. Hopefully there will be a Seasnake to this story and put a stop to the bloodshed rather than escalate it.

People are Bloodraven or Cregan like, if you let enemies on your back, they will just raise later, since that's exactly what's happening and  the blood has been spilled in buckets... Better clean the house then so you don't have to do it again 20 decades after. Showing mercy or letting your enemies alive seems always destined to bite you in the ass while doing a great cleanse a la Tywin allows you to sleep good... If you can do it after such massacre.

16 hours ago, frenin said:

People are Bloodraven or Cregan like, if you let enemies on your back, they will just raise later, since that's exactly what's happening and  the blood has been spilled in buckets... Better clean the house then so you don't have to do it again 20 decades after. Showing mercy or letting your enemies alive seems always destined to bite you in the ass while doing a great cleanse a la Tywin allows you to sleep good... If you can do it after such massacre.

And pray tell me, when is the House "cleaned"? I'm more in the camp of serving the enemy steel and fire while they defy you and help on their feet after they have kneeled.

But its always funny to see people argue about how horrible the Lannisters are when Tywin's worst actions are what his "critics" model themselves after. Despicable people if you ask me.

And mind you, Bloodraven was not nearly as much for "cleaning the house" as you make him out to be. And Cregan was simply told to go home, which he did.

3 hours ago, Lion of the West said:

And pray tell me, when is the House "cleaned"? I'm more in the camp of serving the enemy steel and fire while they defy you and help on their feet after they have kneeled

Me too. 

But its always funny to see people argue about how horrible the Lannisters are when Tywin's worst actions are what his "critics" model themselves after. Despicable people if you ask me.

The Lannisters?? Or just Tywin?? I doubt that anyone can deny that Cersei and Tywin are legit monsters but besides that... Anyway word.

And mind you, Bloodraven was not nearly as much for "cleaning the house" as you make him out to be. And Cregan was simply told to go home, which he did.

Just repeating his words. Cregan was not told to go home, he was told to become a regent, he simply was not interested in the South.

2 hours ago, frenin said:

The Lannisters?? Or just Tywin?? I doubt that anyone can deny that Cersei and Tywin are legit monsters but besides that... Anyway word.

They seems to be thrown together all the time so I wouldn't even know for myself what people mean.

2 hours ago, frenin said:

Just repeating his words. Cregan was not told to go home, he was told to become a regent, he simply was not interested in the South.

For someone with no interest in the South its curious he goes to war in the South, wants a Southron princess and so on. I think he was very interested in the South.

37 minutes ago, Lion of the West said:

They seems to be thrown together all the time so I wouldn't even know for myself what people mean.

Well, i personally have zero beef with the Lannisters, Cersei and Tywin are the only ones i can call monsters. They are a rather big family and we know that the chain of command was only Kevan and Tywin, so i find hard to blame an entire family for just one's decision.  But perhaps is because Tywin is perceived as House Lannister at whole?? I don't know, he is a bigger than life guy so...

40 minutes ago, Lion of the West said:

For someone with no interest in the South its curious he goes to war in the South, wants a Southron princess and so on. I think he was very interested in the South.

He was interested until Jace died it seems, he wanted to war because ecould get rid of useless mouths, but he only was Hand for a day and willingly renounced the office, he was offered te position of Hand, which in hindsight he should've accepted, and he refused saying that his place was in the north. 

Cregan Stark served in that office for a single day, presiding over the trials and executions. Most of the accused took the black (led by the cunning Ser Perkin the Flea). Two alone chose death—Ser Gyles Belgrave of the Kingsguard, who did not wish to outlive his king, and Larys the Clubfoot, the last of the ancient line of House Strong. [...] The day after the executions, Lord Stark resigned as Hand. No man ever held the office so briefly, and few left it as gladly. He returned to the North, leaving many of his fierce Northmen behind in the south.

Cregan Stark’s brief service as the Hand of the Uncrowned King ended the next day, when he returned his chain of office to Prince Aegon. He might easily have remained King’s Hand for years, or even claimed the regency until young Aegon came of age, but the south held no interest for him. “The snows are falling in the North,” he announced, “and my place is at Winterfell.”

(It is reliably reported that Lord Cregan Stark was also offered a place amongst the regents, but refused.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, James Steller said:

Honestly, I think the northern families would be more okay with it than we realize. It’s strongly hinted that to survive in the North, you had to possibly survive via cannibalism. Look what happens to Stannis’ army, look how quickly the North turns them wild and desperate. We’re told many times that the Northmen are more savage than those people south of the Neck. The First Men practiced blood sacrifice, decorating trees with entrails, making a line of heads on the coast as a warning. The Starks are wolves, and I believe we’ll see them embrace the savage wolf nature of House Stark to survive against the Others. It’s going to be a renouncement of Southron civilization to embrace the old ways. So in a way, Wyman Manderly doing this makes me feel like this is the descendant of Andal fugitives embracing the fact that he is of the North, and what better way to do that than eat the meat of his enemies in triumphant vengeance for the North? Why not invite the other wolves to the feast? It’s weird, but I’m hoping for this interpretation rather than Manderly proving just as villainous as Roose Bolton. That sort of thing. I’d rather have the savage than the sociopath.

Agreed. He invited the other loyal Northern houses to sup on vengeance with him. They would def. be ok with it. They all lost men at the red wedding and the North remembers.

Archived