Jump to content
Alexis-something-Rose

This has been nagging me: Bloodraven, the Stark, Southron Ambitions & the PtwP

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Honestly if Coldhands = "Zombie Benjen" ... and if I was asked if Coldhands = "Benjen" ... I would say No too. 

I like how GRRM didn't answer the second question.

 Trust me, Coldhands = Zombie Benjen because I know the origin of the name "Benjen". Let's just say Coldhands will be playing around with some keys in the future.

Except that it was an exchange w/ his editor, who was editing the book, and not a fan asking a question at a con or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

The more I think about it, I like your fan-fic theory and how Bloodraven flirted with a Northern rebellion to overthrow the Targaryen dynasty using marriages. Though using multiple generations to conspire against the crown makes it less plausible ... BUT I do believe Bloodraven is using multiple generations of his own blood to rebel against the Targaryens too (the Dark Sister Rebellion).

Fanfic theory? Coming from you? Really?

And nowhere in what I wrote talked about a rebellion against the Targaryen. This has nothing to do with Bloodraven organizing some sort of rebellion against the Targaryens. 

Edited by Alexis-something-Rose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brandon Ice-Eyes said:

Do we know for a certainty that The Others were already migrating south during Rickards Reign - I agree with your theory and I believe they probably were but is it said in the text?

That the Others were already migrating south? No, there's nothing specific to that in the text. The only thing I can point to is maybe Raymund Redbeard's attempt at invading the north in 226 AC and the Battle at Long Lake where Edwyle's father was killed. This was 7 years before Bloodraven was exiled to the Wall.

I think there could be something to the wildlings coming under a king at various points in time and trying to force the Wall, but it's really all speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

That the Others were already migrating south? No, there's nothing specific to that in the text. The only thing I can point to is maybe Raymund Redbeard's attempt at invading the north in 226 AC and the Battle at Long Lake where Edwyle's father was killed. This was 7 years before Bloodraven was exiled to the Wall.

I think there could be something to the wildlings coming under a king at various points in time and trying to force the Wall, but it's really all speculation.

Yeah good point, i'd imagine they probably were migrating south to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Brandon Ice-Eyes said:

Yeah good point, i'd imagine they probably were migrating south to be honest.

It's a strong possibility, but it's also an assumption since we know next to nothing about the wildling kings of old and their motivation.

The reason I think there could be more to it is because of what we have currently in the story with Mance. The wildlings came together under essentially one "banner" to be led south of the Wall for protection and I don't think that the idea that this also happened under Raymund Redbeard, Bael the Bard, all the way down to Joramun who was in possession of a horn that could allegedly bring the Wall down. 

Every few hundred years (or thousands maybe?), the wildlings get themselves a king and they try to come south of the Wall. 

Edited by Alexis-something-Rose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Except that it was an exchange w/ his editor, who was editing the book, and not a fan asking a question at a con or something.

Unless GRRM told the editor the ending of ASOIAF, GRRM has to keep up with every deception inside the series.
If GRRM told the Editor, "Yes this is Benjen" ... the editor will start to think why is Benjen hiding his identity from Bran? The editor will add things and up and realize Bran is falling into a trap.

This No answer is to foreshadow Coldhand's future ratty deceptions too, including baiting Jon Snow to leaving his post, and tricking Jon Snow to opening the Black Gate at the Nightfort, where all the zombie horde enter Westeros like rats ascending from a pit in the kitchen floor.

You guys think the Wall will physically collapse? Horn of JOramuN? My butt! Some fan fiction are clever, and some sucks ass (D&D)!

6 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Fanfic theory? Coming from you? Really?

By definition, what you proposed in the OP is fan fiction. We know nothing of Edwyle Stark, and you filled in a lot of empty blanks.

And what's wrong with fan fiction anyways? As long as it is good fan fiction that fills in empty blanks, being plausible, has scenarios that conflicts with the heart, and has great character & story arcs. The best fan-fic theories are supported with evidence.

And besides, GRRM began his love for writing by doing a fan fiction of Edgar Allen Poe's The Pit and Pendulum ... a short story that was lamed by a deux ex machina, where a man who was about to die beside a pit, but was saved out of nowhere. For a classroom assignment, GRRM re-wrote Poe's story where the man does die, and rats came up from the pit and ate his body. The teacher was so impressed with GRRM's fan fic, he made GRRM stand up in the classroom and read it aloud. The classroom cheered, and this was where GRRM decided to become a writer ... through fan fiction. 

Quote

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/george-r-r-martin-outtakes-from-the-rolling-stone-interview-233720/

A formative writing experience for me was in a high school English course. The teacher assigned us to write a new ending for Edgar Allan Poe’s The Pit and the Pendulum. Poe’s ending is actually crap: The guy is trapped, the pendulum is going lower and lower, it’s about to slice him in half, then suddenly there’s a trumpet blast and the Inquisition was in the hands of its enemies; the good guys have arrived and they save him. I wrote the horror ending; nobody comes to save the character, the pendulum cuts him in half. I described the blood and the excruciating pain; rats come out and are eating him and nibbling at his eyes, and wriggling into his chest. Another teacher might have been horrified and sent me to school psychologist, but fortunately, this particular teacher liked what I’d written, and had me read it in front of a class. It was like I was the class hero for a day. It was an all-boys school, and the boys loved the rats and the eating of the entrails, the blood and the guts. For a day I felt like the quarterback who had just won the big game here. Everybody loved my horrible-ending story. [Laughs] It was in high school when I started deciding that I would try to be a writer.”
GRRM

 

6 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Coming from you? Really?

What is that suppose to mean???

6 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

And nowhere in what I wrote talked about a rebellion against the Targaryen. This has nothing to do with Bloodraven organizing some sort of rebellion against the Targaryens. 

The title of your OP says Southron Ambitions ... isn't that a rebellion against the Targaryens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

Unless GRRM told the editor the ending of ASOIAF, GRRM has to keep up with every deception inside the series.
If GRRM told the Editor, "Yes this is Benjen" ... the editor will start to think why is Benjen hiding his identity from Bran? The editor will add things and up and realize Bran is falling into a trap.

This No answer is to foreshadow Coldhand's future ratty deceptions too, including baiting Jon Snow to leaving his post, and tricking Jon Snow to opening the Black Gate at the Nightfort, where all the zombie horde enter Westeros like rats ascending from a pit in the kitchen floor.

Honestly I’d take that no as proof it isnt Benjen. Whilst you make a good point that he might be trying to keep up the deception, I doubt he’d lie to his editor of all people, it’s not as if he’s trying deceive a fan as to not spoil the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brandon Ice-Eyes said:

I doubt he’d lie to his editor of all people

Well technically its not a lie.
Benjen is not Zombie Benjen.
Some of Catelyn may have be in Lady Stoneheart, but that is not the case for ice zombies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...