Jump to content
Fragile Bird

The Gallows Humor Thread

Recommended Posts

Thanks for staring this thread, Birdie.

Now I can finally share that the title of the other thread - "Love in the time of the coronavirus" - keeps reminding me of the fact that I just turned down a guy who wanted to keep dating me. I was not interested anyway, but if I were ... where is the fun in dating if you are not allowed to make out with the person? Now I am wondering what I would do if I were actually interested in somebody right now and things were going well ... how to develop a relationship with somebody if you are not allowed within 1,5 meters from them? Where would be the fun in that?
 

/not a joke, just weird musings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Thanks for staring this thread, Birdie.

Now I can finally share that the title of the other thread - "Love in the time of the coronavirus" - keeps reminding me of the fact that I just turned down a guy who wanted to keep dating me. I was not interested anyway, but if I were ... where is the fun in dating if you are not allowed to make out with the person? Now I am wondering what I would do if I were actually interested in somebody right now and things were going well ... how to develop a relationship with somebody if you are not allowed within 1,5 meters from them? Where would be the fun in that?
 

/not a joke, just weird musings

I believe the documentary "Demolition Man" covers this subject quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMa1Q-45ow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, argonak said:

I believe the documentary "Demolition Man" covers this subject quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMa1Q-45ow

Damn, that doesn't seem like as much fun. :P 

19 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

My first thought, too. :laugh:

In the light of the current public health situation, I keep misreading your username.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a firm believer in gallows humor. Sometimes you gotta laugh to keep from crying. I recall an anecdote from a book I read about John Wayne Gacy. The police officers were in the process of digging up the 30+ victims from his crawl space and their commander explained to the author that his men had to do this to keep from going crazy.

One example: 

"Hey did you hear they are having dance down at the county lockup?"

"Yeah, I hope Gacy can dig up a date!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't really a joke so much as a brief skit that I wrote just now.  Setting: Mark and Jane are making a youtube video on preparing for coronavirus.

Mark:  It is very important that you wash your hands with soap thoroughly, at least 20 seconds.

Jane:  If you run out of soap, you can use alcohol as a disinfectant!

Mark:  You can, but only with certain kinds of very strong liquor.

Jane:  You should go get a handle of 151 right now!

Mark:  If you're going to the store, you should just get soap.

Jane:  NO, just get it from your pantry.  Can't rely on anyone else!

Mark:  I think there's still plenty of hand soap at the grocery store.

Jane:  You'll need to something to mix the ingredients together.  (reaches into pocket)

Mark:  Where did you get a hand grenade?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I keep seeing in my head right now is the head stranger from Dark City saying "SHUT IT DOWN".

Also, Demolition Man! Good call, think I'll pop the blu ray in later tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Damn, that doesn't seem like as much fun. :P 

In the light of the current public health situation, I keep misreading your username.

I thought that was just me :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

All I keep seeing in my head right now is the head stranger from Dark City saying "SHUT IT DOWN".

Also, Demolition Man! Good call, think I'll pop the blu ray in later tonight.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh good grief, I saw that on Facebook but it was so small on my phone I didn't realize it was from Chernobyl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heart this thread just because Demolition Man is prominently mentioned.  "Kids, smoking, a desire to raid the fridge."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to hit the acceleration button on that Mars colonization program.

I wish for a small asteroid to hit us and for it to carry some alien virus that kills the coronavirus. (and gives us all superpowers)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the UK's non-responce yesterday, we've selflessly volunteered to be the control group for future epidemiologists.

 

 

 

I just hate the term "Self Isolating" it's boring, safe, bowing down to authority; so I'm looking for some alternatives.

The best I can come up with are "Exiled for the good of the realm" - sexy, exciting, mysterious
Or "Going to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all this to blow over"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...