US Politics: Time to Stock Up

Tywin Manderly

I now actually believe the Republicans are going to get crushed in the elections in the fall. Having Moscow Mitch announce that the proposed stimulus bill is an ideological wish list that Republicans are going to refuse to support is going to look very very bad on them in the next few weeks and months.

Just effing ignore the rethugrumphuggers and put together our own 'shadow government' and begin dealing with the catastrophe.  Putting together a cabinet and experts and have them give leadership to any of the people left in their old agencies that they know, and so.  Certainly start the planning now.  And drown all the televison, youtube etc. in commercial and ad and address, both electoral and public interest with what the Dems are planning and already doing the moment they kick rumpandhishuggers out of D.C.  And, please, Bernie, cooperate with this, and cooperate now, prior to the nomination process.*

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/us/politics/joe-biden-coronavirus.html?

In his remarks, Mr. Biden offered his own plan for combating the virus, with proposals that included rapidly and vastly expanding testing — tests, he said, should be available at no charge — moving aggressively to boost hospital capacity, and supporting an accelerated push for a vaccine, “again, free of charge.” He argued that “the administration’s failure on testing is colossal. And it’s a failure of planning, leadership and execution.”

*  Biden is far from my choice -- my choice is still Warren, but if it's Biden there we go, and there is plenty of work for Warren to do because she'll do it better than anybody else.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

There's some really good Democrats in Congress beyond the ones that make the news regularly..

Yes indeed, and here's hoping they all are invited to be part of this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/us/politics/joe-biden-coronavirus.html?

...On Wednesday, his team announced the formation of a “Public Health Advisory Committee” studded with prominent health leaders and alumni of former President Barack Obama’s administration — a rollout that seemed intended to conjure the actions a president might take.

@OldGimletEye  

I pretty sure that fucking mess that turned out to be Libya was sold as being "humanitarian".

What?  You don't think Gaddafi's end was humanitarian?  Such a bleeding heart. 

@Mlle. Zabzie  

I'm old fashioned and Klassy, don't have the twitter, and also gave up social media for Lent.

Based on your avatar and your posts, I've always thought you were indeed both old fashioned and classy - not "klassy."  No to the twitter or anything else, it's all just so much pointless noise.

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I now actually believe the Republicans are going to get crushed in the elections in the fall. Having Moscow Mitch announce that the proposed stimulus bill is an ideological wish list that Republicans are going to refuse to support is going to look very very bad on them in the next few weeks and months.

The high and mighty brought down by (their failure to address the crisis caused by) microscopically tiny beings. The irony. . .

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

@OldGimletEye  

What?  You don't think Gaddafi's end was humanitarian?  Such a bleeding heart. 

"We keep kicking out dictators and then we don’t get anything better, and we mess up a lot of people’s lives in the process — spend fortunes and have Americans killed and maimed. What do we have to show for it?”

-Charles Koch

I never thought I'd ever agree with anything Charles Koch said within a million years. Turns out, I was wrong.

Not that this is surprising, but it is at this point entirely clear that Trump did not want further testing because he was afraid the numbers would hurt his re-election chances. And that is why the US is several orders of magnitude behind.

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

@Mlle. Zabzie  

Based on your avatar and your posts, I've always thought you were indeed both old fashioned and classy - not "klassy."  No to the twitter or anything else, it's all just so much pointless noise.

I'm just plain old and trashy. And I can't bring myself to do the tweeter either.

22 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I never thought I'd ever agree with anything Charles Koch said within a million years. Turns out, I was wrong.

Well, to be honest, that's why I liked Obama's approach at the time.  Launching a bunch of ICBMs at Tripoli etc. is a logical strategy to limit the cost of American lives, at least.  As well as probably Libyan lives as well, although that's less certain.  It's a good example of even when we have good intentions at intervening, which I do believe Obama and his administration did even if people want to laugh at me about it, we still fuck things up.  I don't know what the answer is.  "Doing nothing" when you have something like the Arab Spring at the time seems to be a pretty shitty option as well.  International relations is hard.  That's why I'm an Americanist.

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Not that this is surprising, but it is at this point entirely clear that Trump did not want further testing because he was afraid the numbers would hurt his re-election chances. And that is why the US is several orders of magnitude behind.

I was just wondering how the US derailed so hard. I was thinking along the lines that Trump himself was convinced it wasn’t bad in the US, and now that he has surrounded himself with yes-men, all he had around him was an echo chamber.

Not that he would have listened to Qatar I Gs anyway, right? 

Ya! those Dem women!

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/porter-presses-cdc-director-to-confirm-coronavirus-testing-will-be-free-80569413792

Katie Porter (a Warren student, btw) WOOOO!  -- she forced t's uttlerly incompetent CDC head to concede on the record and video that -- when!!!!!! -- tests become available every American can have one at no cost.  And that was hard work.  He was determined to just not say ANYTHING.  Now he's probably being reamed, again, by t himself and all the others.

In the meantime, in Senegal, one of those 'shit hole countries,' it takes about 4 hours to the test and results.  That's how damned good the US is, with not even doing tests because, ya, no test kits.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, to be honest, that's why I liked Obama's approach at the time.  Launching a bunch of ICBMs at Tripoli etc. is a logical strategy to limit the cost of American lives, at least.  As well as probably Libyan lives as well, although that's less certain.  It's a good example of even when we have good intentions at intervening, which I do believe Obama and his administration did even if people want to laugh at me about it, we still fuck things up.  I don't know what the answer is.  "Doing nothing" when you have something like the Arab Spring at the time seems to be a pretty shitty option as well.  International relations is hard.  That's why I'm an Americanist.

Yeah, well the only real solution is an international police / peace force operating independently of any one nation and the strict prohibition of individual nations taking unilateral action outside of its own borders. But almost no one is willing to go there.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

The correct response would have been to support Gaddafi and keep him in power and quell the uprising. Better to have a stable dictator than the failed state that Libya is now where you literally have slavery running rampant and there’s certainly of basic necessities. Gaddafi wasn’t great, but he’s much better than what resulted. The same logic should’ve been applied to Syria.  

4 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

The correct response would have been to support Gaddafi

The correct response would be simply staying out of Libyan affairs and let the people of Libya decide their fate. That means neither supporting Gaddafi or trying to remove him.

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

The correct response would be simply stay out of Libyan affairs and let the people of Libya decide their fate. That means neither supporting Qaddafi or trying to remove him.

We did that in Syria and it led to the rise of ISIS, an increase in Russian influence in the Middle East and the continuing refugee crisis we see affecting Europe which has in turn fueled the right of the far right. 

Archived