US Politics: Time to Stock Up

Tywin Manderly

I'm watching David Axelrod's analysis on CNN, and it's basically what I said before the debate. Biden needed to take his lumps to show that he's making overtures to them, but he botched it. Don't get me wrong; Biden will still win, but he already won. Bernie set him up to be able to say that he was wrong for certain stances, but Biden was just aggressively defending his record no matter what. There is not a single Sanders supporter who doesn't already know what Biden did and didn't support. They needed to see him acknowledge that centrist policies have been bad for a lot of people, and that he'd take that into account going forward. I didn't see even a trace of that. 

I'm voting for Biden no matter what, but nothing about this will heal the divide between moderates and progressives.

37 minutes ago, Zorral said:

REALLY bad look for those old white Dem guys.  Dump 'em and give it to the women -- Warren.

What if he picks Hillary? I mean, I know lately a bunch of us have been worried the election is over because Biden took the lead, but I want to get nihilistic and predict how much worse he could make his chances in November. 

13 hours ago, sologdin said:

obvious differences between men and women biologically

these sort of statements beg the question.

plus, it's sport, one of the most trifling things ever; if this is the locus where irreducible difference arises, then the opposition is founded on extremely weak arguments.

The idea that sport is trifling is ridiculous.  If you look at the participation, the coverage, the money, on almost any metric it is a huge part of society.  It is also an event where there is particular focus on the notion of fairness.  To the degree that athletes are limited in what they can consume and take into their body.  In some events you also have elements or outright handicapping.  It is little wonder that this is an area where a question of fairness is going to get far more focus than other areas.  

It is also an arena that runs the gamut from high levels of equality (woman's pay at the tennis grand slams) through to complete misogyny (lingerie gridiron).  So you're again going to get the gamut of society weighing into the issue.  

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

So for the economic folks - @Mlle. Zabzie and @Fragile Bird - when should i consider refinancing? Are things going to go any lower than they are now, or can I start the conversation?

Math question really.  half point is probably significant over a 2 decade time frame, but depends on closing costs, loan to value, how long you plan on staying there, etc.

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

My mortgage guy said he has more applications for refinancing this month than all of last year. Next month is looking just as bad (good?) for him. I close on Tuesday and won’t be able to refi until October. Hopefully rates stay low....

Again with the math...if you haven't closed yet, I'm guessing you had some sort of rate lock and the penalty is bigger than the potential savings.  Not legal advice, but if you don't actually need to close this week, you might have leverage.

10 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Ya'll could have had Warren, now you're stuck with these two.

(Side note, did some posts get deleted? Mines gone but I didn't get a notice or anything, hope I didn't piss off the osteopaths...)

That happens sometimes when there is a big nasty fight and a mod just wipes the whole thing, but if there was one recently in here I missed it.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

ETA:  Aubrey Huff has thoughts on coronavirus.  Without peaking, anyone care to guess ballpark what they are?  Might be fun.  

Let’s see, I’m gonna go with something about it being a foreign plot. Maybe he’s also somehow blaming feminists. 

ETA:

Well I was half right

Pretty sure Biden's performance in the debate shows that the idea that he'll lose a single one to Trump is a fantasy. He'll beat him like a drum, just as Clinton did, for whatever that's worth.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’m sorry?

Biden has pretty much all the rhetorical weaknesses in debates that Clinton had. She beat the shit out of Trump in every debate, because he's a terrible debater who can't speak in long sentences or give answers with any meaning. Biden will beat the shit out of Trump as well. But Clinton lost the election despite beating the shit out of Trump in debates, so maybe it won't matter that Biden will beat the shit out of Trump as well.

Is that clear enough?

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Pretty sure Biden's performance in the debate shows that the idea that he'll lose a single one to Trump is a fantasy. He'll beat him like a drum, just as Clinton did, for whatever that's worth.

My impression of Biden's debate against Paul "Numbers Guy" Ryan is that Biden did well. And Ryan is probably smarter than Trump or at least can bullshit his way into looking that way. Of course, saying Ryan is smarter than Trump isn't saying much, but still.

A new reason test centers have not opened yet - there is a shortage of swabs. Peter Navarro is on CNBC right now saying the military was contacted, so a plane could be sent to Europe and pick up a million swabs.

That took 48 hours just to arrange. The plane is supposed to get back at 2:00 am Tuesday morning. Fed Ex will then distribute them.

Navarro is also saying more help for workers and companies is on the way.

Archived