Could Sansa end up marrying Edric Storm?

Nagini's Neville

First of all I was wondering, if Robert might have named his son Edric to- in a way- honor his friend Eddard? Even though maybe giving a bastard son a similar name would not be considered an honor. But maybe he did it subconsciously.

I was just thinking about how Edric Dayne also gets called "Ned", so Edric Storm would also be a Ned. If we lose Rickon (or maybe he is just too feral for the job now ^_^) and Sansa will become the Lady of WF, if she marries Edric and he doesn't get legitimized, he would be the next "Ned Stark". And of course Robert's We'll join houses, I have a son, you have a daughter prediction will come true.

Any thoughts? 

Poor Sansa. No wonder she now gets a panic attack just at hearing the word marriage. Girl deserves a break already from all this marriage crap. Here is a new idea, Sansa's marriage to Tyrion annulled and her not married to anyone by the end of the story. Now that would be great.

1 minute ago, Mystical said:

Poor Sansa. No wonder she now gets a panic attack just at hearing the word marriage. Girl deserves a break already from all this marriage crap. Here is a new idea, Sansa's marriage to Tyrion annulled and her not married to anyone by the end of the story. Now that would be great.

Sure, I just suddenly had the Ned Stark association - that's all. I actually think, if not something additionally extremely horrible happens to her, when she is in a safe place, with agency.. she would want to marry eventually. And I don't think she can just never marry, when she ends up the Lady of WF. If she doesn't that's different story of course.

And I think what gives her "panic attacks" is someone forcing her/ choosing for her, but when she comes from a place of agency - that's a different story.

2 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Sure, I just suddenly had the Ned Stark association - that's all. I actually think, if not something additionally extremely horrible happens to her, when she is in a safe place, with agency.. she would want to marry eventually. And I don't think she can just never marry, when she ends up the Lady of WF. If she doesn't that's different story of course.

And I think what gives her "panic attacks" is someone forcing her/ choosing for her, but when she comes from a place of agency - that's a different story.

Well sure. But I don't care about that part of the story. Sansa has basically been betrothed/married since the beginning of the story. How about something new? I don't need her to be married when the books end, there are are far more important things for her journey. That's something I would prefer for a 'imagine yourself what comes after the books' scenario. But that's just me...

9 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Well sure. But I don't care about that part of the story. Sansa has basically been betrothed/married since the beginning of the story. How about something new? I don't need her to be married when the books end, there are are far more important things for her journey. That's something I would prefer for a 'imagine yourself what comes after the books' scenario. But that's just me...

I get it. It was mainly the "Ned Stark" thing, that caught my attention and it's just very unlikely, that Arya will marry Edric.

I think "who Sansa will end up marrying" is discussed so often, because it is a major theme in her story arc throughout the books and needs to be resolved by the end. And IMO it will happen by her having agency to take ownership over the whole marriage situation.

But I understand, if it's a topic, that annoys you.

1 hour ago, Mystical said:

Sansa has basically been betrothed/married since the beginning of the story. How about something new? I don't need her to be married when the books end, there are are far more important things for her journey.

Yes! Let her deal with a zombie Apocalypse and that would make it more interesting. All the foreshadowing for the Bloody Gates of the Vale is bound to payoff with a White Walker attack.

53 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

it's just very unlikely, that Arya will marry Edric [Storm]

I'm on the boat where Arya Stark marries Edric Dayne in the end ... since House Dayne has Queen Nymeria's blood in their veins.

Stark and Baratheon will never happened as it failed with Lyanna and Robert, Sansa and Joffery (f)Baratheon.
But Stark and Dayne ... well I believe in the tragic stories of Brandon and Ashara (the secret dungeon sex theory).
I think it would be poetic if Arya and Edric make it out alive, gets the happily ever after story, and have a son named Eddard Dayne (Ned Jr.)

I am not sure about Edric, but if there's something I am certain of is that Sansa will marry someone. I already shared my thoughts on who that will be with you so I won't say it on here so that I will be spared from a potential argument. I want a peaceful weekend thank you very much. Instead I will focus on how romance in Sansa's arc is pretty crucial and without it would be quite bleak and depressing. 

I understand why some people are annoyed by the thought of Sansa falling in love and marrying. It feels like it's telling the same storyline over and over again, but you guys are forgetting one major thing: Sansa Stark herself wants to experience love, and marry and have children. She wants to live her life like how her parents did. My question is, why should this be diminished? I mean think about it this way. Sansa's romantic storyline is not that different from her political one. In fact we should look at it exactly the same way.

Sansa's political arc is about not letting outside forces change her morals and ideals. It's about preserving Ned's (and Catelyn's) legacy. It's about breaking the cycle of abuse. If we can admire Sansa for staying kind and compassionate despite the horrific abuse she endured (and for those who missed the point of her arc this IS what GRRM is encouraging the readers to do) we should do the same when it comes to her romantic storyline. How about we start admiring Sansa for never stopping to believe she can experience true love despite the sexual trauma she endured. 

10 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

First of all I was wondering, if Robert might have named his son Edric to- in a way- honor his friend Eddard? Even though maybe giving a bastard son a similar name would not be considered an honor. But maybe he did it subconsciously.

I was just thinking about how Edric Dayne also gets called "Ned", so Edric Storm would also be a Ned. If we lose Rickon (or maybe he is just too feral for the job now ^_^) and Sansa will become the Lady of WF, if she marries Edric and he doesn't get legitimized, he would be the next "Ned Stark". And of course Robert's We'll join houses, I have a son, you have a daughter prediction will come true.

Any thoughts? 

No, this is just people who write fan-fictions and are desperate to see a Stark and a Baratheon marry but it will never happen as both houses are going extinct.

22 minutes ago, Brandon Ice-Eyes said:

No, this is just people who write fan-fictions and are desperate to see a Stark and a Baratheon marry but it will never happen as both houses are going extinct.

I assure you I don't write fanfiction and actually couldn't care less about a Stark and a Baratheon ending up together. And if I'm being honest, it would be much more satisfying and more impactful, if it was about Arya's and Gendry's friendship and also much more in the style of GRRM IMO. 

I acknowledged, that this theory doesn't have a lot of substance to it and no real foreshadowing. It was just the name that caught my attention and solving the problem of keeping the Stark name alive. But apparently in your opinion the Starks will go extinct, anyway.

I can understand that, when it comes to the Starks (even though I don't think, that will happen, would be too nihilistic), but why the Baratheons? We have Gendry and Edric of a reason.

57 minutes ago, Brandon Ice-Eyes said:

Meh Robert's bastards are unkillable and i really doubt, all Ned's kids, whether they conquest again the North or not is another matter, are going to be killed.

I do think that the relationship between the Starks and Baratheons is fullfilled between the friendship between their kids.

2 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

I am not sure about Edric, but if there's something I am certain of is that Sansa will marry someone. I already shared my thoughts on who that will be with you so I won't say it on here so that I will be spared from a potential argument. I want a peaceful weekend thank you very much. Instead I will focus on how romance in Sansa's arc is pretty crucial and without it would be quite bleak and depressing. 

couldn't agree more!! And with your prediction the Stark line won't go extinct either! :) 

2 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

I understand why some people are annoyed by the thought of Sansa falling in love and marrying. It feels like it's telling the same storyline over and over again, but you guys are forgetting one major thing: Sansa Stark herself wants to experience love, and marry and have children. She wants to live her life like how her parents did. My question is, why should this be diminished? I mean think about it this way. Sansa's romantic storyline is not that different from her political one. In fact we should look at it exactly the same way.

100% agreed

First of all it's a major part of Sansa's character, that shouldn't be looked down upon or belittled. (and tbh it's a very a natural, universal part of human experience; most ppl long for romantic love in their lives and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that) 

And IMO in this context, it wouldn't be the same story all over again, since finding love is not really something that happens in universe or that the world allows for, so it would be a real triumph, part of her gaining agency and control over her life and only would be annoying, if this was what Sansa's storyline would be diminished to.

3 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

Sansa's political arc is about not letting outside forces change her morals and ideals. It's about preserving Ned's (and Catelyn's) legacy. It's about breaking the cycle of abuse. If we can admire Sansa for staying kind and compassionate despite the horrific abuse she endured (and for those who missed the point of her arc this IS what GRRM is encouraging the readers to do) we should do the same when it comes to her romantic storyline. How about we start admiring Sansa for never stopping to believe she can experience true love despite the sexual trauma she endured

Absolutely, couldn't have said it better. You have such a great understanding of Sansa's character, her arc and themes :bowdown:

@Nagini's Neville Absolutely. Sansa has experienced a betrothal from hell, an unrequited crush, a forced loveless marriage, but a mutual love with someone who has her best interest in his heart and wants to marry her for love instead for her claim? That is a fresh new storyline and one that is very likely to happen. 

13 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Any thoughts? 

Edric is the Lord of Starfall. If he married Sansa, she would live there, not in Winterfell. If no other Starks are available to rule in Winterfell, this alone would probably quash any talk of marrying Sansa to another lord. She would take the son of a sitting lord who would then be her consort, and most likely their children would be named Stark.

9 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

I am not sure about Edric, but if there's something I am certain of is that Sansa will marry someone.

9 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

Sansa Stark herself wants to experience love, and marry and have children.

My problem here is the same as I see with those people being on the 'Jon/Dany fall in love in the books and it will be more fleshed out than the show' train. There is no time in the books for the actual 'love' part to be convincing.

When it comes to Sansa, it would need to be a guy who she hasn't interacted with yet (at least for me). Considering all the story that GRRM has to wrap up, I don't see how any actual potential love ships can be developed and be convincing.

There is also still the problem of GRRM most likely not doing any time jumps, so Sansa will still probably be at most 14 years old when the story ends. Why does she then need to be married at the end of the story considering her age? Since that is still on the younger side.

I would rather read about Sansa growing up, becoming her own person, deal with LF and reunite with her family. And while in the safety of her family, decompress and deal with everything that happened to her, put those experiences into perspective and figure out what she wants to do and who she wants to be. And only then, when she is secure in who she is and what she is doing, would I want her to meet a guy and do the 'love, marriage, children' thing. But I don't need that to happen in the books, so long as I know that wherever Sansa ends up, she is her own person and she is free to chose whoever she wants, whenever she wants. Because that's all I need to know that it's going to happen sometime in her future...

23 minutes ago, Mystical said:

There is also still the problem of GRRM most likely not doing any time jumps, so Sansa will still probably be at most 14 years old when the story ends. Why does she then need to be married at the end of the story considering her age? Since that is still on the younger side.

IMO there most definitely will be a time jump or time will move much faster at on point in the last two books, since Bran is only 10 and apparently he'll end up being king or something like that.

Sansa is almost 14 already, so if time keeps on passing the same way as before (which I don't think it will) she'll be 14 throughout winds and 15 throughout Spring, almost 16 by the end.

23 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I would rather read about Sansa growing up, becoming her own person, deal with LF and reunite with her family. And while in the safety of her family, decompress and deal with everything that happened to her, put those experiences into perspective and figure out what she wants to do and who she wants to be. And only then, when she is secure in who she is and what she is doing, would I want her to meet a guy and do the 'love, marriage, children' thing. But I don't need that to happen in the books, so long as I know that wherever Sansa ends up, she is her own person and she is free to chose whoever she wants, whenever she wants. Because then I know it's going to happen sometime in her future...

fair enough. That definitely would be the ideal situation. maybe we get to know about it in an epilog. 

Several years ago (three, according to the post, although it might be closer to four now), I saw this post on reddit written by someone who claimed to have read some of Daenerys' TWOW chapters. I actually like what it says here, but I was obviously skeptical that anyone in George's publishing circle would have read only a few chapters and then written about them online. But seeing as one of these scenes happened almost exactly the same way in the last season of GOT (only with Jon instead of Edric), I'm wondering if this person may have been telling the truth.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/4nuake/i_have_read_some_of_danys_twow_chapters_heres_a/

Long story short, I think it's possible that we'll see Edric come face-to-face with Dany before he ever meets Sansa.

@Mystical I never said that the romantic storyline in Sansa's arc will be the main storyline, just that she will have one. In my post I did make a distinction between her political and romantic storylines. Her political and personal arc will always be at the forefront. I agree with everything you said except I do believe there's time for a romance for Sansa. Especially if you knew who is most likely to be her love interest. I am happy to share my theories with you, but I would prefer to do that through private messages. My take is quite controversial and I don't want people to argue with me on that. I want a peaceful weekend lol. 

Besides I don't see Sansa marrying until the very end of the series. As to her age I think she will be sixteen and I have some evidence to back that up. A couple of years ago George said say he struggled with writing TWOW & ADOS because he believed that much of what he hoped to write with his child characters would be unrealistic based on their age and that he had to let that go and jokingly said: "If a twelve-year old has to conquer the world, then so be it."

We now know that the twelve-year old George was talking about is Bran. So if he will be twelve by the end that means Arya is fourteen and Sansa is sixteen. Still pretty icky age for Sansa to marry and all imo but I can tolerate it a bit. 

Archived