COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Which Tyler

To be honest I'm still having a hard time getting my head around the true nature/extent of this crisis. 

If you just look at the fatality numbers out of China (around 3,500 last reported?) it doesn't seem warrant the worldwide response.  After all we've had 22000 flu deaths in this last flu season in the US alone.  

I understand that China is in a position to enact fairly fascist measures to help reduce the spread which the US and Europe aren't.  

1 minute ago, Ran said:

No. He was the Democratic counsel during impeachment. He thinks he picked it up in London on a trip.

Ok, I saw something this morning where they interviewed one of the ones infected on the cruise ship.  He indicated he other than a dry cough he is doing better, but still under quarantine.  He said the main treatment he got was loads of Gatorade to stay hydrated.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Still a strange lack of reports from people who’ve had this virus and it wasn’t too bad ... for my own anxiety I could really use a story of someone who was tested positive, it really was like a cold, then tested negative. There’s a bunch of accounts from people who are pretty sure they’ve had it but it’d be nice to get a clean cut case. I know by definition the milder cases are less likely to have been tested, but surely somebody had this experience? For all the talk of ‘fever and dry cough’ being the most common, the first hand reports I’ve read have been incredibly varied.

My friend who has it has been completely debilitated for about two days so far, puking up blood and mucus. The coughing is continuous and painful, and it's hard to stop the coughing long enough to eat or drink anything.

One person who contacted the BBC reported they had the same symptoms for two weeks continuously before starting to recover. That tracks with reports out of China, where some people have reported one to two weeks of severe symptoms before recovering (some with hospital intervention, some without).

There have also been reports of much milder symptoms with people apparently recovering, and then suddenly crashing into the bad symptoms. Some people have also reported only having the worst symptoms for a day or two and then recovering in relatively short order.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

My friend who has it has been completely debilitated for about two days so far, puking up blood and mucus. The coughing is continuous and painful, and it's hard to stop the coughing long enough to eat or drink anything.

One person who contacted the BBC reported they had the same symptoms for two weeks continuously before starting to recover. That tracks with reports out of China, where some people have reported one to two weeks of severe symptoms before recovering (some with hospital intervention, some without).

There have also been reports of much milder symptoms with people apparently recovering, and then suddenly crashing into the bad symptoms. Some people have also reported only having the worst symptoms for a day or two and then recovering in relatively short order.

I dont think thisbis going to help with his anxiety. 

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I haven't heard about puking up blood and mucus before.  How old is your friend and do you know if he had any other existing medical issues?

19 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

If you just look at the fatality numbers out of China (around 3,500 last reported?) it doesn't seem warrant the worldwide response.  After all we've had 22000 flu deaths in this last flu season in the US alone.  

I keep seeing people bring this sort of thing up and it's like...

Three and a half thousand deaths out of eighty thousand cases is a lot. The whole point of all the extreme measures is so that we don't end up with the same 40-odd million cases that those 22,000 flu fatalities came from because the deaths would then be closer to the millions.

'flu has probably been around for about as long as humanity has, certainly more than 2000 years (first described by Hippocrates) - it is endemic within all human populations; with huge numbers being infected, and large numbers dying.

COVID is new - 6 months ago, it simply did not exist. If you HAVE to compare it to 'flu (which you really shouldn't, just because both are viral respiratory infections) it is 2-3 times is contagious, and 10-12 times as lethal (as seasonal 'flu).

39 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

To be honest I'm still having a hard time getting my head around the true nature/extent of this crisis. 

I understand that China is in a position to enact fairly fascist measures to help reduce the spread which the US and Europe aren't.  

You have to understand that’s 22,000 deaths because about 50 M people caught the flu. If 50 M people get Covid-19 you’re looking at 1.5 million to 2.5 M deaths, in large part because there are only 900,000 hospital beds in the US and a tiny percentage are ICU beds. Plus you can add thousands of more deaths from people who had a crisis and there was no bed, no doctor, or no operating table available.

As for symptoms, when they say ‘mild’ that covers everything below ‘needed hospitalization’. It can range from ‘I didn’t even know I had it’ to ‘I was so sick in bed alone in my apartment I thought I was going to die’.

Covid-19 hits the lungs. People might end up with scarred lungs that will result in long-term health problems.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

we are in the middle of it

We haven't come close to the middle of it.

We need to be screaming in every way that Saboteur and gang of evil be taken out.  But we're locked down.  Ain't that a super-convenient for somebody kick in the head.

10 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Most people with mild symptoms will most likely never know if they had it unless they are tested for antibodies later. 

Like me, for instance.

I am home sick and self-quarantined right now. I have some sort of respiratory illness. I just took my temperature and it was 99.5 Fahrenheit. 

I have a really good chance of NOT having Covid-19, primarily because I am NOT coughing, and everything I read seems to have coughing as the most common symptom. On the other hand there are people who test positive with no symptoms at all, and the one place I remember seeing a % put with the symptoms I think coughing said "85%". Could I be one of the 15% who don't cough? 

The information I've seen says one shouldn't even bother to contact one's personal physician unless you have a temperature over 101. If my temperature never gets that high (which I of course hope doesn't happen), I will almost surely never be tested and never know for sure.

The scariest part of that though is knowing when I can leave my apartment again. People who've been hospitalized seem to have to have two tests showing no virus 24 hours apart before they are being released -- and lots of those who feel fine evidently still test positive for the virus for a while. So if and when I get over whatever it is I have, when is it safe for me to leave? Since I won't even know for sure what I had, that seems like a complete mystery to me. 

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Like me, for instance.

I am home sick and self-quarantined right now. I have some sort of respiratory illness. I just took my temperature and it was 99.5 Fahrenheit. 

I have a really good chance of NOT having Covid-19, primarily because I am NOT coughing, and everything I read seems to have coughing as the most common symptom. On the other hand there are people who test positive with no symptoms at all, and the one place I remember seeing a % put with the symptoms I think coughing said "85%". Could I be one of the 15% who don't cough? 

The information I've seen says one shouldn't even bother to contact one's personal physician unless you have a temperature over 101. If my temperature never gets that high (which I of course hope doesn't happen), I will almost surely never be tested and never know for sure.

The scariest part of that though is knowing when I can leave my apartment again. People who've been hospitalized seem to have to have two tests showing no virus 24 hours apart before they are being released -- and lots of those who feel fine evidently still test positive for the virus for a while. So if and when I get over whatever it is I have, when is it safe for me to leave? Since I won't even know for sure what I had, that seems like a complete mystery to me. 

A difficult situation indeed. I hope it does not get worse in your case. 

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Like me, for instance.

https://imgcdn.cna.com.tw/Eng/WebEngPhotos/1024/2020/20200302/2499x2800_33186344117.jpg
I hop you don't have it; but...

87.9% - Fever

67.7% - Dry Cough

38.1% - Fatigue

33.4% - Sputum Production

18.6% - Shortness of Breath

Just now, Mlle. Zabzie said:

@Ormond, please take care of yourself.  Maybe call your doctor and see what the guidance is currently in terms of self-quarantine?  Do you have enough supplies for two weeks?  If not, do you have someone who could shop for you and drop groceries at the door/peapod?  

I have more than one person who's offered to buy me groceries, and I have enough now for at least ten days.

Just now, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Took me 5 tries to dial into a conference call.  We got a notification that all of our providers (Intercall, Webex, Zoom, etc.) were having the same issue - complete overload based on call volume.  So yay?

Good to know. Have a conference call in a couple of days using Webex. Will start dialing in early.

22 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Like me, for instance.

Heal well and quickly my friend.  :)

Archived