COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Which Tyler

I think one of the big issues people brought to them was the lack of available child care if they closed the schools.

The UK has decided not to close any schools because they figured vulnerable grandparents would be called in to babysit.

The Covid2019 outbreak will be interesting to read about in a textbook some day but I don't think it will be all that fun to live through.  The "interesting" part (and yes I realize that is probably the wrong word) will be seeing exactly how long the various social niceties will last in a genuine crisis. 

I was at the store last night and some guy went to the diaper aisle and loaded all the baby wipes into his cart.  Probably to resell them all in a couple of weeks out of the trunk of his car or something. 

And I had a really interesting conversaiton with a kid maybe 19 who didn't understand vinegar can be used to clean stuff. 

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Really?  When did they each announce they were closing all schools?   

We're most of NY's already closed when that was announced?  Were many of them on spring break anyway?

A whole bunch of states announced that schools would be closing either last Thursday or last Friday, but the mayor of New York City waited until Sunday evening to announce that its schools would close (and he only did it because the teachers and parents basically gave him no choice). New York State schools are still open unless a specific county has chosen to close them so some are open and some are closed. And no, spring break in NYC schools is not until April 9th.

1 minute ago, Crazydog7 said:

The Covid2019 outbreak will be interesting to read about in a textbook some day but I don't think it will be all that fun to live through.  The "interesting" part (and yes I realize that is probably the wrong word) will be seeing exactly how long the various social niceties will last in a genuine crisis. 

I was at the store last night and some guy went to the diaper aisle and loaded all the baby wipes into his cart.  Probably to resell them all in a couple of weeks out of the trunk of his car or something. 

And I had a really interesting conversaiton with a kid maybe 19 who didn't understand vinegar can be used to clean stuff. 

The ‘interesting’ thing to me, would be to see carbon emissions data for this time period when all of this is over.  So many people are working from home, I wonder if there will be a measurable difference.  Might be on track to to hit the 2050 goals right now!

The governor of Colorado was just being interviewed on CNN. Colorado now has 140 cases. Colorado has a population of 5.7 M.

Being compulsive, I compare these things to Canada. With 6.5 times the population, Canada would have 910 cases. But we have 441.

This is not a diss against Colorado. This is about a sick feeling at the pit of my stomach.

On the other hand, at Colorado’s rate NY would have 476 cases. Is NY that much worse, or is Colorado not testing as much?

19 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

The store should have refused to sell that quantity to the asshole.

Our govt has just announced a massive economic package aimed at taking most of the sting out of the conomic fallout of this disease. The over all package amounts to 4% of GDP. which if scaled up to the USA equates to $480 Bn in extra spending (for us though it's $12.1 Bn). Nearly half of that money is going to wage support, paying employers up to $580 per week per employee to keep underutilised staff employed. Special sick leave is also going to be available for people needing to do the 14 day self-isolation, which will also apply to contractors (who normally have no leave provisions as contractors). There is also extra money for the health system, a permanent increase to the unemployment benefit, extra money for people on welfare and retirement superannuation to pay for expected higher winter heating bills.

Hopefully it will be enough to stop too many business from going belly up. But I'm sure there will still be economic casualties.

Just now, Free Northman Reborn said:

The long term preppers aren’t being laughed at as much anymore. They will probably do pretty well, hunkered down in their compounds, basements and bunkers, with 5 years’ worth of canned food, fresh water, toilet paper and of course ammunition.

Weren't they planning for Russian invasions or Obama coming for their guns, not a pandemic?

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Weren't they planning for Russian invasions or Obama coming for their guns, not a pandemic?

A worldwide pandemic is one of the major doomsday prepper scenarios, along with mass coronal ejections frying the power grid, super volcano eruptions, asteroid impacts and general economic and social collapse.

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The long term preppers aren’t being laughed at as much anymore. They will probably do pretty well, hunkered down in their compounds, basements and bunkers, with 5 years’ worth of canned food, fresh water, toilet paper and of course ammunition.

You know I don't agree with much of anything of your get down, but this one is on me :cheers:

See Tremors' gun room scene, can't link

Just now, Free Northman Reborn said:

A worldwide pandemic is one of the major doomsday prepper scenarios, along with mass coronal ejections frying the power grid, super volcano eruptions, asteroid impacts and general economic and social collapse.

You forgot sand worms from Dune.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

You were being serious/comedic at the same time, right?

Sorry, your humour has clearly gone over my head. This is literally a world wide pandemic. Something which preppers are better prepared for than 99% of the population, precisely because of their scenario plans. So not sure why you find it humorous, or worthy of ridicule.

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Sorry, your humour has clearly gone over my head. This is literally a world wide pandemic. Something which preppers are better prepared for than 99% of the population, precisely because of their scenario plans. So not sure why you find it humorous, or worthy of ridicule.

Real talk, is the roaming horde at your place yet? 

Archived