COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Which Tyler

30 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

The Covid2019 outbreak will be interesting to read about in a textbook some day but I don't think it will be all that fun to live through.  The "interesting" part (and yes I realize that is probably the wrong word) will be seeing exactly how long the various social niceties will last in a genuine crisis. 

I was at the store last night and some guy went to the diaper aisle and loaded all the baby wipes into his cart.  Probably to resell them all in a couple of weeks out of the trunk of his car or something. 

And I had a really interesting conversaiton with a kid maybe 19 who didn't understand vinegar can be used to clean stuff. 

Vinegar will be more plentiful, but lemon juice would work to. might be nicer (small wise) to use Vinegar on surfaces and Lemon Juice for hands if hand sanitiser is unavailable. I suppose it would also be less harsh on skin than meths, though is the drying effect of alcohol harsher than the effect of moderate acids? Depending how vulnerable the virus is to acid it could be that even plain carbonated water is sufficiently acidic to kill the virus (pH 3-4).

Our case # has gone up to 11. So far all official cases are New Zealand residents who arrived recently from overseas trips, or immediate family members. We also have our first deportation under our mandatory self-isolation for all international arrivals (implemented on Monday NZ time). A backpacker was taken away from a hostel by police because she had no self-isolation plan.

28 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Is the literal manifestation of one of their hypothesized scenarios really the time to try and ridicule their views?

I would say it's not unreasonable to still poke a bit of fun. Because it's still based on an extreme belief that govts and civil institutions can't handle this sort of temporary disruption, which is quite wrong.

Most of what they are prepping for is highly, highly unlikely to happen in their lifetime, or it's something that even a half competent govt will be able to muddle through with only moderate disruption.

The one thing they could be legit prepping for a lot of them don't even believe in: climate change.

Everyone should be reasonably disaster prepared: water, food that doesn't need to be cooked to be eaten and can last un-refrigerated, toilet paper I guess, and emergency contact / meet up plan. But there's not much need to go beyond that. 

Reminds me, I threw out all of our water stash when we moved last month, so I need to get another stash.

17 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

This is literally a world wide pandemic. Something which preppers are better prepared for than 99% of the population, precisely because of their scenario plans.

I'm not seeing it. They're probably better prepared for a pandemic which significantly disrupts supply chains and thus causes shortages of necessities, but beyond the rather amusing run on toilet paper (which was short lived: I saw some at the store today), this is not that. The reason I need to go outside (and worse, take the subway) is not that I lack food, but that I need to go to work and having more canned goods or even a bunker would not change this.

29 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Sorry, your humour has clearly gone over my head. This is literally a world wide pandemic. Something which preppers are better prepared for than 99% of the population, precisely because of their scenario plans. So not sure why you find it humorous, or worthy of ridicule.

You do know your country’s National Security Council had a working group prepared to deal with pandemics which your military has warned for years were on their list of threats to national security, until Republicans decided it wasn’t necessary?

Question: if you were to take a guess at what political affiliation a prepper had, would you say they were more likely to be a Democrat or more likely to be a Republican?

As for those of us north of the wall, we are constantly instructed to have emergency supplies on hand because of things like, you know, massive snow storms, destructive ice storms, power failures and just plain total failures of the power grid, because they have all happened at least once in most of the country in the past 10 or 15 years. Not a years worth of supplies, or 5 years, mind you, so the preppers are up on that. But we still go wild for toilet paper in pandemics.

29 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Sorry, your humour has clearly gone over my head. This is literally a world wide pandemic. Something which preppers are better prepared for than 99% of the population, precisely because of their scenario plans. So not sure why you find it humorous, or worthy of ridicule.

People who think lizard-folk control us are arguably better prepared for some RL scenarios; I don’t see how that in any way makes their position less open to ridicule. 

26 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I'm not seeing it. They're probably better prepared for a pandemic which significantly disrupts supply chains and thus causes shortages of necessities, but beyond the rather amusing run on toilet paper (which was short lived: I saw some at the store today), this is not that. The reason I need to go outside (and worse, take the subway) is not that I lack food, but that I need to go to work and having more canned goods or even a bunker would not change this.

Yep, same for me. But it would undeniably be better to have more rather than less of every item one might need if shortages intensify.

Actually I had the exact same thought as Northman, this would be a pretty great time to be a prepper.  Many people have been instructed not to come into work anyway.  If I had a bunker/cabin/ranch somewhere with 6 months worth of food and a shit load of ammo I think sometime in the next few days might be a really great time to throw 5 or 10 books in the truck and dip a toe in the water of off the grid living.  Note that I don’t think that is going to be necessary for this particular event, but who knows what the next 2 weeks will bring in this country which will be filled with food panic and economic anxiety in a culture already full of armed unstables.  If I could bug out, I would.

I’m pretty liberal on almost all topics and I dislike the assumption that it’s only right wing crazy people that try to protect themselves from major disasters by being overly prepared for an unlikely event (Or via possession of firearms for that matter).  Though they really are unlikely, this kind of possibility weighs on a lot of people’s minds, including mine.  I often do find myself thinking about what I would do if x,y, or z happened and while some certainly take it too far there’s lots and lots of room for common sense preparedness.  

So... Universal are releasing movies direct to digital which otherwise would have opened in Cinemas. ($20 for 48 hour rental).

I quite like the idea - gives people stuck at home something to watch and helps the studio recover lost revenue. The trouble is I'm not overly interested in the movies they are releasing. I wish Disney/Marvel would follow suit.

This is a really rough time to be about to move cross country (USA). I didn't stockpile anything because I was trying to empty my apartment, and now the shelter-in-place thing hit.  

What do you think the odds are of any Bay Area airports being open on Sunday? 

Would it be better to try to drive instead? They wouldn't like, close state borders would they? 

I have a couple more weeks on my lease and I don't know if they'd actually kick me out or not given the shelter in place order, so it's possible I might be able to hunker down here, which is my absolute least favorite option

13 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I've always thought that there's great potential for a movie in maybe a similar tone to Thank You for Smoking where the star is some kind of guy who caters to the Prepper crowd and sort of takes advantage of them but knows how to think their language, and throughout the film you see many of them that exhibit the most paranoid side of things but that many of them turn out to be lovable characters all the same.

Someone write that script while you're self-quarantined these next few weeks.  

Maybe show the different type of preppers too?

Differentiate between people who just want to be ready for a disaster, and those who are preparing to resist the “One World Army” when we come to take their guns. 

(I’d write the script myself, but I’m still in the middle of a 10 page essay on Stein’s Gate )

48 minutes ago, Underfoot said:

This is a really rough time to be about to move cross country (USA). I didn't stockpile anything because I was trying to empty my apartment, and now the shelter-in-place thing hit.  

Would it be better to try to drive instead? They wouldn't like, close state borders would they? 

I have a couple more weeks on my lease and I don't know if they'd actually kick me out or not given the shelter in place order, so it's possible I might be able to hunker down here, which is my absolute least favorite option

I think driving might be OK, but all the way across the country is definitely daunting right now.

If it makes you feel any better, I am in almost the exact same situation.  I’m about to move halfway across the country.  I got a POD for moving and they dropped it in my driveway literally today.  The damn driver shook my hand after we concluded our business, so I had to go inside after he left and furiously wash my hands.  But anyway, I have signed a lease and paid deposits on our new place already.  

Our original plan was to keep only the bare essentials, send everything else ahead of us in the POD, leave around the 27th and take our time getting there, but now... will we even be able to leave on the 27th?  Will staying a night in a hotel be possible? will we have freedom of movement across state lines?  Will gas stations stay open and stocked?

My parents live about 2 hours from where we are moving.  My sister and her husband live less than an hour.  When all this shit started going down I originally had the idea for my wife and I to pack our shit, send it off, then shelter with my parents for the 10ish days that PODS said it would take for our stuff to arrive at the new place.  

I slept on that for a night and then couldn’t bear the thought that my wife or I might get exposed here or on the way, and then end up killing my parents who are at the cusp of the biggest risk group.  My sister has a mild, but notable, heart condition so I’d rather not kill her either.  I’ve been away for seven years, regular contact with them can wait a few more weeks or months.  I honestly think that it is unlikely that we would expose them, there have not been many cases in my area and my wife and I have been vigilant AF for at least a week, but I can’t get over the worst case scenario and want to play it safe.

I really don’t know what to do.  We could stay here as planned, but if a lockdown happens and our lease is up, what then?  Do I pay two rents, here and there, until I can get up there?  That isn’t economically feasible for more than a month or two, especially since I already quit my other job.  My new landlord has indicated in the past that he is open to giving us the keys to the house early since it’s currently empty.  Gonna call him tomorrow and confirm.  It’s a 21hr drive.  I think together my wife and I can manage it in a single, horrible slog if necessary and I’m becoming inclined to leaving sooner rather than later.  At least then I’ll be where I need to be when the new job starts.  For a while we are going to have to deal with living in a flop house with a very limited amount of stuff, whether here or there, so maybe we should just try to get out of here in the next 48hrs.  

Good luck to you!  I think driving should be pretty safe as long as you are vigilant about disinfecting yourself and surfaces in the car during bathroom and gas stops. I would personally deem the process of moving to a new place to make a living within the realm of ‘necessary’ travel.  I think what we really don’t want are the large gatherings at airports/planes for unnecessary things such as vacations and business that could be conducted virtually.

1 hour ago, Underfoot said:

Not American nor living in US. But if other countries experiences are helpful, situation is highly dynamic and changing by the hour. I had an hectic week that started with lot of cancelled things and finished with a lockdown. Watch out what other countries are doing and how far behind is the US related to them. My feeling is no more than a week.

When you’re a professional of some kind you come to realize that a lot of intelligent, well educated people seem to missing a great deal of common sense. It’s the arrogance of the elites that Trump supporters sneer at, right? 

There was a large dentistry conference held in Vancouver last weekend, attended by 20,000 people. You would think by the first week of March people would already have had the sense to cancel such conferences. Nope. Four new cases of Covid-19 have been announced in BC, all linked to the conference, and 19 others across the country. Health authorities are telling all attendees to self-isolate for 14 days. 

Will people too stupid to cancel their conference obey suggestions they self-isolate? Why do I think they won’t?  And people get pissed off at lawyers! Frigging dentists! 

Welp...I found out that I have a direct (albeit unlikely) line of transmission to a confirmed case here in Oklahoma. I'm self-quarantining and working from home for at least the next two weeks. 

Worst part is that I was supposed to have my kids for spring break, but.had to nix that because my oldest and my ex are both in high-risk categories (asthma & steroid inhaler/cancer, respectively), but because I told them I had the flu and then things really started going to shit, now they're convinced I'm going to die from COVID-19. 

I let them come see me with the screen door between us, talk to them on the phone, explain it's out of an abundance of caution; they still think it's because I'm sick though.

I also literally started my new job 5 weeks ago, and while they ordered me to stay home, and everyone keeps checking in with me to see how I'm doing, I just can't help but wonder if this is a bad look for me anyway. I'm also freaking a bit because of the whole "I now have 0 seniority and the economy is about to shit the bed" thing.

Mostly I have cabin fever.

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is the Italian total death rate really at 7.7%?

Everybody wonders about these figures. There's probably a large number of people who caught the virus but weren't tested. And their health care system can't really deal with the large number of cases. Which will happen everywhere soon if the virus keeps spreading.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

I started doing home deliveries, but the wait time for slots suddenly went from 48 hours to 8 days (!). The new strategy is to go to our local Tescos at about 2am to try to get in as the shelves are restocked. But yeah, it's bananas.

People localy have been hoarding delivery slots as well - putting wine into the basket, enough to book the slot; twice a week for as far ahead as the system allows them too - then editting it on a daily basis; and if they forget / don't need anything, then they just take the wine!

I've also seen reports that some people scum are going around knocking on doors pretending to be from the NHS offering to go get shopping for people. Then taking their orders and cash or cards and robbing them and their accounts.

11 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

People localy have been hoarding delivery slots as well - putting wine into the basket, enough to book the slot; twice a week for as far ahead as the system allows them too - then editting it on a daily basis; and if they forget / don't need anything, then they just take the wine!

Tesco could stop that in seconds.  Though people do need wine at the minute. 

Just been for a wonder down the local high road, all the local stores had absolutely normal stock levels (especially the indian supermarkets), people need to stop trying to get everything from big shops, and just change their eating habits.  Their is shit load of fruit and veg, people should try and cook something healthy for a change. 

2 hours ago, Loge said:

Everybody wonders about these figures. There's probably a large number of people who caught the virus but weren't tested. And their health care system can't really deal with the large number of cases. Which will happen everywhere soon if the virus keeps spreading.

I read an interview in the newspaper (FAZ) today about the different German and Italian mortality rates. The interview was with a virologist who studies a region in Germany with an major outbreak (Heinsberg).

In short his conclusion is that the Italian mortality rate is as high because they where suddenly overwhelmed and so could only test cases in which people came to the hospital with major health issues. So of the people who are as ill as to go to the hospital, about 8 % will die. But if you test to investigate an outbreak (so you also test people with mild or no symtoms) like it was done in Heinsberg the mortality rate is much much lower (not clear yet how much exactly but less than 0.7%).

Also in my part of Germany there has not been any shortage of anything in the supermarkets yet. Must be a Berlin thing.

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Tesco could stop that in seconds.  Though people do need wine at the minute. 

Just been for a wonder down the local high road, all the local stores had absolutely normal stock levels (especially the indian supermarkets), people need to stop trying to get everything from big shops, and just change their eating habits.  Their is shit load of fruit and veg, people should try and cook something healthy for a change. 

They could - but they'd rather get more drivers and money.

Absolutely agree on shopping for fresh stuff and smaller shops

Archived