COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Which Tyler

17 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

People localy have been hoarding delivery slots as well - putting wine into the basket, enough to book the slot; twice a week for as far ahead as the system allows them too - then editting it on a daily basis; and if they forget / don't need anything, then they just take the wine!

Tesco are going on a recruitment drive at the moment. They are offering solid rates for drivers to take deliveries to people in their own vehicles, since their normal capacity is insufficient.

I can see the major supermarkets switching gears to using their shops as warehouses for a huge delivery network. Tesco are ahead of the game because they invested heavily in the delivery system. Asda were well behind the curve and Sainsburys further still. Tesco are seeing a chance here to recapture the ground lost to Aldi and Lidl (whose own delivery services are still on the drawing board).

Just had a pretty sobering meeting with my boss, we rely heavily on selling at the Christmas markets in Washington DC every winter. If that’s affected, we don’t have a business. But there’s no way we’ll know for sure by then, obviously the organisers are currently saying it’ll go ahead. So I’m in the strange position, as far as my livelihood is concerned, of hoping the virus isn’t seasonal and that this is all dealt with in the coming months. I have no idea how likely that is. Part of my brain can’t accept that by next winter, things would still be closed but maybe that’s naive.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just been for a wonder down the local high road, all the local stores had absolutely normal stock levels (especially the indian supermarkets), people need to stop trying to get everything from big shops, and just change their eating habits. 

Yep, my local Polish and Asian supermarkets are all fully stocked still. Even the Tesco Express and similar. I've only seen bare shelves at the big box stores.

So we have been told to send anyone home for 12 weeks who is high risk, but that includes asthma.  I have the mildest asthma ever, I have never had an attack, I don't wheeze, as long as I take my inhaler morning and night.  I am not remotely symptomatic.  I cant lock myself away for 12 weeks and leave everyone to deal with the shitstorm can I?

I can't find any guidance on whether the level of asthma matters, so i am probably going to sit on the phone for 3 days trying to get an answer. 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can't find any guidance on whether the level of asthma matters, so i am probably going to sit on the phone for 3 days trying to get an answer. 

I'm not an expert at all, but I'm fairly confident that there hasn't been a study comparing the impacts of covid on varying levels of asthma.  There just hasn't been time to get that kind of detailed study.  It seems like a safe assumption that mild asthma would be less of a problem than severe asthma.  But it is nonetheless a risk that you need to weigh for yourself.  And this risk calculus is increasingly difficult because there is a very real possibility that if you do have severe symptoms, that a hospital bed will not be available for you.  :unsure:

8 hours ago, S John said:

Actually I had the exact same thought as Northman, this would be a pretty great time to be a prepper.  Many people have been instructed not to come into work anyway.  If I had a bunker/cabin/ranch somewhere with 6 months worth of food and a shit load of ammo I think sometime in the next few days might be a really great time to throw 5 or 10 books in the truck and dip a toe in the water of off the grid living.  Note that I don’t think that is going to be necessary for this particular event, but who knows what the next 2 weeks will bring in this country which will be filled with food panic and economic anxiety in a culture already full of armed unstables.  If I could bug out, I would.

I do wonder how many billionaires we don't hear or see from for the next bit of time, and it turns out its because they've fled to isolated, self-sufficient compounds. If I had one, I'd flee to a private Caribbean island, or a fortress raunch deep in the Montana hinterlands, or maybe even a New Zealand estate.

I was reading the other day about the Spanish Flu, and it turns out that, unlike a lot of Pacific islands (and elsewhere obviously) that were devastated by it, American Samoa never got it. Reason being, the governor heard about it on a radio, and placed the islands under a blanket quarantine from outside ships until the Flu was gone.

It'd be nice to have that kind of security.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

I do wonder how many billionaires we don't hear or see from for the next bit of time, and it turns out its because they've fled to isolated, self-sufficient compounds. If I had one, I'd flee to a private Caribbean island, or a fortress raunch deep in the Montana hinterlands, or maybe even a New Zealand estate.

I was reading the other day about the Spanish Flu, and it turns out that, unlike a lot of Pacific islands (and elsewhere obviously) that were devastated by it, American Samoa never got it. Reason being, the governor heard about it on a radio, and placed the islands under a blanket quarantine from outside ships until the Flu was gone.

It'd be nice to have that kind of security.

A lot of billionaires have self-sufficient bunkers afaik. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Tesco are going on a recruitment drive at the moment. They are offering solid rates for drivers to take deliveries to people in their own vehicles, since their normal capacity is insufficient.

I can see the major supermarkets switching gears to using their shops as warehouses for a huge delivery network. Tesco are ahead of the game because they invested heavily in the delivery system. Asda were well behind the curve and Sainsburys further still. Tesco are seeing a chance here to recapture the ground lost to Aldi and Lidl (whose own delivery services are still on the drawing board).

What are they paying and can I commute.

:) 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:47 AM, Lollygag said:

Heh. I just received an email from my old holistic doctor (actual MD - I've moved out of state) and she does recommend chloroquine citing the following: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm showing symptoms now and a doc or a test are out of the question. I'm very prone to bronchitis so I'm in the risk category and it's trying to set in again. Bright side in everything shutting down is the cleaner the air for those of us with breathing problems :P. Sharing in case anyone else is in a similar situation and equally frustrated with facing home treatment or nothing and hoping to avoid hospitals which might not even be an option in a few weeks.

Also recommends:

•  A lot of vitamin C which has been proven effective: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n11.shtml
  • Vitamin D 2000-5000IU per day depending as it's fat soluble and the body stores it. See the link below.
  • Silver nasal spray used nightly before bed
  • Supplements with Echinacea, Elderberry (will email her about this per my earlier post), astragalus, mushrooms, beta glucans, ashwaganda, green tea, D, zinc, NAC, and C)

Doc *very* strongly recommends avoiding flu shots while under this immune-booster regiment.

Also, I regularly breath steam into my lungs both through my sinuses and mouth to keep bronchitis from taking hold. Working this time, too.

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n06.shtml

I hope you're doing okay, but it's important to point out that there have been no completed randomized controlled trials (or even prospective cohort studies) supporting any of this. There may indeed be a role for chloroquine (and other anti-malarials?) but extra high doses of Vit D might only lead to toxicity. Also, any physician recommending against a vaccine because of "immune-booster" supplements is committing borderline malpractice. Can the supplements, get the flu vaccine. If there were a COVID-19 vaccine (and there will be... in 12-18 months), would this reasoning apply?

20 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Covid-19 hits the lungs. People might end up with scarred lungs that will result in long-term health problems.

The respiratory syndrome associated with severe COVID-19 is "ARDS" or "Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome". It can cause short-term fibrotic changes, but generally lung function returns to baseline within a few months to a year. Assuming you get there.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

When you’re a professional of some kind you come to realize that a lot of intelligent, well educated people seem to missing a great deal of common sense. It’s the arrogance of the elites that Trump supporters sneer at, right? 

There was a large dentistry conference held in Vancouver last weekend, attended by 20,000 people. You would think by the first week of March people would already have had the sense to cancel such conferences. Nope. Four new cases of Covid-19 have been announced in BC, all linked to the conference, and 19 others across the country. Health authorities are telling all attendees to self-isolate for 14 days. 

Will people too stupid to cancel their conference obey suggestions they self-isolate? Why do I think they won’t?  And people get pissed off at lawyers! Frigging dentists! 

That sounds quite anti-Dentite. 

My hospital is preparing - and well enough I'd say. Visitors are restricted except to palliative care, pediatric patients, and obstetrics/babies. And even then, only one at a home with screening at the door. 

In the meantime, we've almost cleared out an entire ward for isolation use. We haven't quite settled on our approach for allocation of ICU beds, but the recovery room will likely take the non-COVID-19 patients at a certain point to maintain some degree of separation. It may all be unnecessary and I really hope it turns out that way. We have one case so far, something like another 150-200 tested without any positive results. Schools are closed along with most other things. Stores are stocked well enough for now. And we are on an island so that doesn't hurt. But I think we'll be as ready as we  can be. We're going to some simulation exercises within a few days to really get things ready. 

I'm also part of a few social media groups for physicians about the virus. Mostly there are a lot of memes and comments about "flattening the curve", but also a lot of anxiety and concern - and some is about the financial side with most "elective" things being cancelled. (I was going to be away this week and next so didn't have much of anything booked anyway.) This does mean a big hit for some, but the complaining seems awfully selfish and tone deaf. No one is getting through this unscathed.

I felt a LOT of anxiety about the virus and the consequences of social distancing late last week and over the weekend. At some point, I decided that this is, essentially, a war, and we must mobilize our resources and accept necessary sacrifices to get through it. 

1 hour ago, Liv Stark said:

So i guess we are in lockdown now, we are allowed to go outside for 10 minutes at a time (and only if there is nobody around), going to shop for food is allowed only if there is no delivery option, parks, beaches, malls are off limits. 

Meanwhile the federal facility of 15,000 employees in my county is still business as usual.

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

Like me, for instance.

I am home sick and self-quarantined right now. I have some sort of respiratory illness. I just took my temperature and it was 99.5 Fahrenheit. 

I have a really good chance of NOT having Covid-19, primarily because I am NOT coughing, and everything I read seems to have coughing as the most common symptom. On the other hand there are people who test positive with no symptoms at all, and the one place I remember seeing a % put with the symptoms I think coughing said "85%". Could I be one of the 15% who don't cough? 

The information I've seen says one shouldn't even bother to contact one's personal physician unless you have a temperature over 101. If my temperature never gets that high (which I of course hope doesn't happen), I will almost surely never be tested and never know for sure.

The scariest part of that though is knowing when I can leave my apartment again. People who've been hospitalized seem to have to have two tests showing no virus 24 hours apart before they are being released -- and lots of those who feel fine evidently still test positive for the virus for a while. So if and when I get over whatever it is I have, when is it safe for me to leave? Since I won't even know for sure what I had, that seems like a complete mystery to me. 

I know what you mean about not being sure what to do from here.  My husband is getting over "something" that gave him a low grade fever like yours, but he was/is coughing and hacking up a storm.  Upthread I repeated what we were told by the doc about watching your heart rate, etc.  Wish we had more concrete info and guidance on all this, but we just have to wait for more results to come in.  In the meantime, take care.  This gives us all the opportunity to catch up on some reading we've been meaning to get to. :) 

Apparently the surge in online shopping is even too much for Amazon right now.

Faced with merchandise shortages in the US and Europe due to the new coronavirus outbreak, Amazon on Tuesday instituted sweeping changes on which products it will store and ship from its warehouses over the next three weeks in a move it said was aimed at keeping essential items in stock and speeding up orders.

Early Tuesday morning, Amazon said it would be “temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock and deliver these products to customers.”

The company said most of the products it was still accepting fall into one of six categories: baby products, health and household, beauty and personal care, grocery, industrial and scientific, and pet supplies. The messages were sent to both third-party sellers who store goods in Amazon warehouses through the Fulfillment by Amazon program, as well as wholesale vendors who sell goods to Amazon that then Amazon then resells to customers.

Going to really hurt the third-party retailers that rely on Amazon for shipping.

Forgive the large cut-and-paste, but I just had to get some others' opinions on this email we received recently from a friend of my husband's.  And, yes, it was sent in all caps. 

DEAR FRIENDS OF HUMANITY:

PLEASE READ FOLLOWING DESCRIPTION OF A TENATIVE TREATMENT/THERAPY FOR ALL HUMAN VIRUSES IN GENERAL AND THE CORONA VIRUS IN PARTICULAR.   READ, PRINT OUT, SIGN, WITNESS AND PUT IN A SAFE PLACE.  (YOUR COOPERATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.)  ONCE YOU AGREE THAT THE VIABILITY OF THIS THERAPHY SHOULD BE EXPLORED, WAIT FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE WE COMMENSE ON A MASS EMAIL TO PERSONS OF INFLUENCE (POLITICIANS, MEDIA PEOPLE, GRASS ROOTS ACTIVISTS) THANK YOU.

THIS CONCEPT IS A COST EFFECTIVE TREATMENT THAT ALMOST INSTANTLY DESTROYS THE CORONA VIRUS IN THE HUMAN LUNGS AND POTENTIALLY ANY OTHER UPPER RESPIRATORY VIRUSES IN HUMANS.

THIS TREATMENT CONSISTS OF COMBINING TWO COMMON GASES, OZONE AND OXYGEN.  THIS TREATMENT WAS PROVEN EFFECTIVE IN 2014 IN TRIALS IN AFRICA UNDER A VERY PRIMITIVE CONDITIONS AND WITH A VERY PRIMITIVE DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR EBOLA AND CORONA VIRUS.  (SEE ATTACHMENT BELOW).

TO TAKE THIS TREATMENT TO A PRACTICAL APPLICATION LEVEL AND ADDRESS THE CO-VID19 VERSION OF THE PANDEMIC CRISIS OF 2020, I WOULD LOAD ASTHMA STYLE INHALERS WITH THE FOREMENTIONED GASES, AND DISTRIBUTE TO INFECTED PERSONS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.  THIS IS MY ORIGINAL CONCEPT, PAIRING THE OXYGEN GASES AND OZONE GAS WITH INHALER AS DELIVERY SYSTEM.

THIS TREATMENT COULD PROVIDE INSTANT RELIEF AS IT DISRUPTS THE RESIDUES OF THE CYSTEINE DEPOSITS WITHIN THE CELLS OF THE CORONA VIRUS WHICH MUST REMAIN INTACT FOR VIRAL ACTIVITY.  HENCE VIRUS DISABLED AND NEUTRALIZED AS CYSTEINE RESIDUES NO LONGER INTACT.

THIS TREATMENT OF THE CORONA VIRUS IS VERY INEXPENSIVE AND SAFE AND COULD DESTROY THE VIRUS IN A MATTER OF SECONDS THEREBY RELIEVING OR SOLVING THE CURRENT VIRAL PANDEMIC.

THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN DEEMED TO BE UNPATENTABLE BY THE U.S. PHARMACUTICAL INDUSTRY  AND THUS OF NO INTEREST TO BIG PHARMA.  MY INTENT IS TO GET THIS INFORMATION TO PEOPLE OF INFLUENCE THAT COULD HELP PUSH THIS TO A TESTING PHASE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE TO HELP DETERMINE ITS VIABILITY.  

TESTING COULD COMMENSE ALMOST IMMEDIATELY WITH AN FDA WAIVER AND A PRODUCTION RUN OF THE GASES IN COMMON INHALERS.  WITH NO SHORTAGE OF CO-VID19 POSITIVE SUBJECTS FOR TESTING.  THIS THERAPHY COULD BE PROVEN IN WEEKS."

At the bottom he lists his name, address, contact info, and then there's space for your signature, witness signatures, etc.  

My immediate reaction is "WTF?", but maybe I'm just too skeptical.  I think I'll have my husband call him and see if this is HIS idea or some come-on from Nigeria. 

I’m deemed at risk due to being asthmatic and immune-compromised, so called boss today; I’m annual leave this week but not to go in on MondayLooks like I’ve tonself-isolate for the 12 week period.

If they can source me a work laptop (I work as police staff as an analyst) I can work from home.

Failing that, 12 weeks to write, read books and carch up on video games.

52 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

That sounds quite anti-Dentite. 

Ha! How can people with the title ‘Doctor’ be so damn stupid?  Yes, yes, Aemon, they’re just dentists, calm down, lol!

I looked at our threads here - Ser Scott started the first one on Feb. 1, which hit 22 pages March 4. By then everyone was already very concerned. The conference started the 5th or the 6th and the long term care home in Washington already had 12 deaths. BC already had cases.

I just tried to search the topic of cancelled conferences. By the last week of February everybody and his brother was cancelling conferences. I’m sure they didn’t because they just figured ‘oh it will be ok and we’ll lose too much money’.

But then again Boston became a hotspot because Biogen held a ‘leadership conference’ for 175 top company people at a Boston hotel. A week or two later 70 confirmed cases were linked to that meeting. 

And just looking up the details of that meeting I see that a Chinese employee of Biogen who attended the meeting travelled back to Beijing and lied about details. She has Covid-19. I can’t imagine the consequences she faces.

Archived