COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Which Tyler

Just saw a spokesperson for WHO does say they presently are recommending paracematol rather than acetaminophen for fever relief if self-medicating. The science isn't done on this topic but there are enough early results in that they're being cautious.

18 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

immediate reaction is "WTF?", but maybe I'm just too skeptical.  I think I'll have my husband call him and see if this is HIS idea or some come-on from Nigeria. 

This is quackery from the Ebola days.

Facebook is giving all employees $1,000 to help them through the pandemic. (45,000 full time employees for certain, don’t know about contractors)

They will also give $100 M to small businesses to help them. I don’t know if that’s just ones who advertise on Facebook.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

This is quackery from the Ebola days.

I think that nonsense preceded Ebola. But there'll always be a snake oil salesman to push his product. Other classics, bleach and silver solutions. Quicksilver has also been pushed in the past I think.

Personally, if I were to go down some quackery treatment road, I'd ask former ZA President Jacob Zuma for advice. His cure for AIDS was at least fun to apply and a whole different level of crazy.

9 hours ago, S John said:

I think driving might be OK, but all the way across the country is definitely daunting right now.

If it makes you feel any better, I am in almost the exact same situation.  I’m about to move halfway across the country.  I got a POD for moving and they dropped it in my driveway literally today.  The damn driver shook my hand after we concluded our business, so I had to go inside after he left and furiously wash my hands.  But anyway, I have signed a lease and paid deposits on our new place already.  

Our original plan was to keep only the bare essentials, send everything else ahead of us in the POD, leave around the 27th and take our time getting there, but now... will we even be able to leave on the 27th?  Will staying a night in a hotel be possible? will we have freedom of movement across state lines?  Will gas stations stay open and stocked?

My parents live about 2 hours from where we are moving.  My sister and her husband live less than an hour.  When all this shit started going down I originally had the idea for my wife and I to pack our shit, send it off, then shelter with my parents for the 10ish days that PODS said it would take for our stuff to arrive at the new place.  

I slept on that for a night and then couldn’t bear the thought that my wife or I might get exposed here or on the way, and then end up killing my parents who are at the cusp of the biggest risk group.  My sister has a mild, but notable, heart condition so I’d rather not kill her either.  I’ve been away for seven years, regular contact with them can wait a few more weeks or months.  I honestly think that it is unlikely that we would expose them, there have not been many cases in my area and my wife and I have been vigilant AF for at least a week, but I can’t get over the worst case scenario and want to play it safe.

I really don’t know what to do.  We could stay here as planned, but if a lockdown happens and our lease is up, what then?  Do I pay two rents, here and there, until I can get up there?  That isn’t economically feasible for more than a month or two, especially since I already quit my other job.  My new landlord has indicated in the past that he is open to giving us the keys to the house early since it’s currently empty.  Gonna call him tomorrow and confirm.  It’s a 21hr drive.  I think together my wife and I can manage it in a single, horrible slog if necessary and I’m becoming inclined to leaving sooner rather than later.  At least then I’ll be where I need to be when the new job starts.  For a while we are going to have to deal with living in a flop house with a very limited amount of stuff, whether here or there, so maybe we should just try to get out of here in the next 48hrs.  

Good luck to you!  I think driving should be pretty safe as long as you are vigilant about disinfecting yourself and surfaces in the car during bathroom and gas stops. I would personally deem the process of moving to a new place to make a living within the realm of ‘necessary’ travel.  I think what we really don’t want are the large gatherings at airports/planes for unnecessary things such as vacations and business that could be conducted virtually.

It's a 36 hour drive that I've done before, but only ever over 4 days. I think I could do it in three, but I'm driving alone. Worst case, I know people at important stops along the way and could hunker down, but some of them I would not want to spend a multi week lockdown with, and would prefer to just be here (as long as my stuff was, haven't gotten ahold of the movers yet to see if they're still planning to pack me up on Thursday). 

Good luck with your travels too! I hope you make it!

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A high school friend posted a meme recommending gargling with salt water and vinegar to kill the virus in your throat. I asked if the CDC recommended this and was jumped on by her sister for “attacking her attempts to help”.

:(

We’re getting a firsthand lesson on how social media makes these situations worse, not better.

In other news my hospital network is running out of ventilators, and there’s no ETA as to when they can be restocked.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What are they paying and can I commute.

:) 

Do you own a boat, Scott? That's one long commute :P

Grocery store situation is pretty dire for me. The local and metro stores in the city centre are no better than the large supermarkets and yesterday began to see shortages of bread. I'm fine for groceries at the moment but don't have any kind of stockpile. 

Fresh produce isn't really a worry, fruit and veg stalls still been up and fully stocked every day. I wont starve. Must get my prescription though... 

Mostly worried for my family. My mam's a worrier and today she rang me from work, having had to take five minutes to pull herself together after bursting into tears. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We’re getting a firsthand lesson on how social media makes these situations worse, not better.

In other news my hospital network is running out of ventilators, and there’s no ETA as to when they can be restocked.

Perhaps because orders aren't being placed yet...

“We could increase production five-fold in a 90- to 120-day period,” says Chris Kiple, chief executive of Ventec Life Systems, a Bothell, Wash. firm that makes ventilators used in hospitals, homes and ambulances. He’d have to tool up production lines, train assemblers and testers and get parts. Accelerating the parts delivery might be the toughest task, he says.

The ventilator industry is getting a burst of desperate orders from China and Italy. The U.S. hasn’t seen that yet, although manufacturers are bracing for it. “The time for action by the government is now,” says Kiple. “[Covid] is most likely to get worse next fall.”

The article goes on. But basically, at least this one manufacturer hasn't seen an increase in orders yet; and they could build their capacity 5-fold over a few months.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

The article goes on. But basically, at least this one manufacturer hasn't seen an increase in orders yet; and they could build their capacity 5-fold over a few months.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they should get ahead of the game on that one and not wait to be asked. 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

n other news my hospital network is running out of ventilators, and there’s no ETA as to when they can be restocked.

Same here.

At least the salt-and-vinegar gargle won't harm the gargler, even if some is inadvertently swallowed.  A lot of people regularly drink a vinegar solution in winter to ward off colds and flu -- whether it works or not, that I don't know.

The NHS has said that as of 25 April all non-urgent operations will be postponed in order to free up beds, but it’s also allowing hospitals to start doing that earlier if they choose to. Also, the Church of England has cancelled all services except weddings and funerals.

22 minutes ago, Fez said:

The government needs to step in and mass produce them. They have to convert existing factories World War 2 style.

It’s good to see money will be in the mail, but we all need to be at home. There is no reason for anyone to be at work unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Archived