COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Which Tyler

6 hours ago, Tijgy said:

The dogmatic believe in open borders is the cause of the spreading of this disease.  WHO probably thought it was like Ebola - regarding the spread to the rest of the whole world. In general, Ebola is still more dangerous than the Coronoa - , but it started to spread the whole world from China to Italy to the rest of Europe... and I really hope it will stop there. And all those countries are right to close the borders to Europeans. And the EU should close internal borders. And in France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, ... people should just stay inside. 

You can say it might had been solved by just testing everyone, ... but we had to made decisions regarding tests already ages ago because we hadn't enough materials. We only test the ones very sick and health professionals - only when they have fever. When they don't have fever, they just need to work.

Yes Ebola it's a different issue. I guess that this was the main difference in being more restrictive.which is understandable in a way because it was extremely lethal. But this would have been the best idea once reached a point...apart from isolation within the cities. Problem is they are waiting too much.

Right now it has spread in my neighborhood as I have been told and Catalonia won't be doing any more tests (Madrid as well) bc we don't have resources. I myself have some temeprature and I don't know what to do...well I can't go outside.

Thing is, the Catalan Government wanted to people not go to work and close frontiers and for some reason Spain has bot decided we are at that point. Techbicallly we have to go to work unless our bosses provide us with the telematic help. But we can't go for a walk now. Makes no sense to me going to work. And the economy is already messed up with the exception of basic services and food industries that can't stop. So maybe prioritising? I don't know. Problem is that many people will lose their jobs, won't be able to pay basic things...we will face recession. But right now what's more important? 1x100 of the population is a lot.

As for the tests they can't be done to unless you have symptoms because the test increases the number of viruses so if you don't have enough they won't be detected. But they shoukd be done later once self isolation is a must once certaun numbers have been reached.

Anyway...about Catalonia and Madrid won't be doing any more tests. Which is against the WHO.... Maybe some countries like China should be helping us now Europe with the tests. It's complicated.

24 minutes ago, sologdin said:

Makes me think of Boccaccio's Decameron.

very fitting, agreed.  i had to explain this text to philistines at work this week.

Great idea. If I ever have to explain Decameron to students, I will use the current example to start with.

Tesco UK  (Basildon) was manic, was in the queue for the store opening. Managed to get 1 small handbag bottle of hand sanitizer. I left 3 on the shelf. Scanned it, then popped it in my trolley bag. 2 secs later someone grabbed it out of my bag. Had to get a member of staff to unscan it for me.

Was stuck in front of an empty pallet of toilet roll. Was barged out of the way. People grabbing loads of kitchen roll to use instead, hardly any of this left.

I did get the last box of non chocolate eggs. Why panic buy eggs?   btw  I only got them cos we had just 1 egg left so not panic buying from me.

Pasta and rice isle looked decimated.

Milk was low in stock levels.

Walked by the end of the tinned soup isle and it was totally rammed with people.

There was a lot of restricted items.  eg you can only buy 2 off each type.   people were getting round this by going in mob handed and each family member paying separately for 2 packs of toilet roll.   It looked like there was most things when the store opened, but you needed to be near the front of the queue, move quickly and you will get one type of the restricted items, by the time you get to the other isles its gone.

Did also managed to get a pack of paracetamol but that was near the hand sanitizer, cough remedies where all gone though.

I did not see anyone buying bottled water though. so I guess thats something.

I am so glad I prepped for Brexit.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes Ebola it's a different issue. I guess that this was the main difference in being more restrictive.which is understandable in a way because it was extremely lethal. But this would have been the best idea once reached a point...apart from isolation within the cities. Problem is they are waiting too much.

Right now it has spread in my neighborhood as I have been told and Catalonia won't be doing any more tests (Madrid as well) bc we don't have resources. I myself have some temeprature and I don't know what to do...well I can't go outside.

Thing is, the Catalan Government wanted to people not go to work and close frontiers and for some reason Spain has bot decided we are at that point. Techbicallly we have to go to work unless our bosses provide us with the telematic help. But we can't go for a walk now. Makes no sense to me going to work. And the economy is already messed up with the exception of basic services and food industries that can't stop. So maybe prioritising? I don't know. Problem is that many people will lose their jobs, won't be able to pay basic things...we will face recession. But right now what's more important? 1x100 of the population is a lot.

As for the tests they can't be done to unless you have symptoms because the test increases the number of viruses so if you don't have enough they won't be detected. But they shoukd be done later once self isolation is a must once certaun numbers have been reached.

Anyway...about Catalonia and Madrid won't be doing any more tests. Which is against the WHO.... Maybe some countries like China should be helping us now Europe with the tests. It's complicated.

The problem is that China used a lot of tests... In all European countries you have that problem. When I see people at the States complain at Trump that he doesn't enough they don't realize it is even worse in Europe. However it did create in the beginning problems. Patients without a suspicious travel history staying in a hospital without any test... oh, wait, he is a taxi driver. <_<

We don't have even a working government. We almost had one this morning. But the French-speaking parties committed a coup-d'etat claiming he would support the current government which would then take measure without a Flemish majority. They are incapable to work with the biggest Flemish party. And the party in the government doesn't want to lose five ministers.... after they already claimed the position of President of the European Commission en the position of the Belgian member of the European Commission.

We almost don't have any protection anymore for the health professionals. Al lot of deliveries were seized by Germany. If you remember, I always found the European solidarity lacking. But this ... the EU doesn't mean anything anymore. It only created problems and costs a lot of money. 

People are still coming from foreign countries without they are told to stay in quarantaine. No problem. At the same time they are closing the restaurants, ... Our federal government are bunch of idiots. Belgian people with their rave parties are idiots. 

Also Switzerland and Austria are getting more and more in trouble. 

The oat milk we get our daughter was gone, luckily we’d stocked up last week. Got enough formula if need be, which we get on script due to dairy allergy, though she only gets 1 bottle a day.

27 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

The problem is that China used a lot of tests... In all European countries you have that problem. When I see people at the States complain at Trump that he doesn't enough they don't realize it is even worse in Europe. However it did create in the beginning problems. Patients without a suspicious travel history staying in a hospital without any test... oh, wait, he is a taxi driver. <_<

We don't have even a working government. We almost had one this morning. But the French-speaking parties committed a coup-d'etat claiming he would support the current government which would then take measure without a Flemish majority. They are incapable to work with the biggest Flemish party. And the party in the government doesn't want to lose five ministers.... after they already claimed the position of President of the European Commission en the position of the Belgian member of the European Commission.

We almost don't have any protection anymore for the health professionals. Al lot of deliveries were seized by Germany. If you remember, I always found the European solidarity lacking. But this ... the EU doesn't mean anything anymore. It only created problems and costs a lot of money. 

People are still coming from foreign countries without they are told to stay in quarantaine. No problem. At the same time they are closing the restaurants, ... Our federal government are bunch of idiots. Belgian people with their rave parties are idiots. 

Also Switzerland and Austria are getting more and more in trouble. 

It's those double standards.....EU for what? I totally agree with you.

Now the President of Catalonia told us to stay at homr and not go to work despite the MP of Spain saying we can go to work...

The President of the Autonomous Commujity of Madrid said the same. Please close borders. please dont go to work. But we don't have competences for that.

Meanwhile people who go for a walk in a desert beach are fined. And we can go to the hairdresser. Technology shops can open as well.

The number of cases in South Africa has risen to 51 all of which are people who have travelled abroad. The National Institute for Communicable Diseases has said that there is currently no evidence to suggest that Covid-19 is circulating among the population but warn that that is very likely to change based on trends in other parts of the world. As of today, the National Health Laboratory Service has conducted 1476 tests. 

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I know about that, It's a big part of a subculture, but it's not the practice of vast numbers of people. But those aren't the people being considered here, because they are already doing it. It's the people being told not to come into the office and work from home instead during this pandemic. Those people will mostly work at home. So the transmission pattern won't be influenced by a whole bunch of people suddenly working in cafes.

But people aren't working in cafes just because. Its by elimination. It's because for whatever reason they can't or prefer not to work from home and a cafe offers space and food. Libraries have limited space and you can't eat there. Where else would you go? 

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I came home driving along the Main Street instead of taking side streets, just to see how many people were out and about. The street had lots of young people walking along, and all the bars looked full. I guess the attitude of the young is still ‘it’s not going to hurt us, so party on!’

They're kinda like the people welcoming the arrival of the aliens in Independence Day. 

Just heard a new poll says 60% of Americans think the worst has not yet come. It begs the question, what do the other 40% think? Are they just tuned out, or do they think it’s fake news?

And just recently we were discussing the fact that many people live from pay cheque to pay cheque. How are these people going to pay rent and utilities, credit card bills, car payments, mortgage payments etc etc if everything gets shut down? Will landlords evict tenants? You know some will.

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

And just recently we were discussing the fact that many people live from pay cheque to pay cheque. How are these people going to pay rent and utilities, credit card bills, car payments, mortgage payments etc etc if everything gets shut down? Will landlords evict tenants? You know some will.

Some countries are taking different measures. In some, they are asking or ordering banks to suspend mortgage payments for 2-3 months, asking companies not to issue bills for 2-3 months etc. Apple have said they won't charge for the use of its services for a month. Online companies are giving away services they normall pay for for free.

Private rental agreements are going to be killer though, but if the problem becomes widespread it may not be practical for landlords to evict tenants en masse. If the tenant is also suffering from the illness, they can just cough at the landlord to keep them away from the property. But for landlords who do rely on that income, it could also be a problem.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Some countries are taking different measures. In some, they are asking or ordering banks to suspend mortgage payments for 2-3 months, asking companies not to issue bills for 2-3 months etc. Apple have said they won't charge for the use of its services for a month. Online companies are giving away services they normall pay for for free.

Private rental agreements are going to be killer though, but if the problem becomes widespread it may not be practical for landlords to evict tenants en masse. If the tenant is also suffering from the illness, they can just cough at the landlord to keep them away from the property. But for landlords who do rely on that income, it could also be a problem.

If I dont get rent for 3 months I will start to really feel it. 

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why not Poland as well?

Because there is the situation less dangerous? 

I am not sure why they didn't close to borders with Belgium. It will be there the Belgian people will go to the restaurant now the Netherlands will also close their bars and shops.

Our ministers and authorities are really begging people not to hold parties, ... 

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

They're kinda like the people welcoming the arrival of the aliens in Independence Day. 

I’m watching CNN and all the Americans were saying they saw restaurants and bars were crowded last night as well. That’s exactly how the virus is going to spread.

It was also pointed out that 300 ICU patients in France are younger than 50.

I also heard in the radio that they want to prevent stockpiling by non Germans in the area which border to these countries. According to my local newspaper there were shortages in these areas. I live near the border to Switzerland and even in "normal" times there are a lot of Swiss which go grocery shopping in Germany because of the lower prizes. And this was now intensified.

Archived