Sign in to follow this  
Which Tyler

COVID19/4 Keep calm and wash your hands

Exclusive to t and his cronies!

If anyone wonders why nothing is going on here in the US to fight this, get masks, tests, etc., this is why -- wait until he's assured HE's going to get an obscene profit. Talk about government run like a biz -- the mafia biz too, by golly!  This story is breaking everywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

The Trump administration has offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive access to a Covid-19 vaccine, German media have reported.

The German government is trying to fight off what it sees as an aggressive takeover bid by the US, the broadsheet Die Welt reports, citing German government circles.

The US president had offered the Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac “large sums of money” to gain exclusive access to their work, wrote Die Welt.....

So Austria is approaching full lockdown mode. Deaths are few so far(2) and maybe it is not too late to prevent an overload of the health care system like in Italy.

Posted (edited)

I've been having a heavy cold or flu or, well, whtaever these days. I feel like it's getting better already. No fever, I think. I'm more of an introvert, so 'Social Isolation' is not hard for me. Working from home. Living single though, plus have a dog who steadfastly refuses to be walked by anyone else, so shopping (supermarket is next door) and dogwalking is a must. Luckily we hd our vet appointment for vaccs and stuff 2 weeks ago.

Our government sucks at this. Not Trump dimensions of suck of course, but still.One long press conference a day, for weeks now, nd basically "DON'T PANIC'. No testing of people returning from Italy, for example. NOW they're closing borders and schools... Gee thanks.  

All the best to @Ser Scot A Ellison from me, too! And to everyone of course, particularly those in high-risk areas and countries.

ETA: Here's a much-needed laugh: A week or so ago, a huge anti-vaxxer rally in Munich was cancelled. Because of the corona virus.

Edited by Mindwalker

7 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I've been having a heavy cold or flu or, well, whtaever these days. I feel like it's getting better already. No fever, I think. I'm more of an introvert, so 'Social Isolation' is not hard for me. Working from home. Living single though, plus have a dog who steadfastly refuses to be walked by anyone else, so shopping (supermarket is next door) and dogwalking is a must. Luckily we hd our vet appointment for vaccs and stuff 2 weeks ago.

Our government sucks at this. Not Trump dimensions of suck of course, but still.One long press conference a day, for weeks now, nd basically "DON'T PANIC'. No testing of people returning from Italy, for example. NOW they're closing borders and schools... Gee thanks.  

All the best to @Ser Scot A Ellison from me, too! And to everyone of course, particularly those in high-risk areas and countries.

ETA: Here's a much-needed laugh: A week or so ago, a huge anti-vaxxer rally in Munich was cancelled. Because of the corona virus.

Thank you.

I saw rumors of this going around yesterday, and now there's proper news articles about it. French health authorities are claiming that anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can aggravate COVID-19 if you've got it and that people should take pain relievers that use acetaminophen instead.

I'm not sure if they've data to back it up, and I haven't seen any other country's health authorities make similar statements, but its worth keeping mind.

Posted (edited)

SA president has declared a national state of disaster. Says that the number of cases has risen to 61 and there is now local transmission as well. The following measures are now in place:

Limited contact with persons who may be infected.

Travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries such as Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, the United States, the United Kingdom and China as from 18 March 2020. 

Visas from those countries cancelled from today and previously granted visas are now revoked.

South Africans returning from high-risk countries will be subjected to testing and self-quarantine.

Travellers from medium-risk countries – such as Portugal, Hong Kong and Singapore – will be required to undergo high intensity screening.

Gatherings of more than 100 people are now prohibited.

Schools will be closed from Wednesday until after the Easter weekend. 

Visits to all correctional facilities cancelled for the next 30 days.

All non-essential travel for all spheres of government outside of the country is prohibited. 

We further discourage all non-essential domestic travel, particularly by air, rail, taxis and bus. 

Strengthened surveillance, screening and testing measures at OR Tambo, Cape Town and King Shaka International Airports 

35 of the 53 land entry points and 2 out of the 8 sea ports will be closed.

Edited by Consigliere

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Fez said:

I saw rumors of this going around yesterday, and now there's proper news articles about it. French health authorities are claiming that anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can aggravate COVID-19 if you've got it and that people should take pain relievers that use acetaminophen instead.

I'm not sure if they've data to back it up, and I haven't seen any other country's health authorities make similar statements, but its worth keeping mind.

Fez, Werthead posted it and a bunch of people then said it has been refuted as a misinterpretation, of language I think. It’s actually supposed to help.

eta: apparently a lot of serious cases are aggravated by inflammation, and ibuprofen alleviates inflammation.

The original article appeared in The Lancet and the French apparently misinterpreted it.

The makers of Advil must be freaking out.

Edited by Fragile Bird

Wow, Belgium has a government!!!!! Or rather we will give the current government without a minority (with additional ministers???) a special mandate to take all measures necessary to combat current crisis... 

7 hours ago, sologdin said:

what an asshole.  lynch mobs may form.

Makes me think of Boccaccio's Decameron.

very fitting, agreed.  i had to explain this text to philistines at work this week.

Michigan Govenor coming for the hoarders and price gougers.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has issued an executive order on March 15 to impose price controls on stores and individuals between March 16 and April 13. Merchants will be prohibited, the order said, from selling “any product” at a price 20% or more above the March 9 price.1 hour ago

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Fez, Werthead posted it and a bunch of people then said it has been refuted as a misinterpretation, of language I think. It’s actually supposed to help.

eta: apparently a lot of serious cases are aggravated by inflammation, and ibuprofen alleviates inflammation.

The original article appeared in The Lancet and the French apparently misinterpreted it.

Nope, the study is French and was ordered in 2018 after a few cases received a lot of media attention. Haven't found a reference to The Lancet anywhere, the study was officially performed by the national agency of medicine (ANSM).

There's an article in English here: https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2019-12-17---aspirin--paracetamol-and-ibuprofen-relegated-behind-the-counter-of-pharmacies---france-24-.Bkel0-v8Ar.html

2 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I tried to link the lancet article but it doesn’t seem to work. Here’s the article in die Welt that links to it. 

https://www.welt.de/wissenschaft/article206555049/Ibuprofen-und-Corona-Ist-das-Schmerzmittel-gefaehrlich-fuer-Infizierte.html

Ah, I heard about this a week ago -- someone pointed out that ACE2 receptors seemed to be an issue that led to increased mortality, with the person noting that smokers have more of them than non-smokers. I didn't realize ibuprofren might have an effect.

Will buy some paracematol-based pills when I've a chance.

5 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Nope, the study is French and was ordered in 2018 after a few cases received a lot of media attention. Haven't found a reference to The Lancet anywhere, the study was officially performed by the national agency of medicine (ANSM).

There's an article in English here: https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2019-12-17---aspirin--paracetamol-and-ibuprofen-relegated-behind-the-counter-of-pharmacies---france-24-.Bkel0-v8Ar.html

Refutation after refutation -- the solution is to switch to a tiny part of THC to a large part CBD.

~~~~~~

There's a supermarket in Belfast, They Say on Twitter, which is limiting its opening hour of shopping to elderly only. Which, you know, after cleaning the store, and then opening, is intelligent, community thinking.

The one thing we here won't be doing, I think, is run out of food.  The trick will be, maybe, getting it.  Right now the supermarkets here are filled with untouched section after section of fresh produce, vegetables and fruits, and nobody's buying the stuff.  Buy it and eat it now -- save your non-perishables until later, if you need them.

Gov. Cuomo is telling CNN that the entire state has 600 ICU beds and 60 are already filled. They will not be able to cope with what he expects to be a huge number of cases and he wants the Army Corps of Engineers to start to modify available space into hospital beds right now because it’s going to take time.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ran said:

Ah, I heard about this a week ago -- someone pointed out that ACE2 receptors seemed to be an issue that led to increased mortality, with the person noting that smokers have more of them than non-smokers. I didn't realize ibuprofren might have an effect.

Will buy some paracematol-based pills when I've a chance.

to clarify, the Welt article states the lancet study is merely a hypothesis, the sample was too small to reach any conclusions and also ibuprofen is not a ACE inhibitor.

from google translate ;) 

So the ibuprofen hypothesis is very shaky. It is not enough to draw a clear conclusion. It was not tested at the cell level whether ibuprofen - via whatever mechanism - leads to the fact that the virus can penetrate the cells more easily.”

Edited by Filippa Eilhart

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just heard a new poll says 60% of Americans think the worst has not yet come. It begs the question, what do the other 40% think? Are they just tuned out, or do they think it’s fake news?

And just recently we were discussing the fact that many people live from pay cheque to pay cheque. How are these people going to pay rent and utilities, credit card bills, car payments, mortgage payments etc etc if everything gets shut down? Will landlords evict tenants? You know some will.

Well, as with any poll I'd suspect around 5% claimed "don't know" and another 2% or so simply didn't understand the question.  I suspect the other 33% do think it's all some media hype conspiracy, either to "get Trump" or just to raise ratings.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sorry, have no idea why that double posted.

Edited by Ormond

21 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

to clarify, the Welt article states the lancet study is merely a hypothesis, the sample was too small to reach any conclusions and also ibuprofen is not a ACE inhibitor.

from google translate ;) 

So the ibuprofen hypothesis is very shaky. It is not enough to draw a clear conclusion. It was not tested at the cell level whether ibuprofen - via whatever mechanism - leads to the fact that the virus can penetrate the cells more easily.”

Y’all will take my OTC Ibuprofen from my cold dead fingers.  It is my headache medicine of choice because it works well.

22 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

ibuprofen is not a ACE inhibitor.

It is not an ACE inhibitor, but it does increase expression of ACE2, which is hypothesized to be a vector for the virus.

I don't know what evidence the French ministry used to make their own statement -- have they responded to queries?