Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise and Fitness: You Can't Cancel Training

Probably due another thread. 

Looking at the first page of the last thread, it is a bit annoying that I am much less fit than last June. I've only had a few weeks off running in that time. However, I'm getting back there. 

70 minutes run today, nice and steady at 5:10/km which comes out to about 8.4 miles/13.5km. Just bought a new pair of shoes too so I'm looking forward to testing those out this week.

Post your fitness stories, questions, rants, achievements, etc. 

I’m clear of my cold virus but my wife persuaded me to wait just a bit longer before exercising.  Just to make sure I allow my immune system to get back to full strength.

Next I have to decide if it’s worth the risk of going back to our local Equinox.  I go at their off-peak hours, but there’s still a risk of contagion.

41 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Next I have to decide if it’s worth the risk of going back to our local Equinox.  I go at their off-peak hours, but there’s still a risk of contagion.

I’d probably get something you can wipe the equipment down with before/after you use it. Other than that I don’t see why it would be any worse than any other time you’re going out in public, especially if you’re going at a quiet time. :dunno:

Whether you actually want to go or not probably depends on how much you’re planning on isolating yourself in general.

We had our local annual race cancelled - I was signed up for the 15K, $58 fee that will roll over into next year.  I went out and did a solo run this morning, 15K in 79 min, 14 sec, which is a PR (this is the longest run I’ve ever done, so easy to set a record).  It was a bit anticlimactic, with several months of training/prep, but it felt really good to do.

I was going to use this as a gauge of if I wanted to attempt a half marathon or train for a 30k for next year - so I am still on the fence about it.  Half of the fun was training/talking smack with people.

I went to the gym on Friday and my friends were all shocked at my risky behavior. Tomorrow is a weights day again for me and debating if I should go to the gym or not. I don't have any weights at home, although I do have a few resistance bands, so trying to get a strength exercise in at home is not great at all. And I usually go to the gym not at peak, although it is still always a little busy. The undergrads are mostly gone now, so maybe it'll be even less busy. If I wash my hands before and after and wipe down equipment, I think it's probably fine, but things are getting so weird around here that it's hard to know if that's a really crazy decision or not. I'm already working from home and social distancing, so the gym and grocery store would be my only potential contacts.

At least running is still okay. I've been running slow AF lately, but still keeping up the mileage (3x per week, getting in about 20-25 miles) so I think that's good. I'm planning to do a 10k and a half this summer, so I want to have a good base to start a training plan from. I'd like to break 2 hours for the half. I've done it before, but that was a couple years ago before my long break with the heel injuries, so I'm not sure how in reach it is. That's a 9:09 min/mi pace and that feels hard right now when I try to get that on my pace runs.

Posted (edited)

Just anecdotally I went to the gym Wednesday night and wondered if it'd be slower.  It's a gym that is very crowded on week nights right around this rush hour window that I tend to go, and it was just as crowded as usual that night.  I feel like in the US at least there was a real shift starting Thursday/Friday and into today, so I wonder how much that could have changed already.  

I wonder now if I was a fool for going.  This gym is much less crowded in weekend mornings, but I didn't go this weekend.  I think I'll play it by ear in the coming days.  

Edited by Triskele

I peeked my head in at the company gym Thursday at 8am and did 30 min of cardio.  Last week, would have been  10+ people, side by side on treadmills, weight benches, bikes and ellipticals.  There was one other person and we did the nod, and stayed 3 machines away from each other - our wipe down techniques were perfect.

I feel like as long as you could cap the capacity and maintain distance and sanitation, it would be fine.

For the last year or so wife and I have been doing F45 (pretty much HIIT classes that alternate between cardio and resistance) as well as going to a personal trainer once per week which is where I will do my heavy weights.  

My last day at F45 was Monday.  I sweat like a motherfucker in there, and everyone else does too.  The workouts are also based on moving between stations rapidly and there’s just no time to be as careful about avoiding contact with surfaces that other humans have touched (or accidentally touching their sweat).  Coincidentally my membership was up for renewal this weekend so I didn’t really waste too much money or anything by not going.  Ill re-up when all of this blows over.  

I think Trisk is correct that it was really Thursday/ Friday when people started taking this seriously.  Last couple of days I’ve seen a lot of F45 Instagram posts about about the precautions they are taking, so I’m guessing class sizes have dwindled rapidly.

11 hours ago, Starkess said:

At least running is still okay. I've been running slow AF lately, but still keeping up the mileage (3x per week, getting in about 20-25 miles) so I think that's good. 

Same here, I try to maintain a 3 runs per week routine and reaching 35-40 km per week. Was supposed to run a half-marathon at the end of May (hoping to break 1:50) and it wasn't officially cancelled as of yet, but I doubt it will take place as planned, the country is in lockdown mode and doesn't seem it would change anytime soon.

As @3CityApache predicted, the half-marathon I thought about running won't take place end of April. Due to the state of emergency that was declared yesterday, all sport venues have been closed, including my crossfit box and my weekly basketball game. I think I have no more options than going running, at least until they ban that, too. After that, I guess I'll have to find some yoga classes online and do that, since I wouldn't want to inconvenience my neighbours downstairs by doing anything that would include jumping or things like that.

I picked up a pair of 30lb dumbbells on a whim from a neighbors garage sale a few months ago.  I’ve barely used them because I strongly prefer the gym environment.  There’s also tons of HIIT workout vids, ab routines, etc, on YouTube so thinking I can put together some pretty effective home workouts to avoid becoming a soft turd over the next few weeks.  I really hate running, so that’s a last resort.  But I am planning a bike excursion at some point.  Seems safe enough if it’s just my wife and I.

The RFU has suspended all rugby activity in England in light of the updated government advice in the UK. I suspect that's my rugby season done then so I'm probably stuck just running for the next few months. :frown5:

I picked up the Switch Ring Fit back before the holidays, and I'm glad I did since apparently they are almost impossible to find now. It's primarily resistance training and stretches (plus a whole lot of squats or jogging in place); but it's nice to have a specific exercise regime I can do at home right now.

On 3/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, ljkeane said:

I’d probably get something you can wipe the equipment down with before/after you use it. Other than that I don’t see why it would be any worse than any other time you’re going out in public, especially if you’re going at a quiet time. :dunno:

Whether you actually want to go or not probably depends on how much you’re planning on isolating yourself in general.

The local gym is now closed by local ordinance.  There was a jump in cases in our town today, so now the town is closing restaurants, bars, gyms and non-essential retail.  I think it’s just grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations that will remain open. 

I am very much considering buying a basic set of free weights for home for when the gym shuts down.

16 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Perks of running a gym. No closing!

Luke - Why did you not intuit through the internet years ago that I was doing straight-legged deadlifts while the Romanian deadlift existed in all its glory and instruct me on my folly?  

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

Luke - Why did you not intuit through the internet years ago that I was doing straight-legged deadlifts while the Romanian deadlift existed in all its glory and instruct me on my folly?  

Because the greatest pleasure in life is watching other people fuck up. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Because the greatest pleasure in life is watching other people fuck up. 

It's not crushing your enemies, see them driven before you and hear lamentations of their women? :blink: Live and learn, I guess.

Went running again this morning. Fewer people by the river than there were yesterday, so that was pleasant. Running itself was ok. Still boring, but otherwise ok. If this quarantine lasts a while I'm going to significantly improve my cardio and lose some belly fat so clouds and silver linings, I guess.