Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise and Fitness: You Can't Cancel Training

5 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Nope. July 4th earliest possible date being talked about but I'd be surprised if we're allowed to open before August.

Very little info being given to the fitness industry in the UK outside of go fuck yourself.

Interesting. Some are opening here now.

I guess like you said before though your gym is actually a lot more manageable than most to clean.

And maybe you can even design some strongman masks with weights on them. No mercy!!!!!!!!! 

Tired and sore. 

Woke up this morning feeling much more sore than yesterday after a heavy day on Sunday. I can really feel it it in my hands. It's hot as fuck today so I was really contemplating just putting off my run until tomorrow (when it's due to be even hotter, but nevermind that). However, I eventually managed to get myself out. 

Today was my 40th consecutive day of yoga. I have progressed a bit in that time, but my hamstrings are still super tight so some poses are pretty poor fascimiles of the real thing. Also, I feel like I've built up some cumulative fatigue that's hard to work off, this isn't really a problem as most positions are either doable or impossible anyway, but I've also found myself collapsing more from moves that I usually wouldn't have trouble holding.

If I can just crack down on my diet a bit more, I think I'll notice some faster changes to my body. Finally remove that persistent hip fat.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I've popped my rib cartilage before. It hurt like bastard and I think it lasted about 4 ish weeks. It didn't have any effect on my arm though and I can't think why it would. It was one of the lower ribs though I suppose.

Unless by upper rib cage you mean your sc joint? That also hurts like a bastard and when I strained that I did get weakness in my arm. It was noticeable straight away though. If you do that badly enough it can need surgery to fix but I think it's fairly unlikely your doctor would miss that.

Yeah, the tear was on my right, posterior of my ribcage, anterior to my scapula. It did indeed hurt like a bastard, and I thought I'd actually torn my rotator cuff at first. 

I'm pretty sure it's not my sc joint. I noticed the weakness and then arm pain about a week ago after the pain from the cartilage tear subsided (that seriously hurt like a bastard), so I wasn't sure if I'm getting referred pain from the tear, or if I have a compressed nerve somewhere between my neck and shoulder. I suppose it's likely I had two separate injuries with the 2nd obscured by the pain of the tear. Guess it's another trip to the ortho doc. Thanks!

Edited by The Great Unwashed
Spelling

22 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm pretty sure it's not my sc joint. I noticed the weakness and then arm pain about a week ago after the pain from the cartilage tear subsided (that seriously hurt like a bastard), so I wasn't sure if I'm getting referred pain from the tear, or if I have a compressed nerve somewhere between my neck and shoulder. I suppose it's likely I had two separate injuries with the 2nd obscured by the pain of the tear. Guess it's another trip to the ortho doc. Thanks!

I'm not a doctor and you should definitely get an opinion from someone more qualified than me but I'd guess you've probably been sleeping in various awkward positions because of the pain in your ribs. I'd think there's a decent chance it's something related to that.

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm not a doctor and you should definitely get an opinion from someone more qualified than me but I'd guess you've probably been sleeping in various awkward positions because of the pain in your ribs. I'd think there's a decent chance it's something related to that.

Here's hoping!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Leap said:

Tired and sore. 

Woke up this morning feeling much more sore than yesterday after a heavy day on Sunday. I can really feel it it in my hands. It's hot as fuck today so I was really contemplating just putting off my run until tomorrow (when it's due to be even hotter, but nevermind that). However, I eventually managed to get myself out. 

Today was my 40th consecutive day of yoga. I have progressed a bit in that time, but my hamstrings are still super tight so some poses are pretty poor fascimiles of the real thing. Also, I feel like I've built up some cumulative fatigue that's hard to work off, this isn't really a problem as most positions are either doable or impossible anyway, but I've also found myself collapsing more from moves that I usually wouldn't have trouble holding.

If I can just crack down on my diet a bit more, I think I'll notice some faster changes to my body. Finally remove that persistent hip fat.

First, very nice.

Second did you complete the series I linked, and what did you try afterwards if you did? I've been stuck doing the same few videos, and kind of miss the challenge of completing a series. 

But the sun is finally out, all these days of rain are finished. After I mow and walk the dog, I think I can finally go for a bike ride. 

ETA: Yeah getting into yoga really exposed how tight my hamstrings are too. They still burn at times long after a session, even if it was just 30 minutes. Dead lifting burns less, but I'm not even lifting half of what I once could.  

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

First, very nice.

Second did you complete the series I linked, and what did you try afterwards if you did? I've been stuck doing the same few videos, and kind of miss the challenge of completing a series. 

But the sun is finally out, all these days of rain are finished. After I mow and walk the dog, I think I can finally go for a bike ride. 

ETA: Yeah getting into yoga really exposed how tight my hamstrings are too. They still burn at times long after a session, even if it was just 30 minutes. Dead lifting burns less, but I'm not even lifting half of what I once could.  

Thanks - yes, it took me 31 days in the end (I didn't miss a day, I just repeated an abs-only day when I hurt my calf about two weeks in). The new series I am doing is this. 

I started this because I was looking for something more intense than Yoga with Adriene videos typically are, but didn't feel I could direct my own progression yet. I've got to say it's been kicking my arse so far. Still clinging on 10 days later though...only 13 weeks to go. 

53 minutes ago, Leap said:

Thanks - yes, it took me 31 days in the end (I didn't miss a day, I just repeated an abs-only day when I hurt my calf about two weeks in). The new series I am doing is this. 

I started this because I was looking for something more intense than Yoga with Adriene videos typically are, but didn't feel I could direct my own progression yet. I've got to say it's been kicking my arse so far. Still clinging on 10 days later though...only 13 weeks to go. 

Appreciate the link. I will try this later today. The dog and I went out a bit longer than I expected and I did the mowing right after.I need a little break.

Is it really that much harder? The videos seem a little longer, but I really liked the balance of her series. 90 days seems like a real challenge. 

Went running last night to my office building and back and the round trip was a bit under 8km. I decided to push it a bit and go a bit faster. It's still nothing impressive, but it's my first run with average pace below 5min/km in a while.

20 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Heh, I'm actually surprised you ever get that cold. I can't remember we actually had -20ºC or -25ºC in the last couple of years. In the last two winters we barely even had any snow at all.

Don't get me wrong, 20-25ºC below zero does not happen every winter. It's once every 3-4 years or so and it doesn't last that long.

We do get daily maximum temperatures around -10ºC throughout January almost every year, though.

Last winter was very mild here as well, with no snow worth mentioning in Belgrade.

Man, the only thing I ate today was a disgusting meal I got from Burger King, and I gave most of it away to my roommates and my dog.

This whole stop trying to be an alcoholic thing is not much fun. And when you have a drink to make your stomach feel better it's like you chugged the whole bottle. It's made worse by also trying to quit smoking weed.

Oh well. It's better to try and fail than not try at all.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, lessthanluke said:

Rest has never helped with any tendonitis issues I've had.

My sports rehab guy actively promotes not resting, you need to find the exact issues and work on certain exercises that are going to fix it. Obviously pretty hard at the moment though with physios etc not being able to work.

For elbow tendonitis I always found super high rep very light DB Hammer curls helped.

This was really helpful, thanks. 

On 5/19/2020 at 3:22 PM, Leap said:

Tired and sore. 

Reaching back to my gymnastics days but this may be in part due to your running. Iirc there is something about running and having tight hamstrings. I should have paid more attention

My power rack arrived but I need the floor mats to arrive too before I can assemble it.  I can’t even order a barbell or bench yet though. 

I’m still playing some garden soccer with my son most days.  He’s getting better. 

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Reaching back to my gymnastics days but this may be in part due to your running. Iirc there is something about running and having tight hamstrings. I should have paid more attention

That sounds very likely to me, thanks! Running is the only exercise I've done for years (aside from mental gymnastics), I've never stretched (hindsight in 2020), and my hamstrings are the one area that I'm just ludicrously bad at, way below what seems to be expected of beginners. When sat with my legs straight out in front of me, I cannot fold foward/bend more than a few inches, and that's mostly my back curving.

Speaking of running, I am really bad at it since getting into yoga. I assumed that was due to general fatigue + temperatures rising, but now I'm wondering if it's specifically related to my hamstrings. :dunno:

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

My power rack arrived but I need the floor mats to arrive too before I can assemble it.  I can’t even order a barbell or bench yet though. 

I’m still playing some garden soccer with my son most days.  He’s getting better. 

This feel like when Pompey didn't get his white horse.

Also, I hope you're destroying him. You're a bad father if not. :P

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This feel like when Pompey didn't get his white horse.

Also, I hope you're destroying him. You're a bad father if not. :P

I can just picture you playing American football with a crowd of ten year olds — full contact.

My son wants to play on a soccer team at school this Fall, but he hasn’t played much since Li’l Kickers aged 5-7.  So we’re just working on his balance, ball control and kicking technique.  And shuttle runs to build stamina.  Soccer newbies are just so uncoordinated.

9 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I can just picture you playing American football with a crowd of ten year olds — full contact.

My son wants to play on a soccer team at school this Fall, but he hasn’t played much since Li’l Kickers aged 5-7.  So we’re just working on his balance, ball control and kicking technique.  And shuttle runs to build stamina.  Soccer newbies are just so uncoordinated.

No, that's just cruel. But when it comes to basketball, yup. That's how you coach kids up. I came up the same way, and when you'd show some fight, the coach knew they had something to work with. Soccer seems similar, at least from my experiences. 

Teach him martial arts. Everything he needs from a basic standpoint can be learned there. Balance. Precision. Conditioning. Strength. The ability to fight through pain. You have the means to pay for it, and I'd highly suggest it for the boy. I firmly believe it's the key that unlocks everything else.

It's why I've been really getting into yoga. High kicks are a bitch when you get older.

49 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Huh, it must be a bit weird that. I think we must have played football 5 or 6 days a week the entire time I was in school. Starting from scratch must feel a bit strange. I suppose that's the sporting environment in the US.

15 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Huh, it must be a bit weird that. I think we must have played football 5 or 6 days a week the entire time I was in school. Starting from scratch must feel a bit strange. I suppose that's the sporting environment in the US.

We would turn up 30 mins early and play before school. Play at break and lunchtime. Play 5 a side 2 times a week. Play for school team midweek and on Saturday. Play for town team once a week. Play on sunday for club team and Also train during week. I also played basketball, tennis, cross country/athletics, hockey at different times during year. I'm not surprised my knees and ankles are made of glass. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

We would turn up 30 mins early and play before school. Play at break and lunchtime. Play 5 a side 2 times a week. Play for school team midweek and on Saturday. Play for town team once a week. Play on sunday for club team and Also train during week. I also played basketball, tennis, cross country/athletics, hockey at different times during year. I'm not surprised my knees and ankles are made of glass. 

I was never that into football but, yeah, we used to play every break in school, a few times after school and at weekends and I was in a Sunday team for a while. I actually cared about rugby more but that's just kind of what you did. Lads who actually really liked their football used to play more.

I actually didn't play at all for years after doing my acl for the first time but I played a bit just messing around over the last year. I was never particularly good but I'm so much worse now.