Brandon, companions and Rickard Stark sent to wall

Mrstrategy

Brandon should be executed.  He publicly threatened Rhaegar.  Brandon had to die. Tywin, Doran, Stannis, and most any lord would kill a man who came into his home and made threats.  He could have ordered Rickard to the wall but I doubt the man would have obeyed.  Trouble would come from the Starks over Brandon's execution.  Aerys and Varys should have found a plan to kill off Brandon, Rickard, Ned, Robert, and Stannis at the same time.  Harrenhall would have been the opportune time. 

King Aerys had no precedence to send Rickard Stark to the Wall without any offences committed. It's possible that Brandon and his companions could be punished with the Wall for threats of assault against the Crown Prince, but the Great Houses would object to that kind of arbitrary sentencing. That's an Heir to one of the most powerful houses in the Seven Kingdoms, and the others will notice that kind of disrespect. If King Aerys can do that against the Starks, he might do it against the Tully's next, or the Baratheons. People wouldn't be happy with that at all.

Whether the rebellion happens anyway, well, certainly Rickard Stark wouldn't like this and he might declare independence and fortify Moat Cailin. When Eddard began the rebellion, he had the support of House Arryn and he had House Baratheon as an ally. Rickard wouldn't have that kind of confidence, so he might just go and declare independence if John Arryn and Robert Baratheon and Hoster Tully do nothing. But given that Robert Baratheon's betrothed had disappeared, and given that Hoster Tully's daughter was engaged to the heir of Winterfell who just got sent to the Wall without trial. I think the rebellion would still have happened, but they might have had less support. But on the other hand, Rickard would be an experienced warrior, and if they can liberate Brandon before he gets to the Wall, that means the heir and most powerful fighter of House Stark is also joining the fight. I'd honestly love to see how that plays out. 

What Aerys did to Brandon and Rickard are fine.  He went wrong with Jon Arryn.  He should have found a better way to deal with Eddard and Robert.  I would have quietly executed Brandon and Rickard.  But not before asking Rickard to summon Eddard to King's Landing.  Ambush and kill Eddard on the road.   

On 3/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, Bowen 747 said:

What Aerys did to Brandon and Rickard are fine.  He went wrong with Jon Arryn.  He should have found a better way to deal with Eddard and Robert.  I would have quietly executed Brandon and Rickard.  But not before asking Rickard to summon Eddard to King's Landing.  Ambush and kill Eddard on the road.   

What did Rickard do to earn execution?

On 3/18/2020 at 10:24 PM, Canon Claude said:

King Aerys had no precedence to send Rickard Stark to the Wall without any offences committed. It's possible that Brandon and his companions could be punished with the Wall for threats of assault against the Crown Prince, but the Great Houses would object to that kind of arbitrary sentencing. That's an Heir to one of the most powerful houses in the Seven Kingdoms, and the others will notice that kind of disrespect. If King Aerys can do that against the Starks, he might do it against the Tully's next, or the Baratheons. People wouldn't be happy with that at all.

Whether the rebellion happens anyway, well, certainly Rickard Stark wouldn't like this and he might declare independence and fortify Moat Cailin. When Eddard began the rebellion, he had the support of House Arryn and he had House Baratheon as an ally. Rickard wouldn't have that kind of confidence, so he might just go and declare independence if John Arryn and Robert Baratheon and Hoster Tully do nothing. But given that Robert Baratheon's betrothed had disappeared, and given that Hoster Tully's daughter was engaged to the heir of Winterfell who just got sent to the Wall without trial. I think the rebellion would still have happened, but they might have had less support. But on the other hand, Rickard would be an experienced warrior, and if they can liberate Brandon before he gets to the Wall, that means the heir and most powerful fighter of House Stark is also joining the fight. I'd honestly love to see how that plays out. 

ASOIAF is heavily Stark POV'ed. We forget that Jon Arryn's heir was killed right along with Brandon and Rickard. We are also told that the fathers of everyone who went with Brandon were summoned to King's Landing. That would have likely included Jon Arryn, he simply choose not to go. 

So we are talking about the heirs to 2 great houses ,Stark and Arryn as well as members of House Royce, Mallister and Glover,(not killed)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 3:56 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

No it wouldn't be. Harrenhal happened before Brandon's and Rickard's executions.

That's what I meant.  Kill Brandon and Rickard Stark during the tourney since they were already suspected of plotting against the king. 

19 minutes ago, Mon ami said:

That's what I meant.  Kill Brandon and Rickard Stark during the tourney since they were already suspected of plotting against the king. 

Rickard wasn't there. And what would be the evidence?? Otherwise you are again on square one. Robellion.

Archived