US Politics: Testing, Testing, T... Te.. Testing

Tywin Manderly

So I didn't watch the debate last night - trust me, Westworld's dystopia was much more pleasing to the eye.  But from the clips and coverage I've looked at, sounds like the definition of a low-impact debate.  And that's before the fact it's gonna get drowned out by corona.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

So I didn't watch the debate last night - trust me, Westworld's dystopia was much more pleasing to the eye.  But from the clips and coverage I've looked at, sounds like the definition of a low-impact debate.  And that's before the fact it's gonna get drowned out by corona.

Yeah I watched just a few minutes and it seemed like a very dull affair.  Two old men arguing about policy details that most Americans don't care about anyway. 

Given what we know about the severity of this pandemic, there's definitely a part of me that hopes that the 4 states vote decisively for Biden and we can stop worrying about the primary for a few months. 

43 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Dow plunges 2200 points in ~ 2 minutes, tripping the 15 minute circuitbreaker.  That's not a good start to the week. 

But I saw an all-caps message from the President of the USA on Friday, saying everything was better!

He also mailed it to his supporters!

Are you saying he's not to be trusted?

No, the S&P 500 is not down to the low of the almost-correction we had in 2018. That was 2403, we’re at 2450 now. The 2017 low was 2257.

We look at the S&P because it’s a broader snapshot of the markets, with 500 stocks. 

When the market is going down, the important technical mark is the low point, not the high or the average.

The 2018 Dow low was 21,792, which the Dow has gone through. The Dow is at 20,810 right now.

The 2017 low was 19,732.

Eta: it’s astonishing that just a bit more than a month ago all the markets hit new highs. The Dow was pushing 39,000. That’s 30,000, I really need new glasses!

The problem with concluding that Clinton/Biden beat/will beat Trump in a debate is that you're judging it as a debate, but he's up there playing an entirely different game with a radically different scoring metric.

He's not up there looking to display superior knowledge, or to display fears of logic. He's up there to laugh to his base about what a weak cuck sleepy Joe is for even attempting to use logic and facts. It's all just a bunch of fake news anyway, blah blah something about claiming to have a big dick. That's what Trump debating is about.

I've got no idea how you approach it, but I think it as least in part comes down to personality types. Clinton's was terrible - far too serious and reserved to ridicule Trump within his own paradigm. Biden might actually be a good match up, he's got the attack dog style in his repertoire but I really don't know how it's going to work until they match up.

If Warren went after him like she did Bloomberg, and didn't have all the bullshit sexist double standards completely changing how she'd be perceived for doing it, I think she'd shred him. She might not have even taken that approach with him.

And it's not like winning the debate is irrelevant, there are still voters in the centre and left that need to be encouraged into turning out, but if you want the debate to depress his voter turn out then you need to try make his base think he looks weak. And I'm not sure anything can do that anymore, since his word is defining their reality.

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

And it's not like winning the debate is irrelevant, there are still voters in the centre and left that need to be encouraged into turning out, but if you want the debate to depress his voter turn out then you need to try make his base think he looks weak. And I'm not sure anything can do that anymore, since his word is defining their reality.

Tweeting empty reassurances and blame while hospitals get overwhelmed and thousands (tens of thousands? more?) of Americans are dying is going to be hard to spin as anything but weak.  This kind of outbreak makes even a well run government look powerless, and this administration is anything but. 

32 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

When the market is going down, the important technical mark is the low point, not the high or the average.

The 2018 Dow low was 21,792, which the Dow has gone through. The Dow is at 20,810 right now.

The 2017 low was 19,732.

For completeness, 2016 low was 15,660 (which was also lower than anything in 2015).

2014 was 15,373.

2013 was 13,329.

2012 was 12,101.

2011 was 10,655

2010 was 9,743

2009 was 6,547. That was the low of the GFC, and the lowest since the 1990s.

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Tweeting empty reassurances and blame while hospitals get overwhelmed and thousands (tens of thousands? more?) of Americans are dying is going to be hard to spin as anything but weak.  This kind of outbreak makes even a well run government look powerless, and this administration is anything but. 

It's not spin at this level, it's just a complete rejection is reality in favour of his narrative. And hopefully this is the limit of it.

26 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Does anyone think Trump will actually do a debate? Regardless of who the Democratic candidate is? Particularly after everything going on right now?

I'd say it depends on how much Trump can ignore the "he's afraid to debate" attacks from the Dem side if he tries to weasel out of them.

The House shouldn't have gone on recess this week. Now Louis Gohmert can (and is) singlehandedly hold up the technical correction package to the house bill (since unanimous consent is required to pass bills during recess); and the Senate is dithering around rather than passing the house bill as it currently exists.

I dashed out to the hospital pharmacy where my brother now gets all of his meds to get a new blood pressure medication prescription filled. I’ve used the local Walmart for years, but now I figure with both of us going to the same place we can back each other up. I asked for a different pill because the one I was using had a side effect of a dry cough. Damn prescient of me, lol! This happened 6 weeks ago but I decided to use up my current stuff, since I can’t even donate the unused quantity I have, even though the cough is annoying.

Anyway, I gather that while I was out the Dow dropped 2,800 points. The curb that comes after 7% is 13%, but that would be more than 3,014 points.  

Archived