US Politics: Testing, Testing, T... Te.. Testing

Tywin Manderly

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

So - shocker - Bloomberg is backtracking on his funding promise, instead he just transferred the $18 million left over from his campaign to the DNC and it sounds like...that'll be it:

Who woulda thought you can't count on billionaires?

To be fair, losing 15% of his net worth after spending nearly $1 billion of it before that may have given him second thoughts.

That said, I'm not terribly surprised. Guessing he figures Trump is toast without his involvement now, and he doesn't necessarily want to help a Democratic wave take over the Senate anymore than he has to.

Rep. Ben McAdams, D, Utah Is being interviewed on CNN right now, and he sounds damn sick. He’s 45. Feels like he has a tight belt around his chest, has trouble breathing and has a fever of 102. He’s at home. Sounds like he should be in hospital. His doctor is monitoring his condition.

40 minutes ago, Ran said:

To be fair, losing 15% of his net worth after spending nearly $1 billion of it before that may have given him second thoughts.

That said, I'm not terribly surprised. Guessing he figures Trump is toast without his involvement now, and he doesn't necessarily want to help a Democratic wave take over the Senate anymore than he has to.

I've been wondering how he can release some of his ad material to Biden. Most of Bloomberg's ads were just hit pieces on Trump followed by a picture of him and his voice saying he's running for president. A quick cut and paste job could switch that part to Biden, and those ads were really effective. I know there's some wonky campaign finance laws that make this a little difficult, but still, it would be worth looking into.

8 hours ago, Fez said:

To some extent I think they are trying to avoid a panic. When Italy locked down Lombardy, a whole lot of people fled the area that night before the restrictions went into place; and probably helped further spread the virus throughout the country.

That's precisely what I've heard Cuomo say on TV -- he thought if he issued a complete lockdown order it would cause a panic.

Excuse my french but FUUUUUCK!!!

We've now had our first confirmed case of community spread and it's in my region. We are a satellite commuter community for Wellington with thousands of people commuting by train in to Wellington daily. On Friday (yesterday) they started setting up tents for testing at a local sports ground, which would have been about the time this case would have been tested. That tells me the person is a commuter, and I am also a commuter. So There is a chance I've been exposed. I'm just waiting for the announcement that everyone who used this commuter service over the past 2 weeks needs to come in and get tested.

Man, my wife is an at risk person being asthmatic with a tendency for any respiratory infection to go to her chest and sometimes turn into bacterial bronchitis.

The Johns Hopkins page currently shows the total number of confirmed cases in the US as 18563 of which 8310 are in New York State. This sounds bad, but what it really means is that New York has finally started testing non-trivial numbers of people. The testing capacity is still 2-3 orders of magnitude off from where it needs to be, but combined with the recent orders from the governor, it appears that progress is being made.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Excuse my french but FUUUUUCK!!!

We've now had our first confirmed case of community spread and it's in my region. We are a satellite commuter community for Wellington with thousands of people commuting by train in to Wellington daily. On Friday (yesterday) they started setting up tents for testing at a local sports ground, which would have been about the time this case would have been tested. That tells me the person is a commuter, and I am also a commuter. So There is a chance I've been exposed. I'm just waiting for the announcement that everyone who used this commuter service over the past 2 weeks needs to come in and get tested.

Man, my wife is an at risk person being asthmatic with a tendency for any respiratory infection to go to her chest and sometimes turn into bacterial bronchitis.

Funny, how things flip.

Stay calm. I've been exposed daily through work for a few weeks. That hasn't bothered me at all. It's the emails, and the appearance of hiding things, some of which I overheard today (nothing that would affect any of you). And then the staff's complete inability to follow any of the spacing guidelines, management most of all. It's a joke and everyone is quietly complaining about it, and sadly doing so while whispering an inch apart from one another.

'Essential Service' here - which means I report to work until this mess ends, one way or another.

My job goes belly up, it (literally) means civilization has come to an end, which means its time for Jace to form her post apocalyptic band of nomads and decide on appropriate fashion for them.

12 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

My job goes belly up, it (literally) means civilization has come to an end, which means its time for Jace to form her post apocalyptic band of nomads and decide on appropriate fashion for them.

You have a plan to escape from that desolate wasteland known as Alaska and get to a more temperate area? 

Perhaps there is a fire-breathing evangelist out there somewhere about to preach that the US has brought this pestilence down upon itself by taking a snake unto it's breast, a viper who sinned and has not repented, one who has broken the commandments?

I can dream...

Just found out that the person infected in my area is a local council staffer so not a daily commuter to Wellington. A relief for me, but there will be a lot of council staff and their families worried right now. Probably a lot fewer people at direct risk, which is good. But bad news none the less that it is in this district now and likely cycling through the community to some extent.

36 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Perhaps there is a fire-breathing evangelist out there somewhere about to preach that the US has brought this pestilence down upon itself by taking a snake unto it's breast, a viper who sinned and has not repented, one who has broken the commandments?

I can dream...

What denomination are you again?

43 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You have a plan to escape from that desolate wasteland known as Alaska and get to a more temperate area? 

Alaska may be safer and saner than the 'lower 48.'  Grew up on a homestead at the edge of the road grid, picked up a bit of everything from gardening skills to carpentry to mechanics (now sadly outdated by the electronic's heavy newer rigs).  Plant more stuff in the greenhouse, maybe fiddle with some of this 'green energy' stuff.  

Excerpt from a newsletter sent out by my nominal bosses:

Postal and shipping workers are considered essential critical infrastructure workers under recent
guidance issued be the Department of Homeland Security. White House and CDC guidance has also
stated that such industries have a special responsibility to maintain normal work schedules
rest assured, we will deliver your junk mail with our dying breath...

22 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Alaska may be safer and saner than the 'lower 48.'  Grew up on a homestead at the edge of the road grid, picked up a bit of everything from gardening skills to carpentry to mechanics (now sadly outdated by the electronic's heavy newer rigs).  Plant more stuff in the greenhouse, maybe fiddle with some of this 'green energy' stuff.  

Meh. I'm going off of stereotypes.

I assume that in the apocalypse you'll be spending all summer chopping wood so you won't freeze to death in the winter.

18 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Not fair to start down that path but only do it for one person.  Go on.  

See, I'll have it easy in the apocalypse. Plenty of fish in the bayous, that I'll catch from my canoe. Yep, the easy life. 

Until the cannibals from West Virginia come eat me that is.

Why are there West Virginian cannibals this far south? I guess they already ate everyone north of here.

So mature, much presidential! 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/20/trump-coronavirus-question-attack-reporter-over-fears?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1584755763

Peter Alexander, White House correspondent at NBC News, asked the US president: “What do you say to Americans, who are watching you right now, who are scared?”

Erupting in anger, Trump unleashed a tirade: “I say that you’re a terrible reporter. That’s what I say. I think it’s a very nasty question and I think it’s a very bad signal that you’re putting out to the American people.”

Questions are hard y'know! 

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

He just loves using that word. "Nasty". 

......November is approaching, November is approaching, November is approaching.

fire-breathing evangelist out there somewhere about to preach that the US has brought this pestilence down upon itself by taking a snake unto it's breast, a viper who sinned and has not repented, one who has broken the commandments

falwell did not issue a jeremiad against trump but instead said it's a bioweapon from DPRK.  

Archived