US Politics: Testing, Testing, T... Te.. Testing

Tywin Manderly

Pelosi’s term expires without an election too, doesn’t it?

totally.  all the representatives would expire before inauguration.  but art. I empowers the respective state governors to fill vacancies. i suspect newsom will deliver her back to congress.  

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Nonsense, he's done such good for the studly young cabana boy population of South Florida.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-jerry-falwell-jr-miami-beach-pool-boy-evangelical-explained-850380/

That story just weirds me out. There's something so obviously sleazy and questionable about it and the evangelicals just don't care.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know a lot of people don't like Cuomo, but I would feel a thousand percent better if he was our president based off of the press conference that's going on.

Cuomo is a two-faced, backstabbing snake, and a petty bully who is compelled to try to destroy or diminish anybody who might outshine him.

The man is a damn competent bureaucrat, though, and he knows how to use the powers of government like few others.

17 minutes ago, sologdin said:

Pelosi’s term expires without an election too, doesn’t it?

totally.  all the representatives would expire before inauguration.  but art. I empowers the respective state governors to fill vacancies. i suspect newsom will deliver her back to congress.  

It empowers the appointment of Senators.  I believe House members have to be elected.

10 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Cuomo is a two-faced, backstabbing snake, and a petty bully who is compelled to try to destroy or diminish anybody who might outshine him.

The man is a damn competent bureaucrat, though, and he knows how to use the powers of government like few others.

Very much so! 

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It empowers the appointment of Senators.  I believe House members have to be elected.

Please, please tell me, then, why does the constitution make the Leader of the House the person who steps in? Were the authors of the constitution so stupid they couldn't see the issue, or was it because they assumed it was understood to tbe the leader of the House before the failed election?

22 minutes ago, sologdin said:

but art. I empowers the respective state governors to fill vacancies.

My understanding of section 2 clause 4 is that for the House governors are only empowered to "issue writs of election to fill such vacancies."

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Please, please tell me, then, why does the constitution make the Leader of the House the person who steps in?

This is controversial, and succession has actually gone back and forth - the first act in 1792 had the Senate pro tem next in line after the VP, then the 1886 act went right to Cabinet members starting with the SoS.  I'm not sure why going to Cabinet members is better?  At least members of Congress are elected officials.

ETA:  Also, obviously, the constitution doesn't say anything specific about succession after the VP - they leave it up to Congress.

Archived