M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Ran

@Tears of Lys responding to your post in the previous thread - ozone is a highly reactive and toxic gas, I have no doubt that at a decent concentration it would destroy the virus (it can be used for sterilization) but inhaling it would also completely destroy your lungs. It's the respiratory equivalent of drinking bleach.

4 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

@Tears of Lys responding to your post in the previous thread - ozone is a highly reactive and toxic gas, I have no doubt that at a decent concentration it would destroy the virus (it can be used for sterilization) but inhaling it would also completely destroy your lungs. It's the respiratory equivalent of drinking bleach.

Yeah, a brief Googling of ozone inhaling confirmed my suspicions.  You probably wouldn't even get a decent high out of it.

<jk!> 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Emergency-measures Universal Basic Income doesn't sound like a bad idea to me in this situation.

Yeah, especially if it lasts for a long time. If I were Andrew Yang I climb the highest building in NYC, double middle fingers twirling in a circle screaming “Told ya’ so!!!”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

Coronavirus and ibuprofen: Separating fact from fiction

Stories have been circulating online suggesting it's dangerous to take ibuprofen if you have coronavirus. Alongside genuine medical advice, false messages have been spreading, distorting the facts.

Both paracetamol and ibuprofen can bring a temperature down and help with flu-like symptoms.

But ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are not suitable for everyone and can cause side-effects - especially for people with asthma, heart and circulatory problems.

Article continues

"4 young people in Cork" - false

"University of Vienna" - false

"Hospital in Toulouse" - false

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If I were Andrew Yang I climb the highest building in NYC, double middle fingers twirling in a circle screaming “Told ya’ so!!!”

Are you comparing Yang to King Kong?  Racist.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Kevin Durant tested positive.

Isn't he some guy who plays one of those games using balls?

Related to that, four Brooklyn Nets players tested positive; three of whom have zero symptoms. Which, brings back the question I had when Gobert tested positive, how are NBA teams getting all these tests?

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Related to that, four Brooklyn Nets players tested positive; three of whom have zero symptoms. Which, brings back the question I had when Gobert tested positive, how are NBA teams getting all these tests?

In the case of Gobert, it turned out the state of Oklahoma happily used up 60% of its daily capacity to test him and the teams and staff members.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Kevin Durant tested positive.

Isn't he some guy who plays one of those games using balls?

This is in part why I said watch the basketball leagues. They would close those things quickly if a player got it, because there aren’t many things grimier in sports than a basketball, and there’s always ten dudes trying to grab it and sweat all over it.

Hopefully Kawhi doesn’t catch it. You know who that is, right?

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

There seem to be a lot of famous people with mild symptoms getting access to tests. 

I believe that somewhere along the way In read an article about how sports teams, like those in the NBA, normally have long-standing relationships with a medical provider in their city. They even have sponsorship deals, where the team sponsors the hospital in return for being at the top of the list for treatment and tests. Logical, I think.

29 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I believe that somewhere along the way In read an article about how sports teams, like those in the NBA, normally have long-standing relationships with a medical provider in their city. They even have sponsorship deals, where the team sponsors the hospital in return for being at the top of the list for treatment and tests. Logical, I think.

Note that every situation is different, but yes, pro teams have corporate partnerships with local hospital chains and universities, and it's pretty logical to conclude that they get very special treatment. 

5 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

JFC, this looks to be the worst case scenario without any action being taken, but regardless this is not good at all. If that happens we’re looking at a Depression not just a recession. 

He's not wrong. Imagine a scenario in which the country is partly to mostly shut down for three to six months. That would be a disaster requiring several cash infusions and who knows how everything will react to an exploding debt.

And I really don't even want to think what it would mean if supply chains broke down in a meaningful way., 

So I cannot believe I didn't see this, but last night, Pennsylvania announced it will close all liquor stores for "at least" 14 days starting tonight at 9.  I didn't hear about it until around an hour ago thanks to a neighbor.  Rushed to my nearest liquor store, it was quite backed, but I was able to get 3 handles each of gin and whiskey.  Along with what I already have, that should last 3-4 weeks.  After that though, I'll have to switch to beer & wine (which at least so far can still be sold in grocery stores).  Gr.  Also, out all the silly news I've heard, how did I not hear about this - the most essential announcement to my personal life thus far outside of going to online classes for my job?  Double Gr.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

So I cannot believe I didn't see this, but last night, Pennsylvania announced it will close all liquor stores for "at least" 14 days starting tonight at 9.  I didn't hear about it until around an hour ago thanks to a neighbor.  Rushed to my nearest liquor store, it was quite backed, but I was able to get 3 handles each of gin and whiskey.  Along with what I already have, that should last 3-4 weeks.  After that though, I'll have to switch to beer & wine (which at least so far can still be sold in grocery stores).  Gr.  Also, out all the silly news I've heard, how did I not hear about this - the most essential announcement to my personal life thus far outside of going to online classes for my job?  Double Gr.

Priorities, right? My shop is always stocked up, and it looked fairly bad when I went yesterday. I expect the same thing here too, so two handles of Four Roses, a 750 of Glenfiddich and two cases of beer. That should easily cover a month for me considering no ones coming over for a few weeks and I can be far too generous letting friends drink a fair bit at my place for free.

Honestly, the biggest change in my life I'm noticing since shit got real is I really don't drink much if any beer when there are no sports. Those two cases could seriously last three months if this keeps up.

Also was happy to learn that eggs are good for like six weeks in the fridge. I've been eating them like crazy for the last few months after never really eating them. So at least I can stock up on that for a lot less than chicken and steak.

Archived