M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Ran

6 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-nobel-laureate-Coronavirus-spread-is-slowing-621145/amp

2013 Nobel Laureate biochemist says the threat is diminishing and that much of the population probably has natural immunity, citing the cruise ship worst possible environment which still only resulted in 20% of passengers getting infected.

I’m no expert, but I can’t help but notice he completely ignores the massive quarantine in China? Maybe that played a part in the numbers dipping? The cruise ship figures aren’t definitive because we only know that 20% got infected when they tested, there’s been no follow up see if they subsequently displayed symptoms.

Supermarket had everything except pasta, washing up liquid and toilet roll. Lots of nearly empty shelves but you could cook any number of decent meals with what there was. Thought I was going to have to arrest someone at one point though as the bloke in front was going mental as someone else was buying 8 boxes of eggs and he couldn't get any. But they limited the purchase to 2 boxes anyway. 

About an hour north of Green Bay here, it's on the edge of large forest lands and population wise it's considered an rural county. I take some comfort in not living in a large population center right now. The stores have been sufficiently stocked so far and haven't had any trouble getting all my normal grocer items. They have closed the Y and a HS and college pools, so my biggest current interruption is nowhere for me to swim right now and the loss of my favorite exercise.

The YMCA which closed Monday at 3pm, thought they would only be down for the rest of the month. I'm thinking i'll be lucky if I can get in that pool again before Fall. Very sceptical they will be back to biz as usual in 2 weeks. Thing is I just prepaid my membership for 12mos, curious how they are going to address that?

Am noticing a general depression going around with many of my workmates. 

Stay safe out there.

51 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Eurovision has been cancelled.

This is speculative right now, with Israeli media claiming it'll be announced today, but it's not confirmed yet.

Oh, in Sweden the health authorities have permitted the experimental drug remdesivir to be used on some coronavirus patients. There's hopes that it will be an effective antiviral, and has been used in China and I think elsewhere in limited cases. Chloroquine is also  apparently effective, and widely available as an anti-malarial and auto-immune disorder counter, while I think the French have had success with a related compound called hydrochloroquine.

(That said, as people note, don't hoard this stuff if you happen to have a prescription that lets you get some. It's mainly useful once infected and showing serious symptoms, not as a preventative to getting infected in the first place.)

@Aemon Stark from the last thread.

I hope you're doing okay, but it's important to point out that there have been no completed randomized controlled trials (or even prospective cohort studies) supporting any of this. There may indeed be a role for chloroquine (and other anti-malarials?) but extra high doses of Vit D might only lead to toxicity. Also, any physician recommending against a vaccine because of "immune-booster" supplements is committing borderline malpractice. Can the supplements, get the flu vaccine. If there were a COVID-19 vaccine (and there will be... in 12-18 months), would this reasoning apply?

Hangin' in there, thanks.

I appreciate the info, but as I'm in the risk category, I'm still doing it. Makes no sense to me to not take basic vitamins (C especially has helped) when doing nothing might get me in the hospital. I said in my post that I'm aware about the body storing vitamin D, but it still seems like coronavirus, hospitalization and death is more of a threat than vitamin D toxicity, especially as those are over the counter doses and deficiency is common.

Bold. As said in the post, the treatment was recommended for coronavirus and it makes sense to me to be cautious about getting a flu shot which makes some feel sick while also having coronavirus and getting treatment for it.

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Is it possible to enforce state "borders" in the USA? 

With a state of emergency and essentially ignoring the provisions of the US Constitution, maybe.

That said it would be on the individual States to enforce their borders.

2 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-nobel-laureate-Coronavirus-spread-is-slowing-621145/amp

2013 Nobel Laureate biochemist says the threat is diminishing and that much of the population probably has natural immunity, citing the cruise ship worst possible environment which still only resulted in 20% of passengers getting infected.

I sincerely hope he is correct.

4 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I suspect that will make it very difficult to contain the virus.

Perhaps.  You also have to remember that freedom of movement between States in the US has been guaranteed for more than two centuries.  State borders aren’t designed and haven’t been designed to prevent crossing for that entire time.

Heck, there is a theme park outside of Charlotte North Carolina called “Carowinds” that’s concete is that is is divided between North and South Carolina.  You walk back and forth over the border as you move through the park.

Additionally, some US States are really big.  Closing the borders of California, Texas, or Montana would be a monumental undertaking.  

You guys have reminded me of a movie that's set in a hotel that's spans over two state lines, I believe it was the Cali/Nevada border but it's been a minute since I seen the movie.

Depending which side of the hotel your room was you'd be in Cali or Nevada.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Perhaps.  You also have to remember that freedom of movement between States in the US has been guaranteed for more than two centuries.  State borders aren’t designed and haven’t been designed to prevent crossing for that entire time.

Heck, there is a theme park outside of Charlotte North Carolina called “Carowinds” that’s concete is that is is divided between North and South Carolina.  You walk back and forth over the border as you move through the park.

Additionally, some US States are really big.  Closing the borders of California, Texas, or Montana would be a monumental undertaking.  

You may not get the borders watertight but closing highways and airports will do a lot to reduce travel across the border.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Supermarket had everything except pasta, washing up liquid and toilet roll. Lots of nearly empty shelves but you could cook any number of decent meals with what there was. Thought I was going to have to arrest someone at one point though as the bloke in front was going mental as someone else was buying 8 boxes of eggs and he couldn't get any. But they limited the purchase to 2 boxes anyway. 

Sainsburys sent around an email to customers (my parents delivery account is linked to my email) with a few steps they've taken. Closing their instore bakeries, and fresh fish and meat counters to free up staff for restocking shelves. On Thursday, first hour of opening is set aside for over 70s and other vulnerable persons - not sure how you police the latter though, are people going to be bringing medical records to show they are an at risk group? All groceries now limited to two per person (previously it was essentials, and three per person). Priority home delivery slots for over 70s. Expansion of click and collect services 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Eggs? Really? I mean it's not like eggs are perishable or something. I know you can hardboil them to extend their shelf life. But 8 boxes of eggs. Assuming those were small boxes of 6 eggs, you still have 48 eggs.

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

Will be fascinating to see if there is a downturn. I can't help think virus related crime will pop up. Black market in medical supplies etc.

I heard about a new way of robbing flats: several people in safety uniforms and masks appear at the door and inform you and your family need to leave the place for a couple of hours, as the city/region/state performs compulsory disinfection. You leave, they rob the place and disappear. It's pretty unbelievable, but I heard quite a few people, mostly older ones, actually fall for that. :/

31 minutes ago, Loge said:

You may not get the borders watertight but closing highways and airports will do a lot to reduce travel across the border.

There are plenty of roads that aren’t Inter-states.  The US interstate Highway system wasn’t even started until the 1950s. 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

This is speculative right now, with Israeli media claiming it'll be announced today, but it's not confirmed yet.

Oh, in Sweden the health authorities have permitted the experimental drug remdesivir to be used on some coronavirus patients. There's hopes that it will be an effective antiviral, and has been used in China and I think elsewhere in limited cases. Chloroquine is also  apparently effective, and widely available as an anti-malarial and auto-immune disorder counter, while I think the French have had success with a related compound called hydrochloroquine.

(That said, as people note, don't hoard this stuff if you happen to have a prescription that lets you get some. It's mainly useful once infected and showing serious symptoms, not as a preventative to getting infected in the first place.)

Some reddit threads claimed thar S. Korea and/or China were using cloroquine, etc as a prophylactic in persons who were under the exposure

4 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

He also didn't want to make country-by-country predictions, his number crunching was only for China (and to a lesser extent SK).

As to the cruise ship, using that to hypothesize that 'most people have natural immunity' is fine, but then you'd need a lot more data to support that hypothesis (for instance, identifying what the body was producing to combat it etc.).

Archived