M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Ran

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Almost certainly broader testing and better contact tracing. 

Indeed, Italy and Spain are now forced to only test people who need hospitalization while we still have enough breathing room to try and track down infection chains.

There are some initial reports (not yet peer reviewed) that blood type plays a role in likelihood of infection and severity of symptoms.

People with blood type A may be more susceptible to coronavirus compared to other blood types, scientists have claimed.

Researchers in China looked at blood group patterns of more than 2,000 people who had been diagnosed with the new coronavirus as part of a preliminary study.

They found that those with blood type A were more vulnerable to infection and tended to develop more severe symptoms while those with the more common blood type O had a “significantly lower risk” of getting the disease.

If that's true (still a pretty big if), I wonder if that could help explain the differences in some countries. Although, looking at the country-wide numbers, Italy and Germany have pretty similar proportion of Blood Types A and O (but maybe regional differences exist between northern Italy and wherever most German cases currently are).

The real question would be seeing what happens in a country like Chile (87% of the population with O+ or O-, only 9% with A+ or A-) compared to a country like Armenia (29% with O+ or O-, 49% with A+ or A-). Though other variables would need to be controlled somehow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The US coronavirus task force is warning that early reports out of Italy and France is showing higher than expected rates of illness in Millenials.

Do they mean rates of fatalities? Being a millennial makes you no more or no less likely to catch the virus than anyone else.

In the UK we've had our biggest one-day jump in fatalities. The youngest death so far is a 45-year-old guy but he had a major pre-existing health issue.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Do they mean rates of fatalities? Being a millennial makes you no more or no less likely to catch the virus than anyone else.

In the UK we've had our biggest one-day jump in fatalities. The youngest death so far is a 45-year-old guy but he had a major pre-existing health issue.

I assume it means getting infected. Perhaps more will pop up on the internet as a follow-up to the warning. Maybe it means severity. Up until now, everything I've seen has made age 50 the magic number, fatalities being less than 1% if younger, doubling for over 50s.

The local news broadcasts this AM included the idea that it would be at least 45 days before the peak here.  What that means, who knows at this time.

Not that the fed is doing ANYTHING at all about beds, ventilators, gloves, masks, staff, or anything.  Except -- I guess sending us naval ships to serve as hospital beds?

"U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages
The 100-page federal plan laid out a grim prognosis and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-plan.html?

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I assume it means getting infected. Perhaps more will pop up on the internet as a follow-up to the warning. Maybe it means severity. Up until now, everything I've seen has made age 50 the magic number, fatalities being less than 1% if younger, doubling for over 50s.

CNN’s headline says higher rates of young people getting seriously ill.  

28 minutes ago, Fez said:

The real question would be seeing what happens in a country like Chili (87% of the population with O+ or O-, only 9% with A+ or A-) compared to a country like Armenia (29% with O+ or O-, 49% with A+ or A-). Though other variables would need to be controlled somehow.

Its Chile. 

1 minute ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Its Chile. 

Yes it is. 

My bad. In my defense, I was looking up recipes for chili to cook tonight, and got too used to typing that.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Maybe it's actually just a conspiracy to get younger people out of the bars and off the bloody beach?

That thought crossed my mind as well.  If it is a little government psyop to scare younger people into scaling their lives back to mitigate the spread, I can’t say its one I’m against.  

Regardless of the truth of it my wife and I are both on the older end of the millennial spectrum @ age 35, and we have both been as careful as we can be ever since the first cases were reported in our area.  Even if we are extremely likely to survive I still don’t want to get it!  Or be spreading it around town. 

Also I don’t think being younger necessarily means you cant get a severe case, even though it’s less likely, and if we needed hospitalization then we’d probably be deemed to have a good chance of surviving with medical intervention meaning the ventilator that I’m using could easily mean the death of several others should the system become overwhelmed.  

We are limiting contact, washing hands regularly, disinfecting surfaces, only leaving the house for essential needs, and have avoided any kind of social gathering for a week and will continue to do that.  Both of us have cancelled upcoming plans with our respective parents and siblings.  If we get it, we get it, but we are trying.  Hope everyone else in my age group does too.

You know how to get cabin fever in the times of Corona?

BY HAVING YOUR PARENTS' DIVORCE FLARE UP ANEW!

I didn't even know lawyers were still working in this environment, but they apparently do as my father once again filed a frivolous lawsuit against my mother and once again I am watching her pace through the flat in an unbridled rage. She had been on the edge the entire day, using every possible opportunity to snap at me, but now after reading this drivel it turned into an outright argument with her declaring that I must be siding with my father and am betraying her while I am sitting hunched in a corner failing to prepare the remaining homeschooling lessons for my students that still need preparing. All because I dared to open my mouth and pleaded for her to calm down.

We are in year 8 of their divorce btw...

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

COVID-19 would be scared of some of the diseases roaming around Miami.  

I was just having a (fone) convo with a friend who told me how his artist sister and her artist husband who have a beautiful old bungalow on Miami Beach have been targeted by the cops because they had a Bernie sticker on their car.  They are being harassed all the time, including having the tires shot out.  The lead cop on this told them he didn't like their attitude.  Cocked one hand on hip, tipped back his hat, put hand on his gun, and added:  "Go Trump."

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Almost certainly broader testing and better contact tracing. 

Makes sense - thanks. Italy looks like less of an outlier and more of a predictor based on that information. 

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was saying it was going to happen before the end of the week. Closed except for essential trade, like food.

Canada breaks out the number who returned from cruises. Eight.

Porter Airlines is suspending service starting Saturday until June 1st. Sadly makes sense as all/almost all of their flights are cross-border. 

We have 29 ICU beds per 100.000 people, Italy has far less (I forgot how many).

Merkel just made a speech, appealing to the good sense of us to follow the rules. I expect lockdown/ curfew within the next 7 days or so.

Archived