M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Ran

Yes. As well as humanity in general.

Seriously, my supermarket hasn't had fucking toilet paper for 5 days or so. The next time someone tells me NOT to stock up they can run for their bloody lives.

Most people do isolate, but many young idiots seem to get cocky, meet up in parks, or for corona parties. They know they are less likely to get harmed by it nd don't give a flying f***.

Hmmm, I think I'm getting a little stircrazy, sorry. I know there are many worse off than us.

ETA: Medical experts say that they definitely cannot test as much as they would like, as not enough tests are available.

9 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

The next time someone tells me NOT to stock up they can run for their bloody lives.

I'm hoping that (by now), most supermarkets won't let you stock up by making panic purchases!

It's a very minor point in the scheme of things, but the major grocery stores should have been wising up to hoarders much earlier than they have.

16 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Yes. As well as humanity in general.

Seriously, my supermarket hasn't had fucking toilet paper for 5 days or so. The next time someone tells me NOT to stock up they can run for their bloody lives.

Most people do isolate, but many young idiots seem to get cocky, meet up in parks, or for corona parties. They know they are less likely to get harmed by it nd don't give a flying f***.

Hmmm, I think I'm getting a little stircrazy, sorry. I know there are many worse off than us.

ETA: Medical experts say that they definitely cannot test as much as they would like, as not enough tests are available.

Yes, I've mocked people over their TP buys, too. And I'd like to buy a new pack at some point in the next few weeks, too.

Anyway, curfew would come at a very incovenient time for me personally right now.

My dad's birthday is saturday, and I'd really hate to leave him on his own at the nursery on that day. I feel guilty enough of having had to put him there in the first place. I know little sob story and a mere footnote in the bigger picture, but still.

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

My dad's birthday is saturday, and I'd really hate to leave him on his own at the nursery on that day. I feel guilty enough of having had to put him there in the first place. I know little sob story and a mere footnote in the bigger picture, but still.

Which country are you in? Homes for the elderly were one of the first things they closed for visits here. My grandmother, who spends her days in one when my aunt works, but still lives in her house (my aunt takes her there and picks her up), has not been allowed to come and go for a few days now.

Browsing through data bases like The New York Times from 1917-1919, searching on "flu", "influenza", "Spanish flu." (ya, being trapped at home is being felt)

The US was a total disaster dealing with the 'flu' -- but this time the leadership is even worse than that time.

Went out about early this AM: bright blue, sunny, windy day. Walked briskly for about an hour. Stopped into MW to see what was what. For the first time – no wipes, no tp, lots of empty shelf space. The Trader Joe people discovered Morton Williams! It had Stuff! Now, it doesn’t have Stuff. They devoured, though as one asshole lady, who doesn’t live down here, whined, “The parking isn’t as easy. I've come back twice today, and each time the parking was even worse." Another one complained to a store stocker that the "original" oreos weren't on the shelf. What the eff is an Original Oreo?

So we see people are driving down here to clean out the stores to take back to wherever the fuck they really live -- or maybe for their summer house in the Hamptons? Now shoppers for TJ's have to stand in long lines outside, as the store allows in a certain number at a time, to keep stocked and keep clean and keep the workers from going ballistic.

So far only TJ's imposes a limit on number of an item; none have instituted a 'elderly' shopping hour.

RBC did some modelling using Chinese and Italian numbers, to see when the graphs started to flatten in China and what they are in Italy. In China that was 25 days after lockdown. Keep in mind, lockdown was total lockdown. They even had drones looking for people out walking in the street and ordering them to go home.

Italy has not gone through 25 days yet. The numbers are horrible. They created a graph showing how hospital capacity dropped and deaths increased.

They estimate that stress might hit the US if the cases hit 30,500. Watch out for that number.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Which country are you in? Homes for the elderly were one of the first things they closed for visits here. My grandmother, who spends her days in one when my aunt works, but still lives in her house (my aunt takes her there and picks her up), has not been allowed to come and go for a few days now.

Corona Capital of Germany.

I was able to visit my dad last Saturday. Of course I wasn't (and I am still not) showing any flu symptoms or something, that could/would deter me. And yes, I think it's absolutely possible they will cut off visitors before the we.

34 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

They estimate that stress might hit the US if the cases hit 30,500. Watch out for that number.

Some estimates are that the US has already passed that number.  If we haven't yet, it's just a day or two away.  But because tests are virtually unavailable in most states, we can only make educated guesses. 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

I'm hoping that (by now), most supermarkets won't let you stock up by making panic purchases!

It's a very minor point in the scheme of things, but the major grocery stores should have been wising up to hoarders much earlier than they have.

Yes. I'm sure they'll ration it if they ever get some in again.

Today, they had a sign that only only 2 packs of pasta, rice, and only two bottles of oil were allowed, and I saw them enforce it.

90% recovered from the weirdest cold I've ever had. Went from a bit of a sore throat on Saturday to entirely in my lungs Sunday. Slightly restricted breathing and lots of coughing, but no fatigue and maybe a slight fever a couple days, though I don't own a thermometer to check my temp (really need to get that fixed). Nothing much at all upper respiratory. Tbh would've been tempted to go and get tested, but current testing criteria here (overseas travel or contact with a confirmed case) means it wasn't worth even trying to persue. Just stayed home with the dog and isolated.

Today (Thursday here) lungs feel much much better and was tempted to head back in to the lab, but going to give it until after weekend to be sure.

Odd timing - first respiratory illness I've had in over 18 months. Though humans do like to find coincidence.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, I've mocked people over their TP buys, too. And I'd like to buy a new pack at some point in the next few weeks, too.

I’ve got 89 rolls. The good stuff , double ply. Nice, soft and fluffy.

I sell you a roll for $25!

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve got 89 rolls. The good stuff , double ply. Nice, soft and fluffy.

I sell you a roll for $25!

Still have three rolls left (not that anybody is interested on my TP store level). So I am not in the redzone yet.

Besides I tentatively have plan B building up in the back of my head. Raiding the MacDonalds nearby for TP. :dunno:

accommodating to the real of the virus presents a historical conjuncture wherein revision of various aspects of the modern world becomes suddenly practicable. abolishing ecologically pointless washroom tissue is one such revision. we might develop a plausible listing otherwise.

You know what is annoying me, so many people I know are posting up stories and photos of themselves in the gym! Even now.

Ok technically it’s still allowed but it seems immensely stupid to still be going to a small barely ventilated area touching a bunch of stuff other people are touching.

You know, Gyms have sanitizers. And you are supposed to use it on the weights and equipment (at the very least after you use it, now I'd prolly recommend doing one round before).

No, I am not among the GymRat population anymore. And Gyms are now closed down here anyway.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You know, Gyms have sanitizers. And you are supposed to use it on the weights and equipment (at the very least after you use it, now I'd prolly recommend doing one round before).

No, I am not among the GymRat population anymore. And Gyms are now closed down here anyway.

Yeah I know. I am a bit of a gym rat, I go at least 4-5 times a week. I’ve never seen anyone use sanitizer before using equipment, they certainly don’t do it every time they pick up a weight. 

24 minutes ago, sologdin said:

accommodating to the real of the virus presents a historical conjuncture wherein revision of various aspects of the modern world becomes suddenly practicable. abolishing ecologically pointless washroom tissue is one such revision. we might develop a plausible listing otherwise.

I refuse to use any Demolition Man-style clam shells.

Archived