M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Ran

Has anyone else noticed a run on thermometers? Since I've been having to self-quarantine, I've been taking my temp twice daily to make sure I'm not running a fever. Each time for the past two days, I've taken my temperature once, and it has come up elevated (think 99.2-99.4 range). Then, when I re-check, it'll read below normal (98.1-98.4).

So my thought is that my thermometer is busted, so I start looking online, and every single one is either out of stock, or is selling at vastly inflated prices (think $100 for one that retails for $25).

For reference, I've tended to notice for years now that when I'm not running a fever (visiting the doctor, donating blood, etc.) my normal basal temperature seems to be below the established norm of 98.6. I usually run between 96.8-97.6. 

Should I be concerned? I don't want to go out, but I don't want to unnecessarily burden an overstretched medical system even over tele-appointment, and I can't get good data from my thermometer. I'm not feeling poorly, although I have noticed that I've been shivering and feeling cold, even when the temperature in the house has been like 72-73 degrees. Plus I've had some congestion, but it's the beginning of allergy season in Oklahoma and it's been rainy the past few days, so that's not particularly surprising for me during this time of year. I'm not particularly worried, I'm just not sure exactly what I should do.

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I think not just the browns part.  Also the bad math on the statistics on terrorism and now not understanding the odds on COVID and the not-too-difficult-to-understand-but-still-not-understood infectious disease stuff.  But also definitely the brownness impacting the TERROR fear.  

Yea maybe there’s something about immediate violence that’s just easier for the mind to wrap itself around, no matter the odds.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

On other hand, a relative who works at a major hospital in Boston told me today that they have 90+ staff who have tested positive.  My relative is awaiting results and is self-quarantining.  Can only imagine what's coming in the next week or so.

I love in Boston and this would be shocking news. I'm not discounting but it would be a serious surprise/concern.

15 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Has anyone else noticed a run on thermometers? Since I've been having to self-quarantine, I've been taking my temp twice daily to make sure I'm not running a fever. Each time for the past two days, I've taken my temperature once, and it has come up elevated (think 99.2-99.4 range). Then, when I re-check, it'll read below normal (98.1-98.4).

So my thought is that my thermometer is busted, so I start looking online, and every single one is either out of stock, or is selling at vastly inflated prices (think $100 for one that retails for $25).

For reference, I've tended to notice for years now that when I'm not running a fever (visiting the doctor, donating blood, etc.) my normal basal temperature seems to be below the established norm of 98.6. I usually run between 96.8-97.6. 

Should I be concerned? I don't want to go out, but I don't want to unnecessarily burden an overstretched medical system even over tele-appointment, and I can't get good data from my thermometer. I'm not feeling poorly, although I have noticed that I've been shivering and feeling cold, even when the temperature in the house has been like 72-73 degrees. Plus I've had some congestion, but it's the beginning of allergy season in Oklahoma and it's been rainy the past few days, so that's not particularly surprising for me during this time of year. I'm not particularly worried, I'm just not sure exactly what I should do.

I could not find my thermometer last week and thought I’d run out and pick one up. Duhhhh!

I recently saw an article about researchers tracking medical records on the topic of temperature. It turns out in the last hundred years our temperatures have dropped, by about a degree. I’ll see if I can find it and add the link here.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-human-body-temperatures-cooling-down/

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Man, you guys are green as all fuck.   I will be 40 soon ("I'm a man!  I'm 40!").  

I will lecture you guys all I want about stuff and what it was like to live under the iron curtain and what it all means.   

You see @Tywin et al.?  This is how an ‘older 30s’ person talks 

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

It just dawned on me how international of a thread this is and how much the "I'm 40!" reference is not going to make much sense to the field.

That reference is honestly the only thing I look forward to about being 40.

9 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Yes. As well as humanity in general.

Seriously, my supermarket hasn't had fucking toilet paper for 5 days or so. The next time someone tells me NOT to stock up they can run for their bloody lives.

Most people do isolate, but many young idiots seem to get cocky, meet up in parks, or for corona parties. They know they are less likely to get harmed by it nd don't give a flying f***.

Hmmm, I think I'm getting a little stircrazy, sorry. I know there are many worse off than us.

ETA: Medical experts say that they definitely cannot test as much as they would like, as not enough tests are available.

Stuttmann was right after all: 

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/images/panik_ts/25595910/2-formatOriginal.jpg

This appeared about two weeks ago. And while we're at it, here's another one:

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/images/ueberleben_ts/25626918/2-formatOriginal.jpg

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

What's the question?

No question. Just commenting on the German government's handling of the crisis and the panic buying of toilet paper. The person pushing the shopping cart is Merkel telling the perplexed public not to panic. 

It is day 3 of the lockdown and my mother has decided to pretend that I'm air. A tactic I haven't seen her use since High School. And I am so sick of all of this. I'm working my ass off day after day, get snapped at the entire time to the degree that I prefer to bite my tongue and never speak up and the moment I finally say something, I am supposed to come back crawling and begging for forgiveness just because she projects all kinds of traitorous thoughts into a simple observation?

I am so sick of it, I just NEED to get out of here! This atmosphere here is driving me insane and prevents me from doing my fucking job!

29 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

That reads a bit like a captain's log entry found on a creepy, abandoned spaceship.

Yeah, but you expect the claustrophobic "We are all going to die!" messages to appear a few months into the mission, not right after launch!

5 minutes ago, Toth said:

Yeah, but you expect the claustrophobic "We are all going to die!" messages to appear a few months into the mission, not right after launch!

Not sure where you are and all, but I'll wager good odds that if you're in a larger city a lot of AirBNB type deals have been vacated and you might be able to get a pretty sweet deal to crash at some other location for awhile until you feel better mentally.

Just saying.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

Isn't it closed?

Are you threatening the mighty Cornholio? (go back to page 1 of this thread if you didn't get it).

And no, it's not closed, yet. And stop pointing out flaws in my sound plans, even if they are just in the early abstract phases. Or the mgihty cornhulio will come after your TP.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Italy seems to have had a bit of a plateau on deaths, until yesterday where there was another big jump.  

I'd pay attention to the number of new cases in Italy right now as opposed to the number of new deaths.  

Do we know of any posters on this board that actually live in Italy?

Archived