M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Ran

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I hate to tell you this, but it did impact the rest of the world.

But not directly or all at once in the same way. Other countries could shoulder our burden for a time. You really can't do that right now with this virus. 

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How is he defining “Essential”?

Basically essential businesses are food production, medical, grocery and convenience stores, some mechanical stuff, public services. 

I will be happy to post the link if you like, because his office made a big list.

2 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Basically essential businesses are food production, medical, grocery and convenience stores, some mechanical stuff, public services. 

I will be happy to post the link if you like, because his office made a big list.

Gamestop just declared that their workers need to stay working because their business is an essential service

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

From a very old US friend who decamped some years ago to live in Hong Kong:

~~~~~~

Ya.  Here we don't have tests, masks, gloves or health care.

I completely agree with your friend that masks or some sort of improvised covering (i.e., a scarf, bandana, handkerchief, etc.) should be worn over the mouth and nose to reduce the chance that an asymptomatic infected person unknowingly spreads the infection.  Everyone should be able to cover their mouth and nose with something, even if it is not a mask.  I pointed this out in the US politics thread, but it's good to point it out here.  I don't know why US experts don't make this recommendation.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Gamestop just declared that their workers need to stay working because their business is an essential service

My buddy works at an audio recording place, and yesterday the boss sent out a letter saying they had to stay open for the good of America and the economy. Not lying or even exaggerating. Thankfully they even closed after this order from Gov. Wolf. 

2 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

I completely agree with your friend that masks or some sort of improvised covering (i.e., a scarf, bandana, handkerchief, etc.) should be worn over the mouth and nose to reduce the chance that an asymptomatic infected person unknowingly spreads the infection.  Everyone should be able to cover their mouth and nose with something, even if it is not a mask.  I pointed this out in the US politics thread, but it's good to point it out here.  I don't know why US experts don't make this recommendation.

There's information on various materials one can use to make masks or cover one's face with here for those interested.

They just forbade us from gathering outside in groups of more than 5 people, and they are going to enforce this under threat of a fine. I have no idea which reality I live in anymore, but it is scary.

30 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I gave my boss a death stare when he said we were essential because we work at a hospital. People want to know the medical staff is there. No one cares if Ted in accounting is at work billing people.

Trump is unbearable. I just put the television on and there he was saying "there has never been anything like this in history; Never. Not anything" sorry if I misquote his rambling. Well its true its an individual virus but things like the Black Death jump to mind, not to mention Spanish Flu, Cholera and Typhus epidemics in the 19th century. Why does everything have to be a hyperbole?

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I gave my boss a death stare when he said we were essential because we work at a hospital. People want to know the medical staff is their. No one cares if Ted in accounting his at work billing people.

BUT MY TRADE IN VALUES

https://kotaku.com/gamestop-we-can-stay-open-during-lockdowns-because-wer-1842415962

16 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Reading between the lines, what you're saying here is that I can wear my Scorpion costume mask to work without repercussion? 

Can I bring the bad spear it came with too?

2 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Trump is unbearable. I just put the television on and there he was saying "there has never been anything like this in history; Never. Not anything" sorry if I misquote his rambling. Well its true its an individual virus but things like the Black Death jump to mind, not to mention Spanish Flu, Cholera and Typhus epidemics in the 29th century. Why does everything have to be a hyperbole?

His grandfather died in the 1918 epidemic ffs.

28 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Thank you

11 minutes ago, Week said:

His grandfather died in the 1918 epidemic ffs.

Oops!

And everything is hyperbole with Trump because that's what he does.  It's like a nervous tic with him.

He's also probably planning to talk about how this is sooo unprecedented, NO ONE would have been able to predict how it would play out. (especially him.)

Ed: Interesting to see what's still open around here.  Home Goods, for instance.  Because we obviously still need lamps and doo-dads!  

13 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Trump is unbearable. I just put the television on and there he was saying "there has never been anything like this in history; Never. Not anything" sorry if I misquote his rambling. Well its true its an individual virus but things like the Black Death jump to mind, not to mention Spanish Flu, Cholera and Typhus epidemics in the 29th century. Why does everything have to be a hyperbole?

Ebola. . Sars. . . its really too bad we didn't have a whole team of experts coordinating various nations to be prepared for just this sort of thing.  Oh we did?  He fired them? 

But he doesn't take any responsibility, oh no.

18 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I'm glad I won't be around for the 29th century and the return of all those horrible diseases.   Though I do hope that you do something to try to warn the future of what is coming.

Seriously, his ignorance, his stubborn resistance to learning anything continues to be a serious problem for this country.  If he was willing to spend 10 minutes going through a briefing on the history of epidemic disease and actually apply that knowledge, he would have a much better handle on what is happening now.  But he won't, so we have to live with the consequences of his willful blindness.

Archived