M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Ran

Just now, davos said:

I'm glad I won't be around for the 29th century and the return of all those horrible diseases.   

hell I edited my original but now it lives on in quotes.

This except of an article is interesting, because it sounds exactly what I and a bunch of people i know where went thru about 3 weeks ago - 

My brief experience of the NHS showed its problems. I'd had a cough since going to Munich, Germany for its security conference in mid-February. Or was it since I climbed into my parents' loft to help clear it out? I can't tell. After one boozy night a fortnight later, I woke up with a very mild fever (37.4 degrees Celsius/99.3 degrees Fahrenheit). I dialed 111 -- the NHS helpline -- and got told I probably didn't have coronavirus, but needed to see a doctor in the next two hours.

The doctor, herself suffering from a heavy cold, checked my vitals and diagnosed heavy man-flu and self-pity, saying I didn't really have a fever (below 38 degrees Celsius) and definitely didn't qualify for a test. She sent me packing. But a week later, the advice had changed and -- had I that fever and new cough now -- neither I, nor my partner, would have left the house for two weeks.
This is where many friends stand, exchanging stories of a tightness of the chest or an unusual bout of flu that didn't seem to go away -- all over the past 6 weeks. We don't know if that means we had "it," or just the flu.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/19/uk/london-coronavirus-diary-npw/index.html

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Reading between the lines, what you're saying here is that I can wear my Scorpion costume mask to work without repercussion? 

Can I bring the bad spear it came with too?

Yes, and if someone gets within 6 feet, stab them with it.

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Ok, dumb question. I keep hearing that expectation the pandemic will die out when it gets warmer on the northern hemisphere makes no sense, and one of the main arguments is that virus comfortably lives inside a human organism, at the temperature of minimum 36,6. But the flu virus also lives inside our bodies, and yet we don't have problems with the flu during summer, do we? Why is that different? Am I missing something?

Influenza thrives better in autumn winter for a number of reasons (more people are in closed spaces inside, mucous membranes are less humid due to heated air, etc.) and it was hoped that this might also be the case for the new Corona virus but it seems as if this is not the case. Thus it is not all that likely that the curve might flatten naturally in summer. But as far as I know we don't know that with complete certainty since the virus is pretty new.

38 minutes ago, davos said:

I'm glad I won't be around for the 29th century and the return of all those horrible diseases.   Though I do hope that you do something to try to warn the future of what is coming.

Seriously, his ignorance, his stubborn resistance to learning anything continues to be a serious problem for this country.  If he was willing to spend 10 minutes going through a briefing on the history of epidemic disease and actually apply that knowledge, he would have a much better handle on what is happening now.  But he won't, so we have to live with the consequences of his willful blindness.

I'm of two thoughts on this. He's either not taking them or he is and the briefers keep forgetting to include that it was Trump who stopped the 1908 Spanish Flu. Did they not learn from the military briefers? 

23 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Yes, and if someone gets within 6 feet, stab them with it.

The whimpy thing only goes three to four feet before going limp.

I should have gotten the Spiderman costume instead. The web thingy shoots like ten feet, but we all know I'd use it all up in five minutes>

Jokes aside though, nobody at work is respecting the six foot rule, and when I called a few people out on it they just dismissed me. And does it even matter if every day I handle 25-40 patient files that several people have touched? The jump from a surface life of three hours to three days is a game changer.

26 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

BUT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE "GET OVER HERE" chain grapple attack. 

There's a little suction cup on the tip of it. 

NO PROMISES!!!!!

Still, the mask annoys me. Why after putting it on can I not take it off, have a skull for a head and breath fire? False advertising if I've ever seen it!!!!!

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

BUT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE "GET OVER HERE" chain grapple attack. 

That’s exactly what he should do!

Back-Back-B, Uppercut, Back-Back-B, Uppercut. Until victory!

If he knocks out all of his co-workers, what worry will he have of them spreading the disease?

Just make sure you thoroughly wash your hands once they’re all unconscious. 

Tell me again why capitalism is so good for the world and its safety and that suspicioning trumpistas wouldn't deliberately even infect us (not saying that, but once it happened, what a HAPPY OPPORTUNITY for getting rich(er), achieving political power and running the world!

Burr sold off significant amount of stock a week before market crash started: report

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488545-burr-sold-off-significant-amount-of-stock-a-week-before-market-crash-started

This being The Hill they make him sound like a real stand-up guy caring about public health.

20 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ugh. Because of mostly empty shelves I ended up having to buy John Wayne toilet paper. 

I made a quick stop at my local smallish high end store because they had bone-in NY strips half off, and the TP section was still completely empty. I joked with the cashier about how many days it's been since they restocked. She told me they restocked overnight, opened at 7 and within a hour it was all gone. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

From a very old US friend who decamped some years ago to live in Hong Kong:

~~~~~~

Ya.  Here we don't have tests, masks, gloves or health care.

Or hand sanitizer or alcohol wipes.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The whimpy thing only goes three to four feet before going limp.

I should have gotten the Spiderman costume instead. The web thingy shoots like ten feet, but we all know I'd use it all up in five minutes>

Jokes aside though, nobody at work is respecting the six foot rule, and when I called a few people out on it they just dismissed me. And does it even matter if every day I handle 25-40 patient files that several people have touched? The jump from a surface life of three hours to three days is a game changer.

Seriously, even if everyone around you is screwing up royally and spreading disease like drunken sailors, you be safe now, hear?  

<jk> (no, not really. semi serious. no. actually very serious.)  

Gamestop could be semi essential?

I went out and got and XBox One X today, because if it comes down to my having to be home by myself for a month or so and not go out at all, I want glorious 4k gaming.

Making small talk with the electronics clerk at Walmart I said this could come in handy in case we get instructed to totally shut in.  He told me that he doesn't know anyone sick and Trump is going to cut off the internet and finally take on the New World Order and I can't decide if that should be in spoiler tags or not.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

He actually denied knowing that.

I suppose you can not know what your grandparents died of. I always thought my Grandmother had a sister who died young of the Spanish Flu, but when I did some genealogy I found it was something else. I got the impression because when I was in hospital as a child, my grandmother visited and was looking out the window (the hospital was on the bay) and commented that she remembered visiting when her oldest sister was sick and died of fever. My mother said "oh did she have the Spanish flu" and I thought the answer was yes but may not have been. Anyway it was something else but I gather it was the uncontrollable fever associated with it that killed her. No antibiotics in those days.

13 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Seriously, even if everyone around you is screwing up royally and spreading disease like drunken sailors, you be safe now, hear?  

<jk> (no, not really. semi serious. no. actually very serious.)  

?

Anyways, something for people to consider. Dentists might be shut down for months, so if they're open where you are and you need something done soon, you need to make a decision whether to get it ASAP or accept that it could be a long time until they're back open.

So, I get that I was in the minority this morning, but as we were having a healthy back and fourth, the interview I'm going to link in this post came on midway through. It's with my favorite non-political talk show host and guest Dr. Celine Gounder, a top MD in her field and a NYU professor. It was pretty bleak from the start, but it took an especially dark turn when she was asked what gave her hope. She tried to say it was that her friends and colleagues in the field were still going out and treating people despite the fact that they lacked the necessary equipment and supplies. She then proceeded to start crying and needed a break before the interview could resume. You can ignore the last half of the show because it's about other things, but I highly encourage everyone to listen to the first 17-20 minutes or so to understand why a top expert in the field is seeing an oncoming calamity. 

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=28926660

(I know the ESPN bit will throw you off, but this is not a sports show, mostly, more like a Colbert Report on sports). 

So, I'm trying to get a handle on the timeline of this thing. This article says that the first confirmed case in Hubei province has been traced back to November 17, 2019. 

So, given the widely reported 14 day incubation period, asymptomatic carriers, superspreaders, and the large amount of trade and travel between nations in Southeast Asia, it's possible that this thing could have begun circulating in late October/early November, correct?

The reports I've seen say that Thailand had the first confirmed case outside of China, which I believe occurred in mid-January (13th I think). But the article I linked pushed back the date of the first confirmed case in Hubei province by nearly a month. 

So is it then possible that there is an as-yet-undiscovered first case in Thailand that actually dates back to mid-December? Meaning that it had been silently spreading in SE Asia as far back as early December or even late November? 

Am I understanding the timeline, timeframes and pattern of spread properly, or am I way off base?

Archived