Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ran

M-m-m-my Corona! NCOVID-19 #5

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Yeah, a brief Googling of ozone inhaling confirmed my suspicions.  You probably wouldn't even get a decent high out of it.

What's more is that high levels of oxygen introduce a lot of free radicals and, sometimes, cell damage. So for people with poor oxygenation, we try to optimize lung function and gas exchange rather than just cranking up the fraction of O2. Being on 100% oxygen is bad. 

Also in the last thread Ran said something about people being recommended paracetamol over acetaminophen. Of course, these are the same thing, and I expect he meant ibuprofen. #europeans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this doesn't really relate to anything but Matt Gaetz is the name of the guy that wore the gas mask on the floor of the house of representatives.  Late to the party but I didn't know his name.  Seriously fuck that guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

I know this doesn't really relate to anything but Matt Gaetz is the name of the guy that wore the gas mask on the floor of the house of representatives.  Late to the party but I didn't know his name.  Seriously fuck that guy.  

The more you learn about Matt Gaetz, the easier it is to hate him. He and Devin Nunes are competing to dethrone Louie Gohmert for "member of Congress who most needs his smug face beat in by outraged Italian grandmas with wooden spoons."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

The more you learn about Matt Gaetz, the easier it is to hate him. He and Devin Nunes are competing to dethrone Louie Gohmert for "member of Congress who most needs his smug face beat in by outraged Italian grandmas with wooden spoons."

Nah dude. He's from Florida. He 100% gets Cuban abuelas throwing their sandals at him.

Also, one of the most shocking things I read recently was that Gohmert was both his undergraduate and law school's class president. Like how?!?!? I was a member of my school's student government, and I couldn't see anyone like him getting near the class presidency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

I know this doesn't really relate to anything but Matt Gaetz is the name of the guy that wore the gas mask on the floor of the house of representatives.  Late to the party but I didn't know his name.  Seriously fuck that guy.  

The best part is that there's a different guy named Matthew Gaetz on Twitter, who works for Media Matters and has a decent sized following of his own (about 100,000 people). And every time the Congressman does something stupid, a ton of people send really terrible messages to the media watchdog, thinking that it was him. He seems to take it in good humor though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

The Polish police is asking criminals to refrain from criminal activities at the time of coronavirus. :)

Will be fascinating to see if there is a downturn. I can't help think virus related crime will pop up. Black market in medical supplies etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figured I'd share this. My great-uncle was a minority owner of General Cinema, and I always figured it was a doomed to something like this:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local library is closed until March 31!  I'm currently reading Moneyland by Oliver Bullough which is all about tax havens, how dirty money is hidden and all those cheerful things.  :ack:  Without access to the library I may have to reread ASOIAF especially if a shelter in place order comes down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in terms of my personal situation, I called my personal physician's office this morning to see if I needed a test. As I thought was a good possibility, my own doctor told me just to take over the counter drugs and call him again if i developed either a sore throat or shortness of breath, but that I probably didn't have COVID 19. Then a few hours later someone from an Omaha task force on the crisis called me and also said I did not have COVID 19 based on my symptoms, and that I could stop complete self-quarantine 24 hours after I no longer have a fever.

On the one hand that's good news -- on the other hand there is part of me that's scared about going down to my university office again even though I really need to (some of the notes I need for teaching online are there). Just have to steel myself and get down there. Of course a full time professor's office like mine is one where you can shut the door and be alone most of the time.

MSNBC just had someone high up in health services in Minnesota on, and he said that Minnesota still had so few tests that they can only verify the status of those who are already hospitalized. The most frustrating thing about this whole crisis to me is the lack of good data, where we really have no ideas how many people are infected and so have no idea how many have mild cases. It was always pointed out that we really should be doing surveys testing pepo;le for antibodies, so we can see how many people have been infected even if they no longer have active virus in their systems, but no one seems to be doing that at all. We still have such a basic lack of knowledge which is hampering everything and uncertainty makes people more anxious and irrational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

MSNBC just had someone high up in health services in Minnesota on, and he said that Minnesota still had so few tests that they can only verify the status of those who are already hospitalized. The most frustrating thing about this whole crisis to me is the lack of good data, where we really have no ideas how many people are infected and so have no idea how many have mild cases. It was always pointed out that we really should be doing surveys testing pepo;le for antibodies, so we can see how many people have been infected even if they no longer have active virus in their systems, but no one seems to be doing that at all. We still have such a basic lack of knowledge which is hampering everything and uncertainty makes people more anxious and irrational.

Since we've been talking about this, nebulizers and the like are flying off of the shelf. A staggering number of patient's I have to work for are needing them. Still yet to see a COVID-19 diagnoses, but it is noticeable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The most frustrating thing about this whole crisis to me is the lack of good data, where we really have no ideas how many people are infected and so have no idea how many have mild cases. It was always pointed out that we really should be doing surveys testing pepo;le for antibodies, so we can see how many people have been infected even if they no longer have active virus in their systems, but no one seems to be doing that at all. We still have such a basic lack of knowledge which is hampering everything and uncertainty makes people more anxious and irrational.

I was reading this morning there has been a serum antibody test developed and validated (which itself isn't a small task), I would imagine it's some kind of ELISA or similar technology. But again the problem is ramping up production to the scale needed. It's mind boggling the number of tests that need to be produced. Hopefully it will start to come in place and we can get some data soon.

The other side of this then is how long those antibodies hang around, I'd be really interested in seeing some serum antibody titres over the next 6 months to a year. Would give a indication of whether we can achieve any kind of herd immunity to this virus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DMC said:

So I cannot believe I didn't see this, but last night, Pennsylvania announced it will close all liquor stores for "at least" 14 days starting tonight at 9.  I didn't hear about it until around an hour ago thanks to a neighbor.  Rushed to my nearest liquor store, it was quite backed, but I was able to get 3 handles each of gin and whiskey.  Along with what I already have, that should last 3-4 weeks.  After that though, I'll have to switch to beer & wine (which at least so far can still be sold in grocery stores).  Gr.  Also, out all the silly news I've heard, how did I not hear about this - the most essential announcement to my personal life thus far outside of going to online classes for my job?  Double Gr.

Are they closed in Ohio?  You could go there if you ran out.

Every store I have visited is out of toilet paper and low on pain meds like Tylenol and such.  Today I found some paper towels and some off brand kleenex.  They were out of the large jugs of orange juice and also out of canned beans and pretty much all pasta.  No EmergenC powder.  They had Beyond Burgers, though, so I'm still in it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

Are they closed in Ohio?  You could go there if you ran out.

Even in Pittsburgh, that's quite a trek to get liquor instead of beer or wine.  I'm not that inflexible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Even in Pittsburgh, that's quite a trek to get liquor instead of beer or wine.  I'm not that inflexible.

 

I remember that from my time in Washington PA.  Its an odd law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good review of another article going around (the imperial article) and is kind of optimistic about what we can do about Covid19. Basically the South Korean/Chinese model of testing everything, isolating those who test positive and ensuring everyone knows about that person - as well as strict outside-the-country quarantining - means that you can very much deal with the outbreaks that follow.

The US can't do that now, but it's possible we can do that after we've had our Italy meltdown.

https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et-al-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

This is a good review of another article going around (the imperial article) and is kind of optimistic about what we can do about Covid19. Basically the South Korean/Chinese model of testing everything, isolating those who test positive and ensuring everyone knows about that person - as well as strict outside-the-country quarantining - means that you can very much deal with the outbreaks that follow.

The US can't do that now, but it's possible we can do that after we've had our Italy meltdown.

https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et-al-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions

Is it possible to enforce state "borders" in the USA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-nobel-laureate-Coronavirus-spread-is-slowing-621145/amp

2013 Nobel Laureate biochemist says the threat is diminishing and that much of the population probably has natural immunity, citing the cruise ship worst possible environment which still only resulted in 20% of passengers getting infected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...