Why is Hollywood responding so strongly to actors criticisms regarding Game of Thrones predominately white cast with the big upcoming epic fantasy adaptations?

Mwm

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I must have missed that the Arthurian legends were set in a fictional post apocalyptic world, I always thought they were set in some approximately of 6th or 7th century England. 

You straight quoted Darth Richard talkign about Wheel of Time you realise that right?

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You really need to look up the origin of so called Arthurian Legends.

But yes I was talking about Wheel of time in that quote...

I do?  Why?  What is it you think I don't know?  That they are a mash up of Welsh and English origin stories with a few crossovers to a couple possible Arthurs who appear in historical accounts?  That Gwen and Lance were added several hundred years later by a French guy?  Or what?  

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

Pretty sure this topic was about wheel of time.

My mistake, I thought the topic was ethnicity issues in casting in general, hence the long draw out discussion of Heathcliff, he's not in Wheel of Time is he?   

56 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Eh, it only goes one way, though.  It is some kind of crime against humanity level racism that white men are cast as racially ambiguous 'not one of us' Heathcliff, something so terrible that  it warrants pages and pages of ranting about it.....

Indeed, how ridiculous are those SJWs to argue that a character whose defining characteristic is that he is not white and that he's seen as a racial "Other" and whose storyline is in large part defined by racism he faces growing up... should not be played by a white actor?

The nerve! :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Good job Dev Patel is English then.

Its amazing how many of the biggest British actors from the current "in their prime" cohort of actors aren't white, but they don't seem to count as what could come to mind when you say "British man". I'd put Elba as my #1 for that category at the moment, but Dev certainly isn't small time either.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

Its amazing how many of the biggest British actors from the current "in their prime" cohort of actors aren't white, but they don't seem to count as what could come to mind when you say "British man". I'd put Elba as my #1 for that category at the moment, but Dev certainly isn't small time either.

I do have to say that currently this is less true of black actors (and musicians/sportsmen etc) than it is of Asian ones. Like, yeah, Elba does get all the silly arguments over whether Bond can be black, but then that he's widely been being touted as Bond for years says at least a solid amount of people think of him as not just British but representative of a quintessentially British icon. Similar was true of Doctor Who, where (and I include myself in doing this) years of discussion of whether the Doc should be a PoC were really only years of discussion of whether the Doc should be black. I don't think there's been too many discussions of similar vein about Asian-descended actors and I feel like Asian people born in Britain who do something that aggravates certain portions of the public are more likely to just baldly hear 'go back to where you came from' than black fighters who do the same (though of course being neither I can't say that for sure).

That probably has a lot to do with football.

48 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I do have to say that currently this is less true of black actors (and musicians/sportsmen etc) than it is of Asian ones. Like, yeah, Elba does get all the silly arguments over whether Bond can be black, but then that he's widely been being touted as Bond for years says at least a solid amount of people think of him as not just British but representative of a quintessentially British icon. Similar was true of Doctor Who, where (and I include myself in doing this) years of discussion of whether the Doc should be a PoC were really only years of discussion of whether the Doc should be black. I don't think there's been too many discussions of similar vein about Asian-descended actors and I feel like Asian people born in Britain who do something that aggravates certain portions of the public are more likely to just baldly hear 'go back to where you came from' than black fighters who do the same (though of course being neither I can't say that for sure).

That probably has a lot to do with football.

I always find it interesting when there is a push to include more ethnic diversity in tv and movies quite often that means ‘black’, and often completely ignores the fact that Indian / Asians are a bigger minority in the UK. There is a criminal under representation of Asian people on british tv and I find that disheartening. 

I think one of the reasons is that we often just follow the trends in the US. 
Also I think that acting isn’t a profession that is all that popular in the Asian community, which is why we tend to over represent in being doctors and dentists 

Archived