Sign in to follow this  
The Worm's Hole

So What Do You All Think of Zack Snyder?

@Ran

You know in a very roundabout way, it was actually the videos you and your (I think wife?) did about Game of Thrones that lead me to look at Zack Snyder's films in a certain way. It was something you said about the Martells. You guys should make more btw, really good stuff.

So yeah, it's really your fault.

Edited by The Worm's Hole

6 hours ago, The Worm's Hole said:

@Ran

You know in a very roundabout way, it was actually the videos you and your (I think wife?)'

Linda is my wife, indeed. :)

6 hours ago, The Worm's Hole said:

It was something you said about the Martells. You guys should make more btw, really good stuff.

We should, been kept too busy of late! 

I don't want to say I hate the guy, the way I do J.J. Abrams and Alex Kurtzman, but I do view the guy as a bit of an idiot. He did make some movies I enjoy however, like Dawn of the Dead 2004...................granted he was using a James Gunn script and James Gunn is amazing, IMO

I actually liked his version of Watchmen as well; Rorschach was particularly awesome in that film.

I'm afraid anything nice I have to say about the guy stops there however. Man of Steel might very well be one of the worst movies I've seen in my life. I mean product placement is shoved in your face so much in that movie, it almost becomes a joke. Superman's father being a horrible asshole didn't help things either; especially since I'm a Smallvillie fan and Jonathan Kent is a very awesome dad on that show. Zack Snyder using 9/11 type visually in the climax wasn't much better. I mean there's nothing more Superman to me, than being reminded of 9/11. Plus he made little to no effort to get Zod out of the city, which was dumb as well. Plus randomly giving Superman a "no kill rule" at the end of the movie, without ever establishing one, was beyond dumb; plus those random people could have moved away from the eye lazier on their own, instead of just sit there.

Batman v Superman is even worse in a way.  Zack Snyder apparently thinks Batman is only cool when he kills people; so he chose to make Batman into a kill crazy mass murderer. This hurts very hard, after seeing Nolan handle the character with such grace and care. Lex was just horrible in this movie, I'm honestly not even sure what Zack Snyder was even thinking with that casting. I'm a huge fan of the Lex character and loved nearly every version of the character before this film. I mean did he even have a plan to control Doomsday? Plus what was the point of Wonder Woman being in the film, when they gave her next to nothing to do, before the final battle. Next to Batman and Shazam, Wonder Woman is my favorite DC character and Snyder completely wasted her in that movie.

Edited by sifth

Hard to judge him on BvS as I suspect there were a lot of business interests interfering in that story. Wonder Woman is only in it to set up JL anyway. 

But then the whole movie is a mess, the plot and ‘MARTHA’ is just awful. 

I did like Batman in it though.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Hard to judge him on BvS as I suspect there were a lot of business interests interfering in that story. Wonder Woman is only in it to set up JL anyway. 

But then the whole movie is a mess, the plot and ‘MARTHA’ is just awful. 

I did like Batman in it though.

I liked Batman as well, but only when he wasn't violently murdering people. I'm not sure why he chose to treat Batman like he's the Punisher or Rorschach though.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I liked Batman as well, but only when he wasn't violently murdering people. I'm not sure why he chose to treat Batman like he's the Punisher or Rorschach though.

Cause it's fucking CUUL!

5 hours ago, sifth said:

do think he was like Rorschach, that is to say a kind of satirization (though not a comedic one). Like, Snyder used the same shadow-makeup that he used on the Spartans' abs to give him and Superman giant cleft-chins. I also think the V in the title isn't supposed to be short for the word "versus." I think it's a feminine symbol (the inverse of the primitive phallus the Spartans had on their shields). Wonder Woman has the same thing on her headband, and she was standing between Batman and Superman in the big hero shot. I don't think the title was supposed to say 'Batman versus Superman', it was 'Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman: Dawn of Justice.' I really don't think we were meant to know Wonder Woman and Doomsday were in the movie going in.

17 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

do think he was like Rorschach, that is to say a kind of satirization (though not a comedic one). Like, Snyder used the same shadow-makeup that he used on the Spartans' abs to give him and Superman giant cleft-chins. I also think the V in the title isn't supposed to be short for the word "versus." I think it's a feminine symbol (the inverse of the primitive phallus the Spartans had on their shields). Wonder Woman has the same thing on her headband, and she was standing between Batman and Superman in the big hero shot. I don't think the title was supposed to say 'Batman versus Superman', it was 'Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman: Dawn of Justice.' I really don't think we were meant to know Wonder Woman and Doomsday were in the movie going in.

Seriously?

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I mean I can get someone seeing deeper meaning some of Snyders work.. 

but the chances of anything you just said about Batman VS Superman being true are absolute zero, and it’s bordering on insanity to even countenance those ideas. I’m sorry to tell you that.

The "V" is an inverted phallus symbol of the Spartans didn't you know. 

It's definitely not called a lambda, indicating the Lacedaemonian peninsula where Spartans lived. Definitely not that. 

You're seeing an actual conspiracy believer hard at work folks. 

#releasethesnydercut

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I mean I can get someone seeing deeper meaning some of Snyders work.. 

but the chances of anything you just said about Batman VS Superman being true are absolute zero, and it’s bordering on insanity to even countenance those ideas. I’m sorry to tell you that.

Like I said, whenever I point out something I think is interesting in Snyder's movies the inevitable response, rather than actually talking about the movie or the elements in question, comes down to it being impossible because Zack Snyder is utterly incapable of cleverness or subtlety. You even said this,

there is a wealth of evidence on show that Synder is not a deep thinker and that his movies are on the whole pretty shallow pieces of entertainment rather than deeper explorations of a subject. 

How would one even provide evidence of this? Instead of talking about Snyder and whether or not he's an intelligent human being, since neither of us know him, why don't you explain why you don't think what I described makes sense? Why do you think Bruce Wayne quoted Dick Cheney? Why do you think it was a V instead of vs?

Look I’ve read interviews from Snyder where he discusses BvS and it’s not that there is no level of thinking going on with that movie. It’s just that he openly discusses the themes of the movie in those interviews and there is nothing that you wouldn’t have picked up from watching the movie and paying the lowest level of attention to it.

Snyder has themes and motifs in his movies but as I said before, they are signposted loudly , making them impossible to miss.

He is not subtle. At all.

The movie is called Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice almost certainly for marketing reasons, just as many of the decisions in the movie are due to marketing reasons. There might have been a good movie in there were it not for the need to set up another movie. Wonder Woman is there for marketing reasons, to build a universe. Nothing more.

10 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Why do you think it was a V instead of vs?

Well I think it's because Snyder wanted to draw at least the tiniest hint that it wasn't a straight-up versus movie. I'm not quite sure why since no-one was expecting them not to make up at the end anyway, but that's what it was, and I know that coz Snyder said so.

9 minutes ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Ftfy.

My username is Greek you witless goon. I've read the Alexiad, Tacitus, and Herodotus. I'll thrown in Marcus Aurelius just because I can. 

In other words, I actually know what I'm talking about because I've read source material. 

Any asshole can make shit up about dueling meanings of dual meaning in imagery.

Come back for more. Please. Please make me pack another bowl. 

ETA: phone autocorrected Aurelius into some funky shit.

Edited by Jace, Basilissa

5 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I don't mean to double post and belabor the point. But my username is LITERALLY in Greek. I guess ten seconds of googling might have saved someone from getting into the idiot bus and driving straight off a cliff.

He's driven off every cliff one could think of. 

"These are all near ideas that Snyder put into 300 and Watchmen, thus proving he's an underappreciated genius."

"Actually those were all in the source material."

"Okay, I will now grasp ALL THE STRAWS. I am literally the only person who thinks these things so I must be the underappreciated genius of this board."

Edited by DanteGabriel

6 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I don't mean to double post and belabor the point. But my username is LITERALLY in Greek. I guess ten seconds of googling might have saved someone from getting into the idiot bus and driving straight off a cliff.

Every community needs a Ralph Wiggum.