Will FAegon tame a dragon?

Alyn Oakenfist

Just now, Lord Varys said:

Sure, another book, most likely. And then little more than a couple of months will have passed. I guess the dragons might double size in TWoW, perhaps triple it, but anything else would stretch things.

Not if we have decades ahead of the us. The title of the last book is A Dream of Spring.  That is a clue to me that the last two books will cover many, many years.  The winter is supposed to last a long time (children born and die, all in darkness).  It will be Dany dreaming of spring.  

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That's not what you said. You talked about a Dance in general manner, not the specific manner of Targaryen vs. Targaryen.

Also, the crucial aspect of why the Second Dance is likely going to get that name might have less to do with dragons and more with there being at least one woman among the pretenders, allowing the man/men to dance a dance of fire and dead with her - just as Rhaenyra and Aegon II danced until they died.

Ofc because i don't think the dragons are going to fight, that's why i keep talking about the dragons and not you know,the Targs who would ride them.

Not very convinced with the rest but i don't have a better explanation  so...:dunno:

1 hour ago, frenin said:

Ofc because i don't think the dragons are going to fight, that's why i keep talking about the dragons and not you know,the Targs who would ride them.

Not very convinced with the rest but i don't have a better explanation  so...:dunno:

The point simply is that we don't have to expect there to be dragonriders killing each other in this Second Dance thing for it to be named the Second Dance. It could be enough that there are male and female pretenders and some dragons around.

Keep in mind that the War of the Five Kings is also a deliberate misnomer on George's part, just as the Second, Third, and Fourth Dornish Wars are.

The Second Dance of the Dragons may have pretty much nothing in common with the first.

Yes, and no. Aegon 6, whom I think has a real possibility of being the son of Rhaegar and Elia while still be a puppet dragon to the mummer's, will be allowed to ride Rhaegal because Daenerys will "subliminally" (or whatever) allow this. So this will be done at Dany's whim during a short-lived engagement between the two, and readers will pick up on this psi-link allowance, even though to the characters in the story it will seem as though Aegon "tamed" a dragon. Nope. Aegon will not tame any Dragon or dragon. He will lose that allowance when he is burned for a betrayal of love (for Arianne, most likely).

Or not? :dunno:

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yes, and no. Aegon 6, whom I think has a real possibility of being the son of Rhaegar and Elia while still be a puppet dragon to the mummer's, will be allowed to ride Rhaegal because Daenerys will "subliminally" (or whatever) allow this. So this will be done at Dany's whim during a short-lived engagement between the two, and readers will pick up on this psi-link allowance, even though to the characters in the story it will seem as though Aegon "tamed" a dragon. Nope. Aegon will not tame any Dragon or dragon. He will lose that allowance when he is burned for a betrayal of love (for Arianne, most likely).

Or not? :dunno:

Dany won't control or decide who claims either Viserion or Rhaegal. It has been already established that there can only be one rider per dragon. Dany has Drogon, she won't be able to control who rides the others. Or rather: only in the sense that she might be able to control physical access to those dragons, but right now she cannot even do that, and this might be the same in the future - especially if Viserion and Rhaegal were claimed by their first riders while she is away. If those were people who don't give a damn about Daenerys they might take their dragons and leave Slaver's Bay to do as they please with them. And if such a rider somehow ended up with Aegon's people he could claim such a dragon after the death of his rider.

Chances that Dany and Aegon are ever engaged are about zero in my opinion. That door closed for good when Aegon spurned the dragon queen along with her dragons in ADwD. There might be attempts to negotiate between the two factions before it comes to war, but I don't see an engagement there.

The fact that most of Westeros is likely to believe Daenerys Targaryen is a stinking corpse in the gutters of Meereen or out in the Dothraki Sea throughout TWoW makes it very unlikely Aegon's people will continue this fantasy that they might be able to marry one day. In fact, they might already bury such plans when they learn that Dany married Hizdahr zo Loraq - which, to this point, nobody in Westeros knows. But this is a news item that should reach them even before they hear about her alleged death/disappearance.

correct me if I am wrong but one has to have at least some targaryens blood in veins to possess a dragon. I cannot remember reading of any non-targaryen(related) dragon rider after the fall of valyria. so I guess if he tames one he is not "F".

• 5 months later...

I have a theory that this is how KL will burn. There is no way to proof ancestry in Westeros. But we know that only those with Targaryen / Old Valyrian blood can bond with dragons. I think there's some telling/foreshadowing that the quantum of this blood matters for dragon-bonding in both Brown Ben Plum and Quentyn Martell stories. Brown Ben Plumm, while his blood is very mixed, may have Targaryen/ Valyrian blood quantum through two theorized Targaryen ancestors. Vyserion takes a liking to him, we can speculate that he's reacting to the blood in him.  On the other hand,  Quentyn only has a drop through one Targaryen in his family tree, but the dragons did not respond to him. I think this is trying to show that dragon-bonding with diluted Valyrian blood is a dangerous bet. While not much is known about (f)Aegon yet to see just how diluted his blood might be, it's pretty clear that House Blackfyre hasn't exactly been able to keep the blood lines pure from the get. There is a lot of Tyroshi, other Westerosi in their mix and surely other bloods since living in exile;  that makes (f)Aegon's bonding with a dragon a dangerous proposition. We know however, that (f)Aegon already felt that he could be entitled to one of Dany's dragons before Tyrion told him not to think like a beggar. I  think that Dany will foolishly play on (f)Aegon's entitlement to proof his lineage by bonding with Rhaegal or Vyserion (maybe even Drogon), he'll fail to command the dragon and unleash the burning of KL. In the end, it's the type lose-lose situation that the story is heading to because 1) (f)aegon loses his life  2) It would cause divide in Westeros about Dany's position as claimant, getting a lot of blame for the burning making her unpopular if (f)Aegon is loved.  3) the burning would unchain the wildfire leaving her in an impossible situation to get out of specially if trying to restore Targaryen rule.

This also fits well with one of her prophecies from the House of the Undying ones where she's proclaimed the  "Slayer of Lies"  (through king-slaying and maybe even dragon slaying if things get really out of control up in the sky). It also fits with her search of the 3 heads, she may not fully trust that (f)Aegon is a Targaryen, but not completely willing to dismiss the possibility.

It's a sad situation for all involved. 

On 3/20/2020 at 6:06 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

After that Dany will become in the eyes of Westeros what she always despised, a usurper and what's more a kinslayer (Targ, Brightflame or Blackfyre he's still kin)

GRRM has said Karstark was "stretching the definition" to claim his execution was kinslaying. If Young Griff isn't regarded as Rhaegar's son, then he'd be a rather distant relation.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Aegon is not getting on unless he can convince them of his friendly intentions towards mom.

Do you think it might be liked the direwolves hostility toward Tyrion being the result of Robb's hostility?

On 3/20/2020 at 11:11 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I'm pretty much in the minority here, but I don't think the dance 2.0 is happening between Dany and Aegon

I don't think there's enough dragons for anything worthy of comparison to the original Dance.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, Lord Varys said:

just as Rhaenyra and Aegon II danced until they died

So Young Griff & Dany will both die in this dance?

On 3/22/2020 at 12:26 PM, Lord Varys said:

the War of the Five Kings is also a deliberate misnomer on George's part

There were five kings in the war, just not all at the same time.

just as the Second, Third, and Fourth Dornish Wars are

Gyldayn says the Second & Third are misnomers because the Dornish throne remained out of the conflict. But the Prince of Dorne himself launched the Fourth.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:05 AM, broken one said:

correct me if I am wrong but one has to have at least some targaryens blood in veins to possess a dragon. I cannot remember reading of any non-targaryen(related) dragon rider after the fall of valyria. so I guess if he tames one he is not "F".

You are wrong, Nettles tamed one by feeding it sheep.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, Tywin's Wallet said:

But we know that only those with Targaryen / Old Valyrian blood can bond with dragons.

Again, see Nettles.

While not much is known about (f)Aegon yet to see just how diluted his blood might be, it's pretty clear that House Blackfyre hasn't exactly been able to keep the blood lines pure from the get.

We know Daemon married Rohanne of Tyrosh, so there is that, but I don't think we know of any more mothers of Blackfyres (Daemon did have a daughter in Calla, but GRRM has indicated she & Bittersteel had no children).

On 8/29/2020 at 12:01 AM, Hodor the Articulate said:

Sure... if by 'tame' you mean 'eaten by'...

Hey, Nettles tamed one by feeding it meat. Maybe someone else could do the same with "long pig".

4 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

You are wrong, Nettles tamed one by feeding it sheep.

as I see it - nettles is a dragon seed. she is a bastard, child of a prostitute and sb with targs blood. the sheep is technique and it would not have been enough without the blood.

'Taming' seems to require only a single dragon-ride. Even with the feral dragons of the Dance, after an individual has ridden a dragon once they have mastery of that dragon, until the person dies and the dragon has to be claimed anew.

I don't see that Aegon will be the first person to ride any of the dragons, for the simple reason that he went west instead of to Meereen. The two dragons in the pyramid are currently uncontrollable; men died just dragging them into the pit, even though Dany was present for that.  It will not be be possible to get them into the hold of a ship, or to follow the march of an army without attacking the camp, unless they have already been mastered by a dragonrider.

That leaves the question of whether Aegon (or anybody else in Westeros not Meereen) could become the second rider of any of the dragons after it has been ridden to Westeros and the first rider has died.

I don't believe Aegon will survive until the story's endgame, so it become a question of which other characters he will outlast in the narrative. Tyrion remains a possibility for one of the dragonriders out of Meereen, but he's too significant a character to be killed of just so someone else can inherit his dragon. Who else in Meereen could become a dragonrider just long enough to reach Westeros before George kills them off?

22 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

Do you think it might be liked the direwolves hostility toward Tyrion being the result of Robb's hostility?

Perhaps.  Dragons are smart.  Drogon knew what was happening in The House of the Undying.  Drogon knew to come to Daznak's Pit when his mother was in trouble.  

On 3/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, Khal Rhaego Targaryen said:

I believe that no one will ride Viserion and Rhaegal. Yes, Euron can manage to sneak one of them but I highly doubt that he will be a dragonrider.

I doubt that , there need to be three riders for effectiveness.  Riderless they would be left to their own instincts, they probably wouldn't attack each other but would berserk, flee or get distracted like presented in historical records in the battles of the Dance.

We see that during the dance Dragonseeds, people with Targaryen or Valyrian blood could bind with them ( Addam Velaryon, Hugh the Hammer, Ulf the White  and even some who possibly don't like Nettles.)

Brown Benn Plumm seems to have natural affinity toward dragons.

9 hours ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Drogon knew to come to Daznak's Pit when his mother was in trouble. 

Hah! Wishful Targ fans. He came because of all the noise and blood

And what trouble was his 'mother' in? The locusts? How could Drogon know that

10 hours ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Drogon knew what was happening in The House of the Undying.

That was pretty obvious compared to the Pit. Tearing and grabbing his momma's breasts and legs is one thing and the poisoned locusts are an entirely different thing. 

Drogon came coz of the blood and noise. That's it. Not because he knew supernaturally about the poison danger or whatever nonexistent danger you imply. 

4 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

Brown Benn Plumm seems to have natural affinity toward dragons

Only one instance. And that too when they weren't fully grown. He has Aegon the Unworthy's blood anyway. Not sooooo diluted like Quentyn the frog. 

And about the OP... 

The pisswater prince is gonna make a nice snack for Rhaegal or Viserion (somehow I don't see Drogon bothering) 

On 9/2/2020 at 2:27 AM, broken one said:

as I see it - nettles is a dragon seed. she is a bastard, child of a prostitute and sb with targs blood. the sheep is technique and it would not have been enough without the blood.

There's really no evidence of any Targ blood in her, she's explicitly noted as looking different from the other dragonseeds and using a technique unlike all of them.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:16 PM, Buried Treasure said:

Who else in Meereen could become a dragonrider just long enough to reach Westeros before George kills them off?

Victarion.

13 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

The locusts? How could Drogon know that?

He's got very strong opinions on cuisine that go unnoticed because he doesn't speak Common and he's not a POV character. But he's definitely an "I will not live in a pod, I will not eat bugs" guy. Of course, those are really Dany's anti-bug opinions psychically transmitted to him and expressed in dragon form.

He has Aegon the Unworthy's blood anyway. Not sooooo diluted like Quentyn the frog.

Quentyn is also descended from Aegon the Unworthy, via his daughter Daenerys marrying Maron Martell. The difference is that Viserys Plumm had a Targaryen mother, which is officially where his Targaryen ancestry came from, and if you add that together with unofficaly father Aegon makes for "two drops" of such blood.

Archived